Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tablet OS - which one to choose? Why?

Hello everyone!
    So I was thinking about switching a phone. I have an old phone, one that everyone had before the ipods, ipads and everything else of that sort appeared. And to be honest, this is satisfying. Me, at least.
    Now, I don't want to get an ipod. It's too small for my taste. I like big things (houses, cars, et cetera). So I decided that either I buy the same phone I have now, or purchase a tablet.
    So I know they have different operating systems. IOS, android, windows 7, 8 and 8.1
    I am hesitating between windows 7 and 8.1 My main purpose on the tablet is to install skype - to talk with people, and media - music, films and so on.

Considering the purpose of my future usage, which operating system should I choose? Why?
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Re: Tablet OS - which one to choose? Why?

Win 7 is a good OS on computers, I didn't know it worked on tablets till about 10 minutes ago so I have no idea how well that would go.
    I personally hated Windows 8 on a Laptop but I've never done much with it on a tablet.

Android does pretty good smartphone OS options and smartphones are close enough in function to tablets that I'd be surprised if they don't have a good tablet OS. Skype is also an available (and widely used) app in Google Play Store. I presume that the Apple Store has it equally available but I just confirmed it's existence in Google Play on my phone. I can't be bothered to look it up in Apple's equivalent.

Apple...

I don't like IOS. It has occasional nice features but overall, I have no use for it. For your purposes, the only issue that I will objectively point out as an issue is that Apple had issues with Adobe Flash when I was using an Iphone a few years ago and to my knowledge that feud is still very much alive. If Apple hasn't gotten over itself regarding Flash then there will be media and web content that phones and tablets running IOS will not have easy* access to.

*You can always root/jailbreak them but I don't consider it easy access if I need to hack my device to get access to a common program.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
      Hello everyone!
      So I was thinking about switching a phone. I have an old phone, one that everyone had before the ipods, ipads and everything else of that sort appeared. And to be honest, this is satisfying. Me, at least.
      Now, I don't want to get an ipod. It's too small for my taste. I like big things (houses, cars, et cetera). So I decided that either I buy the same phone I have now, or purchase a tablet.
      So I know they have different operating systems. IOS, android, windows 7, 8 and 8.1
      I am hesitating between windows 7 and 8.1 My main purpose on the tablet is to install skype - to talk with people, and media - music, films and so on.

Considering the purpose of my future usage, which operating system should I choose? Why?
      You could get a samsung note. Its run by android and is a mobile phone l, but is also a lot bigger than the average smartphone and doubles as a small tablet.
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I like android
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          I like android
          I like this ^^

RIP

You cut your hair short
          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Ok, and if you had to compare between android, and 8.1, which one would you choose? Why? Do you think one of them is easier to use?
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Ok, and if you had to compare between android, and 8.1, which one would you choose? Why? Do you think one of them is easier to use?
              Android android android android android.

8.1 sucks. Windows is going down hill fast. I had some hope for them with 7, but no. 8 and 8.1 suck. No no no.

Android android android android

RIP

You cut your hair short
              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

It is interesting that these days you have such a choice for OS's. It used to be apple or windows,or if brave enough Linux(some people loved it even way back when)..Seems now you have many choices and many different devices to choose from. Choose wisely(Last crusade) he choose poorly.....

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                  Android android android android android.

8.1 sucks. Windows is going down hill fast. I had some hope for them with 7, but no. 8 and 8.1 suck. No no no.

Android android android android
                  Ok, so persuade me. Why do you think android is good?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                  It is interesting that these days you have such a choice for OS's. It used to be apple or windows,or if brave enough Linux(some people loved it even way back when)..Seems now you have many choices and many different devices to choose from. Choose wisely(Last crusade) he choose poorly.....

Yeah, I heard that Linux was a horrible thing. That's why I'm not getting into it.

Comment

Not that it is horrible,but not for the faint of heart..It had a UNIX style command line interface that would even seem daunting to an old pro dos user like myself..some command strings could be some several dozens of command words combined in many many different ways. Why people who understood how to use them were called Wizards in the UNIX world.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I had a Google Nexus 7 tablet. Liked it very much but it stopped taking a charge after a year and that was that. I tried all sorts of things, to no avail. Also it couldn't support my business software. Now I have a MS Office Pro with the keyboard cover and it's perfect for me. I have Google Chrome browser installed, and my business stuff. It functions like a little laptop, even has a usb port where I sometimes use my old mouse. (Also had to finally upgrade my desktop this year.) So I'm all in with Windows 8.1

My phone is a Droid Maxx, which I also love. If your main use for a tablet is Skype, reading, etc., you don't need anything like the Office Pro. I'm sure Google has fixed their charging issues and has new versions of the Nexus tablet - I would reccomend you check that out. It was very lightweight and had good battery life (well, until it didn't LOL)
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I heard that Linux was a horrible thing. That's why I'm not getting into it.
                        Linux has some nice perks on a computer (and it does have a gui these days) but a lot of its better features require some tinkering to set up right. Android, is based on it IIRC. I haven't worked with any of the pure linux phones or tablets floating around yet.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Not having GUI can be a bit difficult. Well, from the point of view on access to different things, like personal files, skype and the internet, which one do you think is more easy to work with?
                          I've also heard that some OS have a difficulty of connecting to the WWAN.

Comment

Android is owned by google, so automatically all your search engines/mail etc works really well because your using google. Same with anything else owned by google, youtube.

High level of customisation. Waaay higher than apple etc. You can make it look how ever you like.

All the apps. It has everything. Originally there was less android stuff than apple, and it would get frustrating because things were released on the app store, but not the play store, now nearly everyone does both at the same time. Some even do android first. Android now has its own music store and everything. Windows is waaay behind.

Most other things have some level of compatibility with android, unlike apple which you can only use apple.

Thats what I've got off the top of my head. There is more, but brain.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment