Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Member of the Month, December Edition: THALASSA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Announcement! Member of the Month, December Edition: THALASSA!

Good morning, everyone! As of this month, we are bringing back our Member of the Month series!

For those of you who don't remember it, MotM was a monthly series where we (the staff) choose three participants, and you (the Supporters) vote on who the member of the month should be. Then, we (the staff) bring the results to the entire forum, and for this month only, we can ask our winner questions and expect answers (within reason, of course).

Da Rules:
    - Only myself and the winning participant can post in this thread.
    - All questions you want to ask must be PM'd to me.
    - I will then post the questions here.
    - Our winner will then answer them.

Let's pay attention to the rules, because it keeps this streamlined, and less messy.

Now...

Our MotM for December is: THALASSA!

Starting Questions:

1) What is your favorite word, and why?

2) What is your least favorite word, and why?

3) What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?

4) What turns you off?

5) What is your favorite curse word?

6) What sound or noise do you love?

7) What sound or noise do you hate?

8) What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?

9) Do you believe in an afterlife?

10) What is your spiritual path?

Mostly art.

Re: Member of the Month, December Edition: THALASSA!

YAY! Thanks!!

Ummm....okay, questions...

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post

1) What is your favorite word, and why?
    Nuanaarpoq, its a Inuit word that means something like "taking extravagant pleasure in the act of living"--there are some awesome world without an English equivalent for them, this one happens to be my personal goal. Sometimes life sucks--its hardscrabble, its miserable, its painful, and it makes you want to cry or give up...take glorious even in pleasure in that, because at the end of the day, it makes the sunset sweeter, the night skies shine brighter, the campfire warmer, and the food more fulfilling. And when good times return again, don't forget what it took to get there, enjoy the hell out of it.

...and flibbertigibbet, because its fun to say.

2) What is your least favorite word, and why?
    toll roads--because they are the dumbest thing ever

3) What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
    The ocean...trees...the kiddos...baking...a good campfire--pretty much anything that isn't about bills or work!

4) What turns you off?
    doing taxes, paying bills, being sick, my boss...and, lets be honest, my kids (it depends on our collective mood, children are capricious beings)

5) What is your favorite curse word?
    cumgurglingthundercunt

6) What sound or noise do you love?
    a rainy day by the window, waves, the call of the loon at sunset, and children giggling

7) What sound or noise do you hate?
    The sound of someone vomiting, seriously, I have to struggle not to join them.

Also, crying babies. Now that mine are past that age, I just want them to shut up...I have no patience left there (well, I do, but I have to work for it)--I spent all my maternal for baby energy on my own kids, and its effing work to dredge it back for someone else's kids. (this is the biggest motivation for safe sex ever)

8) What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
    I'd like to teach middle school science

9) Do you believe in an afterlife?
    Probably not. I believe in the possibility, but I think that it has nothing to do with how one should live life.

Strike that....I think one should live as if there is no afterlife, regardless of what one hopes is true about what they have chosen to believe. Everything you do, everyday of your life--whom you love, whom you hate, how much kindness you show your children, your friends, your enemies, a tree, a dog... That is your legacy. Live like every moment is the only thing you will ever have, and the waves or ripples of your passing are the only thing that will last. And when that is done, will you have made the world a better place or not (even if its just a tiny corner of it)?

That is the afterlife, or at least the only one that matters.

10) What is your spiritual path?
    The best description I can think of is bioregional witchery (and my bioregion is the tidewater area of the confluence of the the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean). Literally, I worship the ground I walk on...and the Sea, the Bay, the Sun, the Sky, the Trees, the Dolphin, the Horseshoe crab, the Pelican...usually through a Greek or Roman lens (Neptune, rather than Poseidon, for example--in this case, mostly because there's an awesome shrine to him not too far away, camouflaged as a tourist attraction), but sometimes via other deities--generally aquatic...La Sirena and Sedna, for example. I'm not an animist, instead I'm something of a hylozoist, in that I think everything is alive (or part of something that is alive), though not in the scientific sense. I am (in terms of doxa, or belief) a pantheist, (in praxis, or practice) a polytheist, and (intellectually) an agnostic. ...Maybe more than a dash of humanism in there too, for all three. The UUA had a slogan a few years ago that sums it up well--When in doubt, pray; when in prayer, doubt. I practice witchcraft, mostly of the home and hearth variety, with some...I think Rae'ya would call it Innerworlds work, and herbalism.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X