Runes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Runes

It's a common misconception that the accounts contained in the Eddas (and the Codex Regius) are older than the Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem. Certainly the extant copy of it IS late - the original being destroyed in a fire in the 18th century However linguistically the Anglo-Saxon rune poem IS early. And it's worth bearing this in mind I feel - certainly not trying to have an argument here though!
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
      It's a common misconception that the accounts contained in the Eddas (and the Codex Regius) are older than the Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem. Certainly the extant copy of it IS late - the original being destroyed in a fire in the 18th century However linguistically the Anglo-Saxon rune poem IS early. And it's worth bearing this in mind I feel - certainly not trying to have an argument here though!
      The cotton library fire destroyed many old texts, but those you are referring to are 9th century. Elder Futhark dates back to at least 200bc, and many say much older. The eddas themselves are stories complied from early Norse tales, which no date can be given in exact, but those stories, with the belief system and gods, outdate even the Elder Futhark system.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
      However linguistically the Anglo-Saxon rune poem IS early. And it's worth bearing this in mind I feel - certainly not trying to have an argument here though!
      Dont get me wrong in any of my posts, I love the poems. The Icelandic as well are very insightful and any true vitki should study all three types of poetry. But when it comes to magicka, and divination properties, I prefer the system that was brought to Odin
      "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
      And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
      They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
      The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
      - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=Norse_Angel;174005]The cotton library fire destroyed many old texts, but those you are referring to are 9th century. Elder Futhark dates back to at least 200bc, and many say much older. The eddas themselves are stories complied from early Norse tales, which no date can be given in exact, but those stories, with the belief system and gods, outdate even the Elder Futhark system.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it is difficult to 'prove' a date for the Elder Futhark - although there were runic signs going back probably thousands of years. But I do feel that it is even more difficult to prove that the stories in the Eddas outdate the Elder Futhark system. The problem with any oral tradition (and I include the heathen pre-conversion Anglo-Saxons in this) is that we cannot date them. We can make an inspired - or an educated - guess. But that's it. And the Anglo-Saxon rune poem shows a lot of evidence that could well have been a transcription of a much earlier, orally conveyed poem. How much earlier, of course, is anyone's guess.

People are often put off by Anglo-Saxon poetry and charms (and runes) believing they have been massively Christianised. Actually I would argue against that, for there is plenty of evidence of other, Germanic gods, including Woden in them.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
          Just sharing my own sets as well, I own several different types, each used for different practices and purposes. I have found wood, crystal and stone each have their own extreme differences and should be played around with by the upcoming vitki for comfort and knowledge. Just as posted above, I always stain my runes. It gives a sense of my own being to them, and it binds me eternally with the set. I also charge them by every full moon, and carry a set with me wherever I go.
          Hail, i have a few questions. First off, do you recommend a specific title by edred thorsson? A simple search on amazon.ca alone already gives me 20+ titles by him alone. Which ones would be good for a complete beginner? And i was wondering if the material and/or shape and size of the rune makes any difference? If so, how and why? Or does it just come down to personal preference? Because just off of the top of my head I could probably make my own set out of: wood (I know of 2 direct-from-the-mill lumber stores, between the 2 of them I could probably get at least 20 different types) metal (Id start cheap like copper and brass but I could potentially work my way up to silver and maybe even gold?) stone (granite and quartz are pretty common here in southern ontario, i could buy other types) and even leather (id have to find a way to etch the rune symbol itself onto the blank but i could use a thick piece of saddle leather, that would be tough enough) And since I'm on this topic, I want to know from every one here, whats the most unique way a rune can be made (in terms of size, shape, material, ect.) that you've ether done yourself or heard about?

Comment

Originally posted by Semi-Demi-God View Post
            Hail, i have a few questions. First off, do you recommend a specific title by edred thorsson? A simple search on amazon.ca alone already gives me 20+ titles by him alone. Which ones would be good for a complete beginner? And i was wondering if the material and/or shape and size of the rune makes any difference? If so, how and why? Or does it just come down to personal preference? Because just off of the top of my head I could probably make my own set out of: wood (I know of 2 direct-from-the-mill lumber stores, between the 2 of them I could probably get at least 20 different types) metal (Id start cheap like copper and brass but I could potentially work my way up to silver and maybe even gold?) stone (granite and quartz are pretty common here in southern ontario, i could buy other types) and even leather (id have to find a way to etch the rune symbol itself onto the blank but i could use a thick piece of saddle leather, that would be tough enough) And since I'm on this topic, I want to know from every one here, whats the most unique way a rune can be made (in terms of size, shape, material, ect.) that you've ether done yourself or heard about?
            Thorsson's first book is titled Futhark, start there. The best book for a beginner is Rune Primer by Sweyn Plowright. It doesn't matter what material your runes are made from, or what size they are. Wood is traditional, plastic polymer clay is practical and easy; bone, horn and antler are all good. Glass fish bowl "pebbles" can have runes painted on them. Stone is a lot of work. Cardboard squares and a sharpie are handy rune making tools, too.
            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
            Tribe of my Tribe
            Clan of my Clan
            Kin of my Kin
            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

My first set of runes, which I still have, were cut out from the attached chart. I have a set of colored stones, and a set I made myself by burning them onto wooden rounds with a wood burning tool. I have since made a few bind runes with it. For my wooden set, I blooded them by pricking my finger with a lancet and placing a drop of blood on the back of the rune. My thinking is that they now have some of my essence.

My runes.jpg futhark.jpg Gemstone runes.jpg
              śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
              śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
                My first set of runes, which I still have, were cut out from the attached chart. I have a set of colored stones, and a set I made myself by burning them onto wooden rounds with a wood burning tool. I have since made a few bind runes with it. For my wooden set, I blooded them by pricking my finger with a lancet and placing a drop of blood on the back of the rune. My thinking is that they now have some of my essence.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3863[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]3861[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]3862[/ATTACH]
                In your coloured stones set, do you know which stones each rune is on? I'm making my own set, with different stones chosen by each runespirit, but I'm always interested in collecting other people's mixed-stone combinations. A few of the runespirits have changed their minds once or twice (I've had trouble pinning stones down for Gebo, Eiwaz, Mannaz and Ehwaz, though they seem happy with the current selections). If you don't know the names of the stones, any chance you could get me a photo of them laid out? I should be able to figure most the stones out by sight (as I can with the pic above, though there are some interesting combinations there).

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                  In your coloured stones set, do you know which stones each rune is on? ...

If you don't know the names of the stones, any chance you could get me a photo of them laid out?
                  I got them online. Some day I might make my own set by picking out stones and using a Dremel tool to carve them. I would also try to get a feel for each stone.

Sure, I can arrange them and take a picture. I'll do it this weekend.

Comment

Here they are. I have a feeling the stones are varieties of agate.

Rune stones.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
                      Here they are. I have a feeling the stones are varieties of agate.
                      Cheers, hon. Not quite as mixed as I was expecting... they look like all the same variety... either a purple agate or maybe a low quality purple fluorite (though even low quality fluorite is always transparent so you should be able to tell if it's fluorite).

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                        Cheers, hon. Not quite as mixed as I was expecting... they look like all the same variety... either a purple agate or maybe a low quality purple fluorite (though even low quality fluorite is always transparent so you should be able to tell if it's fluorite).
                        Agate is pretty common, especially purple, so that's my guess. I use them occasionally. I use my own more often.

Comment

Originally posted by Semi-Demi-God View Post
                          For your first set, I would recommend wood. Do some research on magical properties of differing types of trees. Secondly, I would recommend you to go to a forest to find the materials you'll be using. For example, I made a set out of an oak tree that was set in a grove of oaks. In doing this, there are two different ways of extracting the wood itself. One, and what I would recommend, is to find the wood on the forest ground. Looking underneath any type of tree, you can find wood from that tree. Be careful, for if, for example, an elm is close to an ash, you may find their woods underneath each other. The best way to combat the mix ups is making sure you can identify right away. Also, look for hints as to what may have fallen from which tree (snapped branches, missing parts, etc) Your second option is to ask the tree for a piece of its wood. Some trees are more willing than others. If this sounds easier, I ask in the name of my gods. Example: "Oh sacred elm, with your branches swaying, In the name of Frigga, I ask of a small cutting of your spirit." If you feel the tree accepts, you may take a small branch from its being. If it does not accept, you will feel it decline. Its all about realizing your senses. Now, if it does accept, make sure you leave an offering thanking the tree. I leave blood on its bark. If you aren't accustomed to blood offerings, you may leave it something else. All up to preference. Never take from a younger tree, for it is still growing. Never take more than you need, and after cutting your runes, if you have left overs, make sure you use them in other types of ways (charms, carvings, etc)
                          If wood is not to your preferences, I recommend next, stone. River bed stone, very smooth and shaped. Carving the runes into stone is a fine task, and requires a couple tools. I use a dremel for all my hard substances, and a soldering iron for my woods, and leather. In carving stone with a dremel, you need diamond drill bits, with a cup, or bowl of water to submerge the drillbit and stone. The drill bit can overheat, causing the diamond to strip. Next is of course crystal, but make sure that if you do chose crystal, that when dropped, they will not roll. Tumbled crystals are a pain in this sense, for I feel that many will fall in the same direction if there are rounded surfaces, with one or two sides. Metals can be tricky. It is not traditional for metals to be used, but if you are comfortable with them, by all means, more power to you. Runes can be carved on everything from cheap line-leaf paper, to diamond. Just find something that makes you comfortable.
                          Edred Thorrson has many differing beginner books. Yes, I'd recommend his book "Futhark." It's a great introduction. I highly recommend against anything Ralph Blum. He DOES NOT follow any type of lore in his book, and it's basically his own self-made readings. Disgusting filth, I highly dislike this man.
                          You ask of the most unique set I've seen. Okay, I have a couple. One of my sets is made from elk bone, which I procured from the forest. It was freshly dead, must of died of natural causes, for there was no blood anywhere. You can imagine my surprise. I extracted everything I could from the beast, including the pelt, which I ended up making a bag out of for the runes. I feel very connected to these runes, for the time and energy I put into their creation. Next, I was gifted a stripping of cocobolo wood, which is very hard to find, and almost nearly extinct. I did a lot of oriental design into its creation, each rune took me at least an hour. I've never seen a set made out of cocobolo, and I am almost certain, mine is among the several that exists.
                          Runes are one of the oldest forms of divination, outdating the more popular tarot by centuries. It's not for everyone, but those who study their mysteries extensively, they can become your seventh sense. Welcome Vitki
                          - Finn's Saga

Comment

what about dried dead trees that I've cut down or have already fallen? and all this earth magic stuff I'm not used to, i was worried id ask a question the would just get me totally swamped with more information then i can handle

Comment

Dried dead tries are fine. Just make sure you use the same cutting to make all 24 runes. You don't want to use two different branches, try to use from the same. No worries, sorry for the over load. I just try to be as descriptive as possible so there wouldn't be too many questions afterward.
                              - Finn's Saga

Comment

Let me first address a common misconception about using stones or rocks to make runes. The term "runestones" refers to large, sometimes even monolithic-sized memorial stones carved with runes & found across Europe, Western Asia, Northern Africa, & North America. There is no historical evidence of "casting" runes made out of stones.

Traditionally, runes are carved into wood (Tacitus tells us in Germania that the wood of a fruit-bearing tree is used). Making a set of runes re-enacts the Teutonic creation story. The three brothers Odin, Vili and Ve created the First Man, Ask, from an ash tree & the First Woman, Embla, from an elm. Ve (or Vili, I can never keep those two straight) gave Shape & Form, Vili (or Ve) gave Life Fluid (in the story, its spit, but it's symbolic of blood, or maybe semen), & Odin breathed Sacred Breath into them. When you make runes, you give them form (carve or draw), breathe life into them (sing or chant the rune's name as you give it shape), and then stain them.

My motto: be practical. Precut pieces of wood are available at most hobby stores & the mega-mart-type hardware stores. No real need to cut & shape a branch (unless ya just wanna). That said, our Ancestors were resourceful & adaptable. If plastic-polymer clay (aka, Sculpy or Femo) had been available to them, it would probably be a traditional material today. As long as you're being respectful of what runes are, where they come from, & what they represent, I can't see that it matters what the material they are carved into, or painted onto, etc. Wood, stones, clay, bone, horn, antler, those glass pebbles that go in the bottom of the fish bowl... I've made runes from all of these, all work just fine. You can draw or paint your runes on cardboard or pasteboard squares (you can use paper, for all of that, but the pasteboard is a little more sturdy), and that's just fine, too. Clear nail polish makes a great varnish/sealer, is inexpensive and widely available, and comes with it's own handy brush. As to staining, a drop or two of blood in red ink works great. Heck, red ink alone works great, if you just don't wanna obtain blood. The Runatal section of the Havamal uses the word "stain" or "color' (depending on which translation you're reading), but doesn't say "blood".

Always think practical.
                                I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                                Tribe of my Tribe
                                Clan of my Clan
                                Kin of my Kin
                                Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                                And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Working...
                                X