Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using copper to cleanse objects

Hello all.

I have read that placing a copper item, a penny for instance, on an object can cleanse the object of any negativity. Can anyone please confirm?

Re: Using copper to cleanse objects

I've never heard of this. Copper is conductive, but it would need something to conduct the energy 'to' - traditionally the earth is used in this context. A copper connection between the object in question and the ground would work, but no better than just leaving the object in contact with the ground, or ideally burying it.

Comment

I agree with Aeran. I suspect this has come from someone's misunderstanding of copper's conductive properties. It's great at conducting energy... but in and of itself is not known for it's ability to 'cleanse' other objects on it's own. To cleanse another object, an object (generally a stone/crystal of some sort) usually has to have an absorptive and transmutative effect. It absorbs the energy from the object, then changes it's frequency. An item that just absorbs will end up a sinkhole for the unwanted energy and will start giving off those energies itself. An item that conducts energy needs to conduct it somewhere in order to be of use... otherwise it's just being filled up with unwanted energies that have nowhere else to go.

You could use copper to capture and conduct the unwanted energy elsewhere... but you need an 'elsewhere' in order for it to be a useful system. And the reality is that most of the stones that are known for 'cleansing' other stones don't need a conductor because they absorb it on their own. If you didn't want to use other stones though, you could ground the copper into the earth. As Aeran said it's not that much different to burying the object directly in the earth, but personally I would think that using a copper conductor would have a faster and more reliable result. How well your patch of earth absorbs and transmutes energy depends on your patch of earth... using copper would bypass that and make the process an active process rather than a passive one.

Comment

Very interesting.

I didn't mention that it was recommended that salt be put on the pennies. Could the copper conduct the energy to the salt?

Comment

Salt is itself a purifying substance and can be used to cleanse objects.

Copper does possess some antimicrobial properties, like many other substances considered to be cleansing substances. So, there may be something to the thought that copper can be used to purify, but I've never heard of it actually being used. The antimicrobial property stems from the toxicity of metal ions on simple organisms, and is also observed in mercury, silver, iron, lead, zinc, bismuth, gold, and aluminium. Of those metals, silver is considered a purifying agent. Gold and iron are sometimes considered useful for cleansing also, but in certain circumstances (iron will frighten fae for example). I mention this because there is a large trend for substances which are traditionally used to cleanse and purify, to be harmful to microbes. This may stem from practices used to preserve food, back in a time when it was believed spirits caused food to rot.
          “They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
          Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
          -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
            Salt is itself a purifying substance and can be used to cleanse objects.
            Thanks for the reply.

Could you please tell me some methods to cleanse an object using salt?

Comment

Originally posted by Asatru View Post
              Thanks for the reply.

Could you please tell me some methods to cleanse an object using salt?
              For me personally, I'll put a bowl of sea salt in a room to absorb negative energy (usually a room I'm in a lot, such as my bedroom or the kitchen), and change that out every few months or so. If I want to cleanse something that I don't want getting wet (like paper), I'll pour sea salt on it. When I purified my herb jars, I put salt in them, closed them, and shook them up. Then I would dump out the salt and wipe down the inside of the jar clean. I've also used salt dissolved in water to purify the water.
              “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                If I want to cleanse something that I don't want getting wet (like paper), I'll pour sea salt on it. When I purified my herb jars, I put salt in them, closed them, and shook them up. Then I would dump out the salt and wipe down the inside of the jar clean. I've also used salt dissolved in water to purify the water.
                Do you just sprinkle salt on the paper or would you cover it with salt? Where would you dump the salt after? The reason I'm asking is because I'm very anxious about an exam that I will be doing soon and I want to cleanse the pair of shoes I will be wearing for it.

Comment

Do you just sprinkle salt on the paper or would you cover it with salt? Where would you dump the salt after? The reason I'm asking is because I'm very anxious about an exam that I will be doing soon and I want to cleanse the pair of shoes I will be wearing for it.
                  I have a pot of dirt that I bury things in after I do spell work, or I put food offerings in after a time, etc. When that wasn't possible for me (because I was living in a tiny apartment), I threw the salt away.
                  “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Please always throw salt in the rubbish, not outside on the dirt. And please definitely don't bury salt.

Comment

You could probably just sprinkle them with salt and say a few words. Though, you'd probably want to bless them after. Just cleansing something doesn't necessarily make it any more helpful, it just rids it of unwanted energy. Cleanse an object first to make it neutral, then charm/bless/curse it to attune it how you want. There's lots of methods of cleansing. I know people who put objects into moon or sunlight to cleanse them (sunlight not recommended because it can fade or outright bleach pigment from things).

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                      Please always throw salt in the rubbish, not outside on the dirt. And please definitely don't bury salt.
                      The reason for this is that salt kills a good chunk of things that live in dirt, from plants to bacteria. It's the reason "salting the earth" was done to totally ruin fields during wars. At least in America, the trash will end up in a landfill eventually and cause the same problems. Of course, it is a landfill so I guess the point is moot if it kills stuff living there.
                      “They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
                      Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
                      -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                        The reason for this is that salt kills a good chunk of things that live in dirt, from plants to bacteria. It's the reason "salting the earth" was done to totally ruin fields during wars. At least in America, the trash will end up in a landfill eventually and cause the same problems. Of course, it is a landfill so I guess the point is moot if it kills stuff living there.
                        Plus in landfill it gets spread around anyway, and burned, and generally your bit of salt is not enough to cause a major catastrophe. But if you are regularly dumping salt into your backyard, you can be causing a number of problems with your local patch of soil (it kills plants, kills the beneficial bacteria but also increases soil salinity and reduces the soil's ability to absorb and distribute water). Landfill is also... already 'dead'. Which is an issue with the creation of landfill and is a bit of a moral conundrum. We don't want to contribute to landfill, but the landfill that is already there is already there.

You should also never dump it in waterways. Except potentially dumping pure sea salt (not iodised table salt) into the ocean.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                          You should also never dump it in waterways. Except potentially dumping pure sea salt (not iodised table salt) into the ocean.

<--------makes her own sea salt, and dumps it back in the ocean (unless its been otherwise used)
                          “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                          ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                          ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X