Gender roles in pagan faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gender roles in pagan faith

After doing some reading, I have become confused about how important a persons gender is in doing group work.

It seems that different writers place different levels of importance on gender and sexuality when it comes to practicing

Just wondering how people feel about male versus female roles in practicing group worship or ceramony.

Re: Gender roles in pagan faith

Importance will probably vary on the tradition and the ritual. Is there a specific tradition you're looking at?
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

What kind of things have you looked at? Personally I don't place much significance in gender. I have heard people express prejudices with some things, like "women can't be shamans" and "men can't be witches" but I've never seen anything to support such things myself. Most if what I have read has been very open to both genders as well.
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Need to ask another clarifying question are you talking about gender (society's construction of how men and women are supposed to behave) or sex (as in biology). Because I never really could see why on earth gender ever mattered in any practise. (Can't really see it for sex either, but I suppose I could make a case for it if I had to.) My problem with both sex and gender as an influencing factor is that while my sex is female my dress, expression and general behaviour leans very much towards how society expects the male gender to behave and dress and in that respect have more than once been taken for a guy - especially on-line which has been the caue of no end of mirth on my part.

But to give a brief answer to your question apart from Gardnerian and Alexandrian Wicca (and a couple of off shoot) plus Dianic Wicca I haven't really seen any practises or traditions that pay any attention to either one.
        Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

I know that more traditional Dianic paths often discriminate against transwomen. Is that what you were referring to?
          Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by jjhovind View Post
            After doing some reading, I have become confused about how important a persons gender is in doing group work.

It seems that different writers place different levels of importance on gender and sexuality when it comes to practicing

Just wondering how people feel about male versus female roles in practicing group worship or ceramony.
            As others have said, it depends entirely on the particular tradition and group that you are working with.

Some traditions care. Some don't. But really the only important thing is that the energies that you are manipulating don't care.

Personally I don't think it makes a difference. Personality, personal belief structures and personal skill are what influences what you can and can't do.

Comment

In Satanism, women are just there to satisfy the sexual needs of the man and to serve as a sexy sacrifice to badass demons.

/sarcasm

In my beliefs gender is just a biological setting, unrelated to more magical workings.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Working...
              X