X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric and Ilsa can't make ends meed on $450,000 per year

Original column: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle22496585/

About the backlash: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01...n_6502356.html

So, there was a pretty big viral story in Canada about a couple in Vancouver who were having trouble getting by on their $450,000 annual household income. The original piece was from a financial advice column in the Globe and Mail (a big national newspaper) called "Financial Facelift." The Globe has stated that the question was real and that they did a background check to make sure that these people were for real. They don't usually give advice to the rich, but I think they took this story on to make a statement about the insane house prices in Vancouver. Anyway, the gist is that he's a doctor who works 2 days a week as a physician and 1 day a week teaching at a university (it doesn't say which one, because they apparently want to protect their identities) for a total income of $300,000 (all prices are in CAD) annually. She is a dentist who works part time for $150,000 annually, though she is currently on maternity leave (6 months in Canada). They have 5 kids and live rent-free with relatives. They own a lot that they bought for $1.1 million, but they haven't built anything on it yet. They send all of their school-age kids to private school.

Before anyone freaks out about the price of their property, I'd like to note that that is pretty much in line with the average property price in Vancouver at the moment. It's pretty hard to find anything cheaper than that (and a million usually just gets you a lot or a lot with a wreck of a house on it). They -could- conceivably live outside of Vancouver, but that also has a lot of challenges. Most surrounding areas of the Greater Vancouver Area are also pretty expensive, and you have to add commuting costs to your budget, which can get high. To see any significant savings, you have to get a couple of hours out of the city, which makes a pretty challenging commute. People do it, but I'd say that since their high income would allow them to pay off their Vancouver mortgage if they'd just be smarter with their other costs, the property purchase wasn't totally unreasonable.

Anyway, personally, my beef with this was less the fact that they work part-time and more the issue that they DO have enough money to have a pretty comfortable life. Yet, the column doesn't even mention cutting costs. Instead, it suggests that he works one more day a week. I know that could also work, but he has since stated (see HuffPo piece) that, although he works few days per week, he still pulls in a lot of hours, which is believable for a doctor (though, I'd debate his 80-100 hours statement, because even if he worked 20 hours per day, it couldn't possibly add up to that many hours....either he is low-balling how many days he works or overestimating the hours he puts in).

Their monthly costs are INSANE, and I think they're trying to live a millionaire lifestyle with 5 kids. They could -probably- pull it off if they had 2 kids, but they have 5. That means they should really be cutting some corners. I just don't understand why Financial Facelift wouldn't even suggest that. I mean, their budget includes sending FIVE children to private school. I know that school scores have been slipping in Canada, but as far as public education goes, it is still one of the top countries in the entire world. BC is ranked towards the top in comparison to the rest of Canada, and as someone who knows a fair amount of teachers, I'd say that the quality of public education is VERY high in the province. There is really no need to send your kids to private school...they're not going to get -that- much out of it, especially if they have a supportive home environment (the kids who would benefit the most from smaller class sizes and more one-on-one attention are the ones from lower income, single-parent families whose parents don't have as much time or skills to help them with homework, or who are special needs). Their food budget seems pretty crazy, but after some debate on Facebook, I'll give that one a pass, because food prices in British Columbia are crazy. They could probably spend a little bit less, but according to friends who still live there, it's not the most "out there" item on their budget. They budget $2,000 per month for vacation and travel....come on. They send their kids to expensive summer camps that cost them $600 per month in their budget...totally not necessary. They work part-time and have a full-time nanny...nannies are luxuries.

Anyway, I have a really hard time feeling sorry for people when there are people in Vancouver who do NOT earn a household income of $450,000 per year (FYI, most people in Vancouver don't earn that) who are struggling with the totally insane cost of living in the city. This sort of feels like a slap in the face to those people. Like, boo hoo....you can't afford luxury vacations and a full time nanny. How sad for you.

Re: Eric and Ilsa can't make ends meed on $450,000 per year

My best friend growing up was rich. Her (single) mom (in the 80's) brought home half a million a year... She lived in a lower middle class neighborhood, went to public school, and never had a nanny. They took awesome vacations and had really nice things.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I think it's totally possible. I'm not even saying that these people can't keep some of their luxuries, but they aren't mega rich. They'll have to make some compromises in their lifestyle. Either they send their kids to public school, or they take fewer fancy vacations, or the choose to commute instead of living in Vancouver, or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
        I think it's totally possible. I'm not even saying that these people can't keep some of their luxuries, but they aren't mega rich. They'll have to make some compromises in their lifestyle. Either they send their kids to public school, or they take fewer fancy vacations, or the choose to commute instead of living in Vancouver, or something like that.
        You can't tell me they can't find a townhouse in a decent upper middle class neighborhood for less than they paid for that lot, and make the kids share rooms and learn to cooperate...ya know?

If real estate is that $, they should be able to sell the property just fine.

(I watch the international house hunters show, I know these places exist!)
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Another former Vancouverite chiming in:

I disagree with the original column, and I disagree in part with you. Prices of SOME houses in Vancouver are in the millions. The West End, anything sizeable in North Vancouver, ANYTHING overlooking the water. BUT - I have plenty of middle-classed friends who own homes in Vancouver, for not nearly that cost. I have a friend with a condo in Kits (of all places) and it only cost her a couple hundred thousand, and it's a really nice place. She shares it with her sister to make up the costs, because she's a grad student, but she can still afford it. And food was cheaper when I lived in Vancouver than it is for me now, living in the North. I don't think food costs in BC are all that unreasonable. Compared to the states or Europe, yes, but compared to the rest of Canada it's pretty comparable.

For the rest of the article though...they're crazy people. I could live in a mansion for $450,000k a year. But I wouldn't. I'd live in a tiny cabin in the woods and travel...a lot.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
            Another former Vancouverite chiming in:

I disagree with the original column, and I disagree in part with you. Prices of SOME houses in Vancouver are in the millions. The West End, anything sizeable in North Vancouver, ANYTHING overlooking the water. BUT - I have plenty of middle-classed friends who own homes in Vancouver, for not nearly that cost. I have a friend with a condo in Kits (of all places) and it only cost her a couple hundred thousand, and it's a really nice place. She shares it with her sister to make up the costs, because she's a grad student, but she can still afford it. And food was cheaper when I lived in Vancouver than it is for me now, living in the North. I don't think food costs in BC are all that unreasonable. Compared to the states or Europe, yes, but compared to the rest of Canada it's pretty comparable.

For the rest of the article though...they're crazy people. I could live in a mansion for $450,000k a year. But I wouldn't. I'd live in a tiny cabin in the woods and travel...a lot.
            Fair enough. I actually don't have any friends or family members who own homes in Vancouver (just Abbotsford), and Vancouver Island is a lot cheaper (even Victoria). So, all I really have to go on is the press. I left a really long time ago! (it's been a decade).

Unfortunately, I can't compare food prices to the rest of Canada. The last time I visited anywhere else in Canada was in 2012, and I've never lived in another province or even in another region. I spend my entire life on the Island and then came to Europe! When I meant that food is insane, that's me talking from a European perspective....after all, I've spent the last decade of my life here! I guess my perception might also be skewed because food -is- pricier on Vancouver Island than it is on the mainland. That's the joy of living on an island, I guess.

Comment

This actually makes me quite upset.
              I could go on a long rant here, but I can sum up my thoughts in two sentences:

I have absolutely no sympathy for a couple who works about half the time that most people work, yet makes much more than most people, and who very easily can provide themselves a comfortable lifestyle in their current situation. Especially when so many people around them struggle to provide themselves a meagre existence.

Comment

Working...
              X