Multiple Altars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Altars

For those of you who work with multiple entities, do you have multiple altars? I assume that some in the same pantheon might be okay with sharing one (unless they're enemies), but what about from different pantheons? Does each entity get their own altar?
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Multiple Altars

I have one permanent devotional altar, one in-progress ancestor altar and a working altar. I use the working altar for temporary devotional work and haven't had a problem thus far.

Comment

I have just the one, shared between the Cailleach and Bride. It's not so much Bride I have a connection with as the Cailleach, but as they're two sides of the same coin I don't feel I can miss Bride out, it wouldn't be respectful. I hope to get to know her better.

If I develop a connection with another deity at any point then they'll get a separate altar.

Comment

I have two Altars. One for Yahweh and the Christ, and the other for the Holy Spirit. Though, the three of them have shared one altar before.
        "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

I have 4 1/2 altars: One to the land/house spirit, one for the Virgin Mary and the Archangels (Uriel seems to be fine sharing with her), and an altar to the Iluma. I haven't sensed any displeasure at the arrangement so far. :3 In fact the hesitation is mine--I feel that having gods from different pantheons on the same altar would be awkward, like shoving new guests into a room that's already occupied. When I felt the need to have a place to honor Antinous*, I knew I'd need another space which I don't have right now.

So I decided to find an "All-tar", a portable shelf that would serve as a place for temporary offerings of any gods/spirits/ancestors that I sense I should honor. I figure that putting intent toward the gods as I decorate it and make offerings would give the charge it needed to reach those deities. I can crochet altar cloths for the different deities, and while nicer candle holders can be a bit more work to find/buy, once it's dedicated to that god it's a permanent fixture for Them that I can use and store safely once the offering is made. I haven't used it yet, but it is sturdy enough for both indoor and outdoor altars, if need be.

*I believe Antinous helped me find the 'altar' for him; a red-beaded wall tea-light holder. It's his AND it looks beautiful on the wall when it's lit. Extremely practical, since I have no more flat space.

Comment

I have one altar and several shrines. My altar is less a devotional space, and more a working space.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I have one altar I worship at - my worship being defined as offerings of libations, food, light, incense and/or whatever else I think of - and prayers when I put on my hammer pendant. This is an Asatru altar. At the end, even if it's just for the two minutes it takes to say the hammer-donning prayers, I get down on my right knee, bow my head and put my right fist over my heart (when you think about it, the fist is shaped like a hammer ). I have other areas that are halfway between shrines and displays of objets d'art for statues or pictures of other non-Asatru deities. I don't make offerings or worship to them, however, sometimes just a nod of my head out of recognition and respect.
              śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
              śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

A few a few small shrines for each the deities I honor (plus an ancestor shrine). They're all from the same pantheon, but I prefer each having their own individual space, as tends to help keep me focused. Plus I only really have somewhat smaller areas to work with, so it keeps any one shrine from becoming too crowded.
                Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I actually don't have any altars, and I work with a pantheon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                    I actually don't have any altars, and I work with a pantheon.
                    How does that work without altars? I'm interested in how you do it.
                    Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

Honestly, I've never found much use for them. For awhile, I had an altar table that I had custom built set up in my bedroom. But I rarely "used" it as a place of practice. My home, the places outside my home, are all places I've done energy work in, lit candles in, made offerings, asked for guidance, etc... There's no specific one place I ever work in for everything. So there are no altars.

My kitchen is my kitchen, and is one of the places I work in because of the facilities. Same goes for my porch, the pine tree behind my home, the fire pit behind my home, the lake I visit fairly often. My deities come with me and I honor them in the way I live my life, how I take care of my family, and in the way I do my best to incorporate their lessons into my life. I hope this makes sense.

I should note that I generally don't do what most people would call "rituals." I don't generally require many (if any) tools for what I do that aren't already incorporated in my everyday life.

I hope that makes sense. If it's confusing or you're looking for a specific situation, ask away.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                        Honestly, I've never found much use for them. For awhile, I had an altar table that I had custom built set up in my bedroom. But I rarely "used" it as a place of practice. My home, the places outside my home, are all places I've done energy work in, lit candles in, made offerings, asked for guidance, etc... There's no specific one place I ever work in for everything. So there are no altars.

My kitchen is my kitchen, and is one of the places I work in because of the facilities. Same goes for my porch, the pine tree behind my home, the fire pit behind my home, the lake I visit fairly often. My deities come with me and I honor them in the way I live my life, how I take care of my family, and in the way I do my best to incorporate their lessons into my life. I hope this makes sense.

I should note that I generally don't do what most people would call "rituals." I don't generally require many (if any) tools for what I do that aren't already incorporated in my everyday life.

I hope that makes sense. If it's confusing or you're looking for a specific situation, ask away.
                        This was very interesting. Thank you very much for sharing it!
                        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

No, no, you're making sense. I was curious about it, is all. I don't generally have an altar, but I do have a shrine or a 'Deity space', as I tend to call it. But it's so simple and holds a little offering cup, an incense holder, and two candles. Other then that, I don't have anything for my religious space.
                          Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

I will say that if I could find any statues I liked of my deities, I would definitely make a space for them somewhere in my home. But that ideal has been pretty stunted due to the frequency of which I've relocated in the past 10 years. Hopefully one day.

I do have something of a vila (fairy) "entertainment" center on a bookshelf that I don't move (to avoid upsetting them). It's something I maintain because of the amount of activity we get in this location (a LOT of my husband's cigarettes went missing when he was still smoking, and keys, and hair clips and... everything). That's about as close as I have to a permanent setup in this place though.

At any rate, happy to share.

Comment

I don't have any altar at the moment, but some deities I thought of including in my future altar are Djehuty, Bast, Ma'at, Seshat and another separate altar for Hodur.
                              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                              X