Continental and Anglo-Saxon Sources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continental and Anglo-Saxon Sources?

OK, I've been reading some of the Norse myths and really liking them. What are the continental (mostly German) and Anglo-Saxon sources, to have some comparisons? Thanks!

Re: Continental and Anglo-Saxon Sources?

A number of our well known 'primary sources' are Germanic rather than Norse or Icelandic... the Nibelungenlied is Germanic; Tacitus' writings are specifically regarding Germanic tribes rather than Norse ones; and the majority of the folklore collected by the Grimm brothers is Continental Germanic. Then we have Anglo Saxon sources like Beowulf. I'm sure there are plenty of secondary sources from archaeologists and anthropologists... but I admit I've never looked into specifically Germanic or Anglo Saxon ones.

Other than that, there are a number of tertiary, modern sources specifically regarding Germanic and Anglo Saxon forms of Heathenry.

Comment

I'm a little confused by what you mean by "sources"?

Either way, Rae'ya has probably already covered the answer to your question. But I'm a little intrigued by what you meant.

Did you mean the original stories of those myths? In which case, Beowulf and the Prose Edda are good places to start. Though, there is Christian influence in both of those. It's easy enough to spot, but still worth being aware of before you dive in.

Or did you mean the historical sources around the Norse? Because those are far and wide. They travelled all over the place, so if you wanted to look at them in a historical context, I'd definitely recommend expanding your historical reading past their general area. There's stories of them popping up in Egypt and the Middle East. It's all quite fascinating.

Comment

If anyone would like a pdf of Grendon's Anglo-Saxon charms please just pm me.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Other good sources include Anglo-Saxon poetry... but I would advise reading it with a good commentary. These are primary sources from the post conversion A-S period and one of the best to get anyone started is probably The Anglo-Saxon World: An Anthology by Kevin Crossley-Holland
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

There's also Saxo Grammaticus.
            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
            Clan of my Clan
            Kin of my Kin
            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Working...
            X