Help with learning and finding a path.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with learning and finding a path.

I've always felt close to the planet, and I care about the environment enough that for the past couple of years I've worshiped Earth and nature itself. I'm fairly new to Paganism (I've looked into a few times before) and I have a few books on Greek dieties, but I'm new to the practice itself. The Norse gods are interesting and I'm drawn to Heathenism. I'm just not going to rush and say things like "I'm a heathen", "I worship the Norse Gods" or even "I'm a strong, independent shieldmaiden who don't no viking" without more knowledge.

What I'm basically asking for is help in how to get started. Not just in Heathenism, but to go through things as a solitary and to find my way on my own. Even pointing me to a couple articles would help. I'm a bit overwhelmed and never imagined just how many branches are under the term "Pagan".

I'm sorry if I seem a bit rude.

Re: Help with learning and finding a path.

No u dont seem rude at all. As for being solitary and learning and finding a path ive dabbled in heathenism for a short period and although that as a path didnt work well i still worship norse gods and I believe in there creation story to some degree and believe in the norns as well. Id suggest reading the edda serching for heathen ran websites and things like that . Unfortunately being solitary means doing a lot of research and finding a path with out the help of a guide but all I can say is research . There are a few heathen groups on Facebook we have some heathens here . And not to mention a lot of people on here give great advice.
    Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Don't worry about feeling confused on where to start. It's fairly normal.

I would ask you to clarify the point, however, when you ask about getting started - what do you want information regarding? "Getting started" can mean a variety of things - so what do you want to do? Learn more about how to practice magick? How to worship deities? How to honour Nature? Etc.?

I think that it's always a good idea to research paths themselves. Perhaps you could commit one week to learning about a particular path. Week one could perhaps be a study in Druidism. Week two could encompass Wicca. Week three could encompass Heathenry, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by satanic witch View Post
        No u dont seem rude at all. As for being solitary and learning and finding a path ive dabbled in heathenism for a short period and although that as a path didnt work well i still worship norse gods and I believe in there creation story to some degree and believe in the norns as well. Id suggest reading the edda serching for heathen ran websites and things like that . Unfortunately being solitary means doing a lot of research and finding a path with out the help of a guide but all I can say is research . There are a few heathen groups on Facebook we have some heathens here . And not to mention a lot of people on here give great advice.
        Alright, I'll see if I can get a copy of the edda and check it out.

Originally posted by Torey View Post
        Don't worry about feeling confused on where to start. It's fairly normal.

I would ask you to clarify the point, however, when you ask about getting started - what do you want information regarding? "Getting started" can mean a variety of things - so what do you want to do? Learn more about how to practice magick? How to worship deities? How to honour Nature? Etc.?

I think that it's always a good idea to research paths themselves. Perhaps you could commit one week to learning about a particular path. Week one could perhaps be a study in Druidism. Week two could encompass Wicca. Week three could encompass Heathenry, and so on.
        To simply put, how to worship. I don't really care to learn magic, and I already do my best to honour nature. I think I'll go with that suggestion, with check out each path individually before making a final decision.

Thank you both for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Vredny Yad View Post
          Alright, I'll see if I can get a copy of the edda and check it out.
          You can read the Eddas and other Norse texts on-line @ Sacred Texts. http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/ice/index.htm The Norse texts are listed under Icelandic because it was Icelanders who preserved the texts and lore. I would start with the Prose Edda. http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/pre/index.htm Keep in mind when reading it that Snorri Sturluson was a Christian, so the Edda has a bit of a Christian slant.
          śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
          śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Working...
          X