Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should kids swear?

Yes? No? Maybe? Sometimes? And why so?
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: should kids swear?

Not in front of elders or people they should show respect to. In their free time and with peers? Already happens.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I think it depends on the age, the words used, and the manner that they are used. At the age my kids are now, hella no. They get caught saying a bad word, automatic big trouble. They just don't have the level of nuanced discernment to always figure out when cursing is appropriate, or the self-control to not do it when its not. Its better to nip that in the bud*. Around 3rd or 4th grade (if they are anything like I was) they'll start doing it with their friends anyhow, which is 1) perfectly age appropriate, and 2) none of my business--I don't believe in spying on my kids in order to bust them without cause, especially for minor things. And, by the time they are in high school, if they want to say so-and-so is acting like a *itch or let loose with the occasional "damn it", in front of the parents, I'm okay with that. What I'm not okay with is calling someone an effing so and so, or cursing to teachers, or to grandma. Its okay to be cool with mom and dad when its not serious, its not okay to tell your teacher to effing *uck themselves.

*although I did recently let Chickadee's (proper) use of the phrase "badass" slide...she was practicing a gymnastics move she's been having trouble with and finally got it, and complimented her own badassedness...Dad thought it was hilarious (and TBH, I also giggled--the kid is missing her 4 top front teeth, it sounded more like she was talking about a haberdashery.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I've seen videos on youtube of babies dropping the f-bomb, and I think it's a real mark of no class on the parents. I don't swear around kids. That being said, like a couple other people already mentioned, your kids are already swearing around their friends by the time they're nine or ten. I wouldn't let my hypothetical spawn swear at me, the teachers, or anyone else in charge of them.
        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I've never understood why certain words are so offensive (aside from those commonly known to be racial/gender/special-needs slurs). It also annoys me that it's somehow ok, even expected, for men to use expletives, but not women.

Context is offensive - I'm more concerned with how people use their words than I am with which words they use. You can wound someone to the bone using perfect vocabulary. Besides, the 'f-word' is so useful and universal - it shouldn't be age-restricted.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Young kids no I dont think they should. But as for teenagers 14 and up saying they cant swear isnt going to stop it from happening . As for it being offensive to some people , honestly u cant do nothing these days with out someone geting offended so why not.
            Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

I've never understood why certain words are so offensive
              It more or less depends on social context (eg. it's quite common for a lot of mostly younger guys here in Aus to use the phrase "cunt" as a compliment, as in "X is a sick cunt," whereas if they were to go and call their girlfriend a "stupid cunt" in an argument, it would be meant, and correctly interpreted, as fairly awful insult). Likewise, words which were considered horribly offensive like "bloody" or "bastard" a century or two ago are now tolerated, even considered mildly humorous, since we're less squeamish about bodily fluids and not so concerned with the marital status of an individual's parents as we used to be. It's just a question of changing social mores.

What bothers me is when people try to "swear without swearing." Phrases like "the '[letter]' word" bother me, because they're just a way of saying the word without taking responsibility for saying it. If you're going to say fuck, say fuck. If you're not, then don't. Everyone knows exactly which word you mean anyway, and it most likely pops into their head the moment you say it, which defies the entire point of trying to avoid saying it. All you're doing is adding to the taboo nature of the word by trying to tiptoe around it.

Comment

My grandson already believes that I am Mrs Brown...
                It might be because of my cardigans. but on the other hand...
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

My husband is a gamer. He swears, a lot, especially when gaming, but he also knows when to shut it off (aka at his grandmas' or mom's) I know my daughter will pick it up, and I'm a huge supporter of lead by example and don't be a hypocrite as a parent. It always drove me up a wall that my parents could swear but I wasn't allowed, even today they growl at me for it.

So its a dilema because Nova is starting to talk and I know she's too young to understand when it's ok but I don't feel right completely forbidding it.
                  We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                  It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                  Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                  -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                    What bothers me is when people try to "swear without swearing." Phrases like "the '[letter]' word" bother me, because they're just a way of saying the word without taking responsibility for saying it. If you're going to say fuck, say fuck. If you're not, then don't. Everyone knows exactly which word you mean anyway, and it most likely pops into their head the moment you say it, which defies the entire point of trying to avoid saying it. All you're doing is adding to the taboo nature of the word by trying to tiptoe around it.
                    Heh, my use of 'f-word' was because this thread isn't in the Adult Section. I self-censored.
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Then again, we can say feck instead.

Comment

This is making me think of 'frell' and 'dren' from Farscape or 'frak' from Battlestar Galactica

I don't have any kids, so I don't have a strong opinion on this, I just remember what my mom said when I was little: "If you curse and other kid's parents hear you, they won't let you play with their kids. Kids who curse don't have any friends."

Comment

Doesn't make much difference in my part of the world. Swearing is a strange thing - and I suspect the Brits are more inventive perhaps than our American cousins. Spoonerisms, anyone?: Dr Spooner's Ducking Fumb Academy? Or the Cupid Stunt Academy?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                          Doesn't make much difference in my part of the world. Swearing is a strange thing - and I suspect the Brits are more inventive perhaps than our American cousins. Spoonerisms, anyone?: Dr Spooner's Ducking Fumb Academy? Or the Cupid Stunt Academy?
                          (apologies to the moderators, but since this is a thread about swearing I thought it might be permissible - and it's not exactly obvious unless we go looking...)

Actually take no notice of any of this... an accidental combination of white spirit and cognac ...
                          Last edited by Tylluan Penry; 04 Jan 2015, 14:32.

Comment

I have a question for this, when is something a swearword? Is calling someone an idiot swearing? Numb nuts? A**hat?

Furthermore I'm sort of puzzled by many people who think swearing is wrong, but the self same people have no problems using slurs.
                            Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

I am not a parent. So my two hundred pessos aren't worth much. I think kids shouldn't swear around others who are not their peers. Or in situations that require you not be swearing. Like dude mr Priest that's some fucking awesome wafer you got there. Yeah. No.

But we all swear among our friends. Swearing is like masturbation. You all do it. But don't be doing it in the living room when your aunt is over for Sunday dinner. Sorta like that.
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                              X