This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a name for my beliefs?

I've been studying pretty much all of the major pagan paths now for about 3 years but never spiritually. In the past it was always just a slight interest in reconstructionism because I'm quite fond of history but recently, in the past 6 months I've realised that a lot of pagan philosophies make a lot more sense than my prior Christian beliefs. Anyways I'm quite a passionate pantheist, I don't believe in a god(s) that is sentient or has human like characteristics. Instead I believe that what has been venerated as deity over the millennia is nature, as in the energy that is the universe and is every single one of us. Everything has a soul and all these bits of souls or bits of energy combined form the universe which is a timeless omnipotent omniscient being but not omnibenevolent. In the same way that the sea, a raw primordial power is all powerful but not necessarily a caring force. I believe that as all things are connected via their individual soul or aura that makes them unique and all these unique auras together form the universe or deity. As humans have the greatest brain capacity out of all the beings in the universe we are capable of tapping into this universal energy through intense concentration, whether it's prayer, meditation or magic. I also believe that all gods were invented by people so as to have a totem to represent this force and give it a more human feel so as to ensure easier communication between man and the universe, although worship of nature in it's raw form is also possible and to be encouraged. On the gods note I feel personally drawn towards the Olympian Greek gods for my own personal veneration of the universe as I believe them to be most representative of the arch types that they're supposed to represent e.g. love, wisdom etc. Anyways do my beliefs have a name or is there a pagan path out there that can accommodate what I believe? In the past on other forums people have said I'm everything from Hellenistic reconstructionist, Hellenic Wiccan, soft polytheist, atheist pantheist to druid! I know a label isn't necessary but I think if I had one it'd be easier to relate my beliefs to family and friends all feedback appreciated thanks

P.S. Just to clarify I don't believe that the Greek gods are figments of peoples imaginations, I believe them to be another aspect of the universe I've already mentioned and that by viewing the universe through it's guise of Athena or Zeus we are able to envision it better for worship. If that makes sense.

Re: Is there a name for my beliefs?

You're a Naturalistic Pantheist with a strong leaning towards Animism. Well, a Neopagan that is!

You may relate to that: https://naturalpantheist.wordpress.c...ng-an-animist/

But labels can only do so much.. The most important thing is knowing what you believe in, what makes sense to you. That's not always an easy thing to accomplish, for some of us it takes a long time to fully realize yet at the end of the day we are still perpetual seekers. After that placing a theological label on your beliefs is only secondary.

I myself had quite a hard time defining my metaphysical beliefs. Agnosticism makes sense but all things considered I am a Deist at core, yet I don't believe there can only be one God, one and only metaphysical progenitor. I am therefore Polytheistically inclined, yet I don't relate to the the definition of 'personal gods'. I am not into the pantheons of old which despite considering them as legitimate attempts to understand and make sens the world in the point of view of ancient civilizations, in my opinion they are primitive and inaccurate. So I am a Polydeist. Adding to that, I draw from many other concepts such as Buddhism, Hinduism, Occult/Esotericism ect. All that which speaks to me.

For more on Polydeism (it's not a very popular concept): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydeism
    Last edited by Wonder; 22 Jan 2015, 22:37.

Comment

Thanks that link basically just summed up what I believe besides the whole vegeterian thing and ancestor veneration thing:P

Comment

Hi, I haven't been brave enough to introduce myself yet (I have been lurking ) but I just had to jump in and say that what you describe is pretty much my feelings too

I believe that gods as such, are the representations we have created for the different aspects and sides of nature/energy. As humans I believe that it is easier for us to grasp the things we cannot explain by giving them a name or personality, and this where the God idea comes from.

That's my two pence worth

Comment

It's really good to hear someone else with the same beliefs as me aha my only issue is that i dont know what to call G(g)od/dess

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbeam View Post
            Hi, I haven't been brave enough to introduce myself yet (I have been lurking ) but I just had to jump in and say that what you describe is pretty much my feelings too

I believe that gods as such, are the representations we have created for the different aspects and sides of nature/energy. As humans I believe that it is easier for us to grasp the things we cannot explain by giving them a name or personality, and this where the God idea comes from.

That's my two pence worth
            Hey, Sunbeam, feel free to jump in! Promise, we'll welcome you.
            Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Oops wrong thread. Move on.
              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Northman View Post
                I've been studying pretty much all of the major pagan paths now for about 3 years but never spiritually. In the past it was always just a slight interest in reconstructionism because I'm quite fond of history but recently, in the past 6 months I've realised that a lot of pagan philosophies make a lot more sense than my prior Christian beliefs. Anyways I'm quite a passionate pantheist, I don't believe in a god(s) that is sentient or has human like characteristics. Instead I believe that what has been venerated as deity over the millennia is nature, as in the energy that is the universe and is every single one of us. Everything has a soul and all these bits of souls or bits of energy combined form the universe which is a timeless omnipotent omniscient being but not omnibenevolent. In the same way that the sea, a raw primordial power is all powerful but not necessarily a caring force. I believe that as all things are connected via their individual soul or aura that makes them unique and all these unique auras together form the universe or deity. As humans have the greatest brain capacity out of all the beings in the universe we are capable of tapping into this universal energy through intense concentration, whether it's prayer, meditation or magic. I also believe that all gods were invented by people so as to have a totem to represent this force and give it a more human feel so as to ensure easier communication between man and the universe, although worship of nature in it's raw form is also possible and to be encouraged. On the gods note I feel personally drawn towards the Olympian Greek gods for my own personal veneration of the universe as I believe them to be most representative of the arch types that they're supposed to represent e.g. love, wisdom etc. Anyways do my beliefs have a name or is there a pagan path out there that can accommodate what I believe? In the past on other forums people have said I'm everything from Hellenistic reconstructionist, Hellenic Wiccan, soft polytheist, atheist pantheist to druid! I know a label isn't necessary but I think if I had one it'd be easier to relate my beliefs to family and friends all feedback appreciated thanks

P.S. Just to clarify I don't believe that the Greek gods are figments of peoples imaginations, I believe them to be another aspect of the universe I've already mentioned and that by viewing the universe through it's guise of Athena or Zeus we are able to envision it better for worship. If that makes sense.

Hello. Could you save me some time and tell me when you were going thru your research if any of the Pagan religions/sects could be confirmed to be true by using modern scientific inquiry and testing ? As an example...I understand that some Pagan affirmations include our Mother Earth being able to give off personal energy / direction / and the like thereby having a personal element and essence .... but im not sure if modern science has emphirically uncovered such ? I guess im trying to seek out a Religion that science HAS confirmed to be true , does not contradict science , and one that can be tested using good reason and logic incorporating scientific scrutiny since science is in the business of discovering intelligent and natural causes for our realities that exist. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking a Religion View Post
                  Hello. Could you save me some time and tell me when you were going thru your research if any of the Pagan religions/sects could be confirmed to be true by using modern scientific inquiry and testing ? As an example...I understand that some Pagan affirmations include our Mother Earth being able to give off personal energy / direction / and the like thereby having a personal element and essence .... but im not sure if modern science has emphirically uncovered such ? I guess im trying to seek out a Religion that science HAS confirmed to be true , does not contradict science , and one that can be tested using good reason and logic incorporating scientific scrutiny since science is in the business of discovering intelligent and natural causes for our realities that exist. Thanks.
                  Hmmm...

Have you considered "science"?
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    Hmmm...

Have you considered "science"?
                    I have and do consider science but im inquiring as to how science affirms Pagan beliefs in general . What is the emphirical scientific evidence for the affirmations of Paganism ? Or : What makes Paganism true from an objective unbiased perspective ?

Comment

What is the emphirical scientific evidence for the affirmations of Paganism ? Or : What makes Paganism true from an objective unbiased perspective ?
                      A. None
                      B. Nothing
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                        A. None
                        B. Nothing
                        Then, how do we know that what Pagans follow is true and a reality ? Wouldn't it therefore qualify as the possibility of a quasi-fairy tale if there were no objective backing in which to place ones faith in ? I guess in other words im saying : What is Paganism grounded in that qualifies it as believable and what is the overarching reason why people follow it if it is void of scientific confirmation ? Thanks.

Comment

Then, how do we know that what Pagans follow is true and a reality ? Wouldn't it therefore qualify as the possibility of a quasi-fairy tale if there were no objective backing in which to place ones faith in ? I guess in other words im saying : What is Paganism grounded in that qualifies it as believable and what is the overarching reason why people follow it if it is void of scientific confirmation ? Thanks.
                          It's religion. Yes, that makes it fairy tale, mixed with something else...

People follow it for the same reasons they follow any other religion...

Comment

Does it really matter? Quite honestly, religion is a tool. My reality is different from your reality, and whether that is the 'true' reality, is irrelevant. I follow my path, and you follow yours. So long as my path leads me to do good deeds, believe in myself, and live my life with joy, does it really matter if it is grounded in fact?

Take metaphysics, for example. Now, I'm sure some stuff is plausible, like rare cases of telepathy, and the such. But look at crystals and herbs. Both crystals and herbs have metaphysical properties. When did they acquire their metaphysical properties? How can we tell they have these properties? You don't stick a branch from the Ash tree in your mouth, and sense love and prosperity. Did it grow these properties, like leaves? Does hematite tell you that it is a grounding stone...no. There is no quantifiable way to measure these things. Quartz did not go from a siliceous magmatic fluid, to suddenly possessing power. It didn't experience metaphysics during its cooling stage. Someone, at some point, made an intuitive guess, and decided that yes, this object symbolizes this thing.

And now, if that's not make-believe, I don't know what is. But even knowing that, does it matter to me, when I create magical incense? No, of course not. Because there is power in your own belief. It doesn't matter if it is true.

Mostly art.

Comment

I have and do consider science but im inquiring as to how science affirms Pagan beliefs in general . What is the emphirical scientific evidence for the affirmations of Paganism ? Or : What makes Paganism true from an objective unbiased perspective ?
                              They're flawed questions. I say that because any spiritual path requires belief in the unknown and the unprovable. For example, one of the entities I work with is Kwan Yin. Can I tell you about my experiences with Her? Sure. Can I prove that She's real? Of course not, any more than you can prove that She's not real.

No spiritual belief is going to have an objective, unbiased opinion. It's either based on the thoughts, beliefs, and politics of the person that formed it in the past (if it's a known religion), or your own thoughts, beliefs and politics, if you form it yourself.

There's nothing saying you can't be spiritual and believe in science. I certainly do. I just have experiences that can't be explained by a scientific process, and I accept that, because I believe (not know, because I can't prove it) that they are true, and that they give me a sense of happiness and peace.
                              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                              X