Snuff or Blow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snuff or Blow?

When putting out candles, what's your preference and the reasoning why?

I blow them out. To me, it's symbolic like when I make a wish on a dandelion; further sending my intention out into the atmosphere.

Words and the ideas they conjure influence my feelings on things like this. Snuff just sounds so harsh and final, like ending/killing what I just focused on.

Re: Snuff or Blow?

I vaguely remember reading somewhere before where the author said it's disrespectful to the fire elementals/spirits to blow out fire and that snuffing was more respectful. Personally, I've tried both and I don't feel any animosity directed towards me when I blow out the flame; so I tend to blow them out too, just because it's easier.

I like your imagery of dandelions and wishes; now I'm also thinking of birthday candles too

Comment

I generally blow out candles when in reguards to gentle or respectful intent, like a daily prayer to my deities. Snuffing, is usually reserved for imprecatory prayers or spells, since my intent is no longer as gentle.
      "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

I was taught that breath is impure, and to snuff the candle out. And also not to re-light an incense cone or stick that has gone out and offer it back to the deity(ies). So, these are things I follow. But the candle thing is usually moot because I use tea lights and let them burn for their duration while I am home. If I do a very tiny short offering knowing I am going out, I use birthday candles.
        śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
        śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I blow them out, because I feel it's more personal than stuffing.
          Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I always blow them out, sine I feel this is The right way for me to do it. I agree with Habbalah it feels more personally.

Comment

I blow them out too, there's just something right about it.
              You remind me of the babe
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Comment

This was not the thread I thought it would be after reading the title.

I do both depending on how I feel at the moment. Usually for ritual I'll cap off the candle so it snuffs out, but I blow them out fairly often too.
                Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                  This was not the thread I thought it would be after reading the title.
                  And for the 2nd time tonight, I LOL'd here.
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I always blow them out because I feel that my breath carries my intention to its destination.
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

These are pretty good reasons why it's not improper to blow out candles. I must re-think.
                      śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                      śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

IMO, it depends...what am I doing and why?

Blowing a candle out is removing the flame by introducing air to remove heat (energy)...snuffing a candle is letting the flame remove the air til it essentially suffocates.
                        In my way of thinking, the first is an additive method and the second, subtractive. In whatever working you do, does it matter? If so, choose the appropriate method. If not, which is easier or more fulfilling or whatever standard it is for one to percieve "better"?

Do that.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

I blow out candles when I use them because I'm scared of burning my hand on fire, and I don't have a snuffer.

Still, I would probably prefer to blow them even if I did have a snuffer. There is just something about it that is more personable when blowing on the candle than simply lowering a metal cone over it.

Comment

I usually blow them out very gently. Personally I view it as imbuing the spell or ritual with my own personal energies (and I often will include some sort of visualization with the action). Snuffing them out is much more passive to me, especially if using an actual snuffer. I used to use those back when I was more worried about things and had heard (like many do) that blowing candles out is "disrespectful" or some other thing.

I blow out candles very gently because I've had the unfortunate experiences of having flaming ash fly around everywhere as well as splatter from wax that's very unpleasant.

Comment

I should have also added that before I blow out a candle I whisper "thank you" first, to whomever the candle is representing.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                              X