Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rights home school conspiracy

interesting read.
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Re: The Rights home school conspiracy

indeed,splines a LOT.....

I do believe the majority of humans done been given the BAD acid...
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm all up for religious home schooling. Let's play the numbers games here. You know a majority of them are going to not be as experienced and knowledgeable of the world when they step into it. It serves its purpose. Those kids are gonna fall off the Earth anyways.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I'm for religious homeschooling...as long as the parent(s) know what the bloody hell they're doing and they're actually teaching their kids properly.

I was home schooled by my mother from primary to year 11. She didn't want me picking up rude rebel-behaviour from the other children. I know first hand, kids are easily influenced by other kids.
        By the time I entered school in the states, I wasn't naive of the world or unprepared for that matter. I wasn't religion-biased either. When I went to the last year of high school here in the states I got top grades and was a lead student in my classes. All a result of religious homeschooling, done right. 9hrs of education, and then when I had my dose of proper schooling, we could talk religion and morals.

That, in my opinion, is how religious homeschooling should be done.
        "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Originally posted by OldMotherWestWind View Post
          I'm for religious homeschooling...as long as the parent(s) know what the bloody hell they're doing and they're actually teaching their kids properly.

I was home schooled by my mother from primary to year 11. She didn't want me picking up rude rebel-behaviour from the other children. I know first hand, kids are easily influenced by other kids.
          By the time I entered school in the states, I wasn't naive of the world or unprepared for that matter. I wasn't religion-biased either. When I went to the last year of high school here in the states I got top grades and was a lead student in my classes. All a result of religious homeschooling, done right. 9hrs of education, and then when I had my dose of proper schooling, we could talk religion and morals.

That, in my opinion, is how religious homeschooling should be done.
          I personally wouldn't trust my parents to teach me something they disagreed with. Thankfully they didn't home school me. My parents were Catholic. I, as you can see, am not.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            I personally wouldn't trust my parents to teach me something they disagreed with. Thankfully they didn't home school me. My parents were Catholic. I, as you can see, am not.
            That's another thing. Not all parents are fit to teach, so it's best some don't even bother, for the sake of their child's intellect.

My mother's reasons for keeping me out of public school were rather for my benefit of focus. As the majority of youth are too concerned with having friendships, relationships, and fitting in.

Comment

I'm not all crazy about home schooling. But I'm actually for religious schooling. I mean, let's face it, they do a pretty good job on basic learning. I'm thinking because of the ratio of teachers to students etc. Of course most of the girls just end up riding a pole...but at least they are smart about it.

I'm being funny. I'm allowed. I'm a lapsed Catholic.

Comment

My tolerance for religious schooling varies with the religious schooling. I trust Catholics to handle most things that aren't sex ed. There are a number of Protestant groups where my opinion is entirely different. Pretty much if your science class will be delving deliberately into not science then I see no need for you to be teaching kids.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'm not all crazy about home schooling. But I'm actually for religious schooling. I mean, let's face it, they do a pretty good job on basic learning. I'm thinking because of the ratio of teachers to students etc. Of course most of the girls just end up riding a pole...but at least they are smart about it.

I'm being funny. I'm allowed. I'm a lapsed Catholic.
                  Funny thing,my father was considered a "Jack" Catholic,he said he was catholic,but never in my sight did he enter a church except when they buried his Mother...

Reason he gave for being Catholic...because his father was....no other reason...
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by OldMotherWestWind View Post
                    As the majority of youth are too concerned with having friendships, relationships, and fitting in.
                    I don't consider this to be a bad thing.

Unless you are a hermit, most of life depends more on the ability to get along with others (even when you don't like them) than it does pure intellectual capabilities. Good parenting mediates many of the problems of peer group socialization....and being allowed to learn from experience is probably the most effective learning tool there is.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      I don't consider this to be a bad thing.

Unless you are a hermit, most of life depends more on the ability to get along with others (even when you don't like them) than it does pure intellectual capabilities. Good parenting mediates many of the problems of peer group socialization....and being allowed to learn from experience is probably the most effective learning tool there is.
                      Although it could also depend on the child, I didn't need that sort of social experience to be socially adequate in society.

Now if the parent shields and shelters their child from my said points, there is a problem. I had my share of experiences outside of my education time. School isn't for non educational mingling. It's since been made that way because adolescent behaviour became unruly and unfocused. So the majority is okay with seeing school as a place to be socially inappropriate with other age mates.
                      Last edited by Noir; 26 Jan 2015, 07:37.

Comment

I'm not sure how I feel about homeschooling. Many of my friends and family members are public school teachers, and I just don't see how someone who isn't trained in education can do it, even if they're a fairly sharp parent. It's just a totally different skill. I also have known quite a few people who were homeschooled over the years, and very few of them came out of it ahead. Several people I know who left school to do homeschooling ended up dropping out (like, almost all of them). My best friend's cousin got sent to school in her last year of school after homeschooling for the rest of her education, and she pretty much got eaten by the wolves. She socialized frequently in her homeschooling days, but nothing like that prepares you for the reality of "Mean Girls." She went to university, but still had a rough time socializing.

I guess I can see the point in parts of the US, where public education is in such a bad place that people don't see much of another alternative. But I wish more people would just fight for the public school system.

In Canada, you can homeschool, but it's highly regulated. More people are doing it, though. They're losing faith in public education, and instead of fighting for it, they're just dropping out. Those who can afford it are sending their kids to private school, but several are also homeschooling. It makes me sad.

EDIT: I get why it's allowed in most of Canada. There are a lot of places in Canada that are really, really isolated, so it makes sense. I've know a few people who lived on smaller islands off Vancouver Island who homeschooled and did well at it, but most ended up opting to go to public school, even if it meant staying with relatives on Vancouver Island to do so. Still, it's a lot of work to get into town from those islands, so it makes sense that some people take the homeschooling route (FYI, Quadra and Cortes Islands both have schools, but only up until grade 9 or so...you have to go to Campbell River to get a high school education, or homeschool).

Homeschooling is illegal in Germany. I'm actually ok with that. It's still legal if there's some sort of reason where it is really hard for the child to attend school (like major physical disabilities or living in the middle of nowhere or something like that), but religious beliefs are not considered a reason. We live in a (mostly) secular country with a requirement to attend school up until a certain age. You don't get an exception due to religion, just like you don't get exception to other laws that govern everyone else.
                        Last edited by DanieMarie; 26 Jan 2015, 09:25.

Comment

I might be swayed to homeschooling if there was some sort of regulation? I mean what's to keep a parent from being all WE WON THE CIVIL WAR and just making crap up? Do they get tested? And by tested I mean REAL tests. Not like can you name a city and a capital bs.

Comment

I might be swayed to homeschooling if there was some sort of regulation? I mean what's to keep a parent from being all WE WON THE CIVIL WAR and just making crap up? Do they get tested? And by tested I mean REAL tests. Not like can you name a city and a capital bs.
                            It depends on the state. And whether or not they "declare" their child or not to be homeschooling.. Its been a few years since I paid attention to homeschooling laws (since we decided against for a number of reasons, among them what danie mentioned about giving up on public schools and tbh, the problem this article mentions, becase the evangelical homeschooling set drives *alot* of curriculum and supplemental programs for homeschooler*). But here, declared homeschool stdents take the Virgin Standards of Learning tests. Also, if you are z declared student you can work with the school district for curriculum guidance, etc. A lot of homeschooling families don't declare their kids to get out of this...leally, I'm not sure what that means...but the reasoning pretty much follows "the govt is the evil trying to tall me how to parent my child".

The problem is that these children go on to breed and vote. (I wnet to a few homeschooling conventions....I know) And they usually out breed the rest of us.. A really good assessment of this whole lifestyle (and what it takes for someone to reject it) is Love, Joy, Feminism (a blog).

*Despite this, secular homeschoolers are growing and there are a number of cirricula that are scientifically based, its just hard to find them
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

I dont know about there, but most countries in Europe that allow it make you stick to the curriculum, and they test you regularily. Canada does it that way too. I'd imagine that States would do something similar...

Comment

Working...
                              X