what wood is your wand made of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what wood is your wand made of?

I have a couple, but I am more acustomed to my Athama.
    One is a very thin, oriental piece of silver I was gifted. There are small carvings which make up the handle, but besides that, it's quite plain.
    My wooden wand is made from the root of an old cedar tree, which fell during a storm. I managed to extract the perfect piece to use, which I do on occasion.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

I have a couple of wands, but I've never used them. My favorite is a downed twig from a chestnut oak in my family's yard. That tree has special significance for me, as it was what opened my head a year and a half ago.

Comment

It was probably in'04 or '05 we moved into some apartments
        when I was changing from Shamanism to Paganism. I live in
        the high desert in So. Calif., so choice of woods for a wand
        was few and far between. This was also a time when my pains
        are changing locations and severity.
        My step-sis's laser gall bladder surgery went bad, it was
        out-patient; after recouping at her cousins house she had
        to go back in, the laser cut her colon in three places and
        she had all that leaking into her for a week ! Anyway, I
        went up to help my Mom take care of sis's 6wk old kid.
        Mom was pretty much deaf so I was her ears.
        What was great I had access to all kinds of trees !
        there was a dead oak next to drive-way, I found a nice
        straight stick for wand and I have a nice wide smoke
        quartz point for the top-still not made !
        I did tho make myself a wand, and I wound up using
        Yucca stalk for my wand. Yucca being hollow, represents
        Air, red string for handle as Fire, dolphin glitter on the
        shaft represents water, and what I stuck inside was to
        represents Earth. I've got a tumbled clear quartz on top
        and a wooden bead to "plug up" hole.
        I got on a kick last year and made a dozen "starter" wands,
        stone on top, string around handle, clear coat and ready
        for someone to put their finishing touches ! They were
        suppose to go to my first Pagan Pride Festival, but I as
        usual forgot them ! Oh well, I'll sell them elsewhere.
        Gentle Light
        MsMollimizz

Comment

Originally posted by Luna View Post
          My wand spoke through me as a fir branch, wich were laying on the ground. The energy of that branch was so intense that I could not continue my walk before I had picked it up. The second I placed The branch inn ny hand I new this was my wand meant to be

Bit hos about you and your wand. What is The story and which type of wood is it?
          Ivy. Or Gort as us Druids call it. It fell on me when I was out walking. Seemed rude not to fetch it home with me and make good use of it. It has served me well.

Comment

I have three

The first one is pine, made from dowling and stained white. My mother made us 'Harry Potter wands' when we used to have Harry Potter parties back before the movies made people think about how they'd be shaped. I must have been ten at the time. It's silly, part of a costume, but it's still the most comfortable to me.

The second was a gift from my grandmother. It's much more 'witchy', made of twirly oak and with a clear crystal at the end.

The third I made myself from a branch of our pin tree in our back yard. I sanded it smoothish, glued a crystal to the tip, and wrapped copper wire around it to hide the glue and amplify the charge. It's knobbly and crooked, but I made it myself from a tree on our property. So I like it.
            She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

Which wand?
              I have several but the one I use most often is made from a Spruce branch that was gifted to me through a wind storm. Hand carved with three flutes that extend to the center. It has an iron rod through each of the flutes and is fitted with a clear quartz point and the heel is an obsidian point.

My first wand was a willow branch about 3/4 inch diameter. It was fitted with an Iron rod that I magnetized using heat and a home made electromagnet. In the center of the wand was a ring of copper and a matching ring of zinc both made and fitted by me. The tip was a white quartz point and the heel was a dark smoky quartz point. Most of my ritual wands have a magnetic core. Some are very ornate but the wands I use most are relatively simple. The points are fitted by drilling a hole in the end of the wand and cutting three notches forming six "fingers". The hole is large enough for a close fit into which the point is inserted. The crystal makes physical connection to the iron rod and is held in place with cotton string, stainless steel or zinc wire which grasps the point by compressing the "fingers" of the hole. The shaft is then waxed to bring out the beauty of the wood and to seal the wire windings to prevent them from loosening.
              One of the classes I teach is the fabrication of altar tools and weapons. From holy water and sacred salt to daggers (athame), altar stones (shields or Pentacle), to censers and drums. In our tradition the cup or goblet is gifted to the initiate at his/her initiation ritual.
              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
              X