Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doll making

I love dolls of all kinds!
    But when it comes to making them, I adore crafting primitive fabic dolls from muslin or calico cloth. I'll stain their skin with tea, coffee or nutmeg, and then partially stuff them with herbs.

I've always been a fan of Beatrix Potter's and Thornton Burgess folk tales and often times got my doll designs and concepts from their story characters.

Anyone else here enjoy doll making? And if you do, what is your favourite kind of doll to make and materials to use?
    "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Re: Doll making

Almost sounds like Voodoo type doll stuff...Interesting thought that...So maybe a doll for good or Ill?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I've made dolls with different purposes for myself and clients before, but mainly guardian dolls. They're filled with protective herbs and are placed on hearths or altars to watch over the home.

Comment

This was a hobby of mine as a child. Cloth dolls with yarn hair. I suddenly have am urge to start again! Do you have pictures of the ones you've made?

Comment

I've done healing dolls and I have always wanted to do a butzemann. I have such a small yard every time I think I will do one I change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by KarrinMurphy View Post
            This was a hobby of mine as a child. Cloth dolls with yarn hair. I suddenly have am urge to start again! Do you have pictures of the ones you've made?
            I've taken few pictures of my guardian dolls, odd enough. But I probably will in the near future. I'm currently working on a small companion for one of my larger dolls, and may post photos of it here in a bit.

Comment

20150105_162654_by_xxpokerxx-d8cqyyn.jpg
              So here are the two dolls I've been working on. Pardon their nudity. :grin:

I've yet to make their dresses. They're for a client, mother and daughter.

Comment

I used to make dolls. I made them more realistic than playful - heads, hands and feet out of polymer clay - bodies were armature wire skeletons wrapped with wire mesh, fleshed out with poly fill and covered with muslin. I also hand-sewed their costumes. Their hair was basically just glued on hair from human wigs. I should get back into it actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
                  I used to make dolls. I made them more realistic than playful - heads, hands and feet out of polymer clay - bodies were armature wire skeletons wrapped with wire mesh, fleshed out with poly fill and covered with muslin. I also hand-sewed their costumes. Their hair was basically just glued on hair from human wigs. I should get back into it actually.
                  That sounds fantastic. I did a few dolls like that in the past. Though their hair was made with raw roving wool.

If you ever make another, I'd fancy seeing the finished result.

Comment

Originally posted by OldMotherWestWind View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3671[/ATTACH]

Your bunnies are adorable!

I'd love to make dolls, but I don't have the patience or the sewing skills.
                    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by OldMotherWestWind View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]3671[/ATTACH]

very cute

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                        Your bunnies are adorable!

I'd love to make dolls, but I don't have the patience or the sewing skills.
                        Thank you.

You could always give it try nonetheless! I get impatient occasionally, but it's something you can do in parts rather than all at once.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by SleepingCompass View Post
                        very cute
                        Thank you!

Comment

OldMotherWestWind, those bunnies are amazing and they look so professional!

I'm not a doll person and not certainly a sewing person but this topic got me interested... Maybe one day. Would be nice to make a reindeer figure of some kind. (Although, with my skills I'd better start off with an amoeba.)
                          baah.

Comment

Comment

collage_20150113163235742.jpg
                              Another pair of bunnies I delievered to a new home today.

Comment

Working...
                              X