• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Libation offerings

śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: Libation offerings

I don't do the pouring part every time, as the toast/consecration is an offering as well. I think it's good to do the pouring offering often though as it better keeps the sacrificial aspect.

Comment

Thanks, I thought it might be important but I didn't want to have an ocpd flare-up like I had with Hindu pujas. Truth to tell, my reasoning is a little lazy... it's getting farkin' nasty, windy, cold and rainy 'round 'bout these here parts. I find myself running outside with the bowl and hurrying back in the house. I'm so ashamed! So then, I'd probably do an outdoors offering weather permitting. I also want to make a small stone altar outdoors for that. I found a little verse: "Hail honored ancestors, alfar, disir, landvaettir. From the Gods to the Earth to us; from us to the Earth to the Gods. A gift for a gift. Hail!"

Comment

I like that verse!

I think the best way to think of it is how much heart you are putting in...if you feel you are doing yourself and who you are honoring justice. If that is accomplished, then really the formalities mean relatively little for a personal ritual. There is always a sense of making it your own and "winging it" in play for everybody.

Comment

So true... "A for effort", "It's the intentions that count", "If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water I will accept it". Note to self: remember these. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
            Thanks, I thought it might be important but I didn't want to have an ocpd flare-up like I had with Hindu pujas. Truth to tell, my reasoning is a little lazy... it's getting farkin' nasty, windy, cold and rainy 'round 'bout these here parts. I find myself running outside with the bowl and hurrying back in the house. I'm so ashamed! So then, I'd probably do an outdoors offering weather permitting. I also want to make a small stone altar outdoors for that. I found a little verse: "Hail honored ancestors, alfar, disir, landvaettir. From the Gods to the Earth to us; from us to the Earth to the Gods. A gift for a gift. Hail!"
            There's no reason you need to pour a libation to the gods outside, unless They asked you to. As far as I'm concerned, once they've accepted the offering, it's 'empty' and can be disposed of however you like. My gods don't seem to care what I do with it once they've taken the energy and intent from it.

I know that there's this idea that pouring it out onto the earth is completing some circle or giving back to the earth or whatever. But really... what self respecting landvaettr actually wants alcohol poured onto it's soil? How is that helping the land? The landvaettir usually want things that will enrich and enliven the land... in which case you're better off pouring manure or green stock onto your grass than you are mead. It's all well and good to talk about honoring the landvaettir along with everyone else in a toast, but I think some of our modern practices are little more than lip service that no one has thought that hard about.

Comment

My landvaetter seem to prefer their alcohol left in the bowl/glass/etc... and I can practically guarantee the husvaetter do...
              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
              Clan of my Clan
              Kin of my Kin
              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Ha ha, well can I just say I'm relieved I'm not the only one who rushes out to give their offering then rushes back inside! (Not so much for weather reasons, I love the rain! But I have nosey neighbours who ask weird questions like "Where are you going with that apple?" and "Why are you pouring that out there?").

Though, I usually do whatever I get a nudge to do. There's been a few instances where all that's been required is me pouring out an offering into a cup and that's it. I'm pretty headblind though, so when in doubt I put whatever I've offered outside- as long as it poses no threat to the wildlife around my place.

Comment

I can always count on the folks here to come through.

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                  There's no reason you need to pour a libation to the gods outside, unless They asked you to. As far as I'm concerned, once they've accepted the offering, it's 'empty' and can be disposed of however you like. My gods don't seem to care what I do with it once they've taken the energy and intent from it.
                  That's good to know, because I never got the feeling it was required by them. In fact, they may have been telling me by my confusion over it it's not necessary. I think they and/or Thor himself have been telling me to keep things simple, including the altar. I get a better feeling of connection saying a few short prayers, raising the horn and toasting everyone, and drinking with them when I'm at the altar, than I do pouring some out on the ground.

I know that there's this idea that pouring it out onto the earth is completing some circle or giving back to the earth or whatever. But really... what self respecting landvaettr actually wants alcohol poured onto it's soil? How is that helping the land? The landvaettir usually want things that will enrich and enliven the land... in which case you're better off pouring manure or green stock onto your grass than you are mead. It's all well and good to talk about honoring the landvaettir along with everyone else in a toast, but I think some of our modern practices are little more than lip service that no one has thought that hard about.
                  Originally posted by Rick View Post
                  My landvaetter seem to prefer their alcohol left in the bowl/glass/etc... and I can practically guarantee the husvaetter do...
                  When you leave it for them, how does it disappear? Do you dispose of it in some way?

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
                  Ha ha, well can I just say I'm relieved I'm not the only one who rushes out to give their offering then rushes back inside! (Not so much for weather reasons, I love the rain! But I have nosey neighbours who ask weird questions like "Where are you going with that apple?" and "Why are you pouring that out there?").

Though, I usually do whatever I get a nudge to do. There's been a few instances where all that's been required is me pouring out an offering into a cup and that's it. I'm pretty headblind though, so when in doubt I put whatever I've offered outside- as long as it poses no threat to the wildlife around my place.
                  Yeah, I'm sure my neighbors think I'm a bit whacked. Especially one busybody I haven't spoken to in 4 1/2 years, but who made it her business to come and interrogate my brother-in-law last summer to ask him why he was painting the house and doing some fix-ups.

Comment

Alcohol evaporates pretty quickly. Just be sure it is out of the reach of curious children and curiouser pets.
                    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Clan of my Clan
                    Kin of my Kin
                    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,

Comment

Comment

P.S. I rarely leave more than a thimbleful... it's amusing to watch them wear the thimble and dance drunkenly...

Clan of my Clan
                        Kin of my Kin
                        Blood of my Blood

Comment

Ah! I see.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post

Something else to think about is that the spirits of the land are either native to that land or naturalized to it, just as its plants and animal species are. The *Local Embodied Mystery* (by whatever name one's tradition calls it) is something that is largely cross-cultural, but recognized differently regionally or historically. But at the end of the day, they belong to the land ultimately (unlike deities, which I think "belong" more to the people--though "belong" is not really the best word). IMO, that means how one ought to interact with them depends very strongly on the land itself. How one approaches a bioregional spirit of the Western US should be respectful of that area's history and ecology, and will likely look quite different from what one historically did in Ye Olde Wherever*.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X