This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Paganism ?

Hello. Im trying to write this in all respect . I have asked a few Paganists if their particular Belief system is centered in any scientific credibility since Science seems to be our neutral means of discovering what is true to reality . All have replied 'No' . So I guess what bewilders me is why someone might choose to believe in something that may have been around awhile and may have a following, but lacks any scientific truth in support of it ? Why believe in something / someone if there is no evidence for that existing ? Why make something true for oneself if there is no objective unbiased truth to it ? Is it just simply something to occupy ones time with and because it gives a measure of pleasure somehow ?

Id appreciate it if someone could give me some elaboration on these questions so I can better understand . Thanks much. David.

Re: Why Paganism ?

...why someone might choose to believe in something that may have been around awhile and may have a following, but lacks any scientific truth in support of it ?

I have no idea. But that is the way religion works, not just for pagans.

Why believe in something / someone if there is no evidence for that existing ?

I have no idea. But that is the way religion works, not just for pagans.

Why make something true for oneself if there is no objective unbiased truth to it ?

For comfort, for feelings of security, to deal with loss and the pain of life, because its how one was raised, etc.

Is it just simply something to occupy ones time with and because it gives a measure of pleasure somehow ?

Maybe. It depends on the person, I would suppose.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

If we can keep the tone civil, I'm happy to discuss it. The thing is, not everything can be proven, but not everything can be disproven either. Why do anyone believe in any religion? I can't answer for everyone, but I can answer for myself. The key is in one word; believe. I believe in what feels most true to me. My view of the world changes, just as the world changes. Now I'm not one of the pagans with a set path, I make my own instead of following one thing. I value science highly, but for how I feel and what I think, intuition is important as well. I follow my own path because it feels right for me. I don't need scientific proof, how I feel is enough. As with any religion, in the end it's a question of what you believe. We can't prove that there is one god, nor that there are several or none at all. So I follow my gut, who am I to know everything anyway? I'm only human. That's also why I don't care much what others believe, there's no way of knowing what's right in the end. And what feels right to people is (I'm inclined to say thankfully) individual. Does that answer anything?
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

In a general sense,religion does not really relay on facts. Most if not all belief is based on "Faith" in something one can not see or touch or even prove. What a person believes is an internal connection to what is usually described as an "Energy",or a "Spirit" The whole aspect of "religion"is believe with no proof to prove you are a real religious person.

- - - Updated - - -

I personally think religion is here because humans "Need" something to help them deal with their mortality. We are born and soon learn that our life is finite,and will ,come to an end. For an intelligent species who understand the nature of time and reality,this can be perplexing to say the least. To adopt a belief in anything is I think beneficial,even if the belief has no basis in reality. For the human frailty of being aware of our own poverty of understanding why we are mortal and not wanting to become "Not" alive it becomes clear why "religious" belief comes into play. It can be a comfort to those in despair,an inspiration to those in need of progression to a higher place within their life. Truthfully their is no need to have to explain the why,because the why is extremely personal and in many ways secret for each person. What works for one,may not work for others..and so we accept each has their secret "Garden" where they nourish their soul...
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Thanks to all of you above. I believe the common thread I see in all your answers is :

1. It is instrumental in making One feel better whether thru hardships , or, just in general.
          2. It doesn't really matter if there is no scientific validity to what Ones religion is just so long as it comes with personal benefit and insightfulness.
          3. Its permissible to have faith in whatever One wishes to follow even though there is no proof for it.
          4. Its permissible to believe in something even though it may very well be false objectively, but its still valid if one decides to hold to it subjectively (for whatever reasons) .

Is this the consensus of what im reading ? Do any of you know of a World Religion or Philosophy whereby there is more objectivity to it ....and which can be supported (at least minimally) by scientific proofs ? Or , do you believe there is a great divide between Science and Religion and the two are incompatible and cannot be meshed ? Thanks.

Comment

I think humans find solace in many things,pleasure for some,deprivation for others,and everything in between. To truly understand religious belief,you have to completely understand the human mind,most likely beyond our understanding(though we do seem to "think" we understand it) and then it goes and does something out of our understanding once again.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I think that some things can't be proved yet. And what can't be proved yet, is what makes people feel better. People rely on historical information. That's what they live by. Time will pass and I believe that one day everything or almost everything will have scientific proof.
              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

You have an ability to give it a very negative tone, whether on purpose or not. But yes. People can believe anything they want, for whatever reason they want, as long as it brings no harm to others, and they respect the free will of others.

I know of no religion which can be proven. Though, it sounds like what you are looking for is simply science.
                I respect and trust science, and keenly follow progress in my favourite areas (medicine and chemistry), while still following my path. I feel no conflict.
                You remind me of the babe
                What babe?
                The babe with the power
                What power?
                The Power of voodoo
                Who do?
                You do!
                Do what?
                Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking a Religion View Post
                  Thanks to all of you above. I believe the common thread I see in all your answers is :

1. It is instrumental in making One feel better whether thru hardships , or, just in general.
                  2. It doesn't really matter if there is no scientific validity to what Ones religion is just so long as it comes with personal benefit and insightfulness.
                  3. Its permissible to have faith in whatever One wishes to follow even though there is no proof for it.
                  4. Its permissible to believe in something even though it may very well be false objectively, but its still valid if one decides to hold to it subjectively (for whatever reasons) .

Is this the consensus of what im reading ?
                  No. In fact you are completely wrong (well, maybe not #1) because you are examining religion as an external agent. For those who use religion, the value it has is experiential.

In other words, if you try to understand it by examining it, you will miss the payoff inevitably. You can only understand it by being there.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Is this the consensus of what im reading ? Do any of you know of a World Religion or Philosophy whereby there is more objectivity to it ....and which can be supported (at least minimally) by scientific proofs ? Or , do you believe there is a great divide between Science and Religion and the two are incompatible and cannot be meshed ? Thanks.

For you my friend,check out Scientology..But remember,you MUST get "CLEAR"

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      ?..But remember,you MUST get "CLEAR"
                      You sounded like my urologist, just then.

Comment

Hello. Im trying to write this in all respect . I have asked a few Paganists if their particular Belief system is centered in any scientific credibility since Science seems to be our neutral means of discovering what is true to reality . All have replied 'No' . So I guess what bewilders me is why someone might choose to believe in something that may have been around awhile and may have a following, but lacks any scientific truth in support of it ? Why believe in something / someone if there is no evidence for that existing ? Why make something true for oneself if there is no objective unbiased truth to it ? Is it just simply something to occupy ones time with and because it gives a measure of pleasure somehow ?

Id appreciate it if someone could give me some elaboration on these questions so I can better understand . Thanks much. David.
                        As an atheist since I was 15, I too have wondered this. And I pretty much just give up. I mean there is something in life other than science I guess.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

So I guess what bewilders me is why someone might choose to believe in something that may have been around awhile and may have a following, but lacks any scientific truth in support of it ?
                          A belief, by definition, is the acceptance of something that can't or hasn't been proven (from the wisdom of Wiki: Generally speaking, a belief is a mental representation of a sentient being's attitude toward the likelihood or truth of something). Once a belief has been proven, it's considered a fact. There are a lot of abstract concepts that science can't prove; it can prove the chemical reaction of pleasure or attract, but not why a particular person is one I can fall in love with, or why a particular song is one I enjoy. Accepting the idea of "this is what I think/love/enjoy because I know my feelings and experiences tell me it's true" makes far more sense to me than worrying forever if science can find the formula to it.

Why believe in something/someone if there is no evidence for that existing?
                          Because my experiences, conversations, and interactions with said entities have led me to accept the belief in them.

Why make something true for oneself if there is no objective unbiased truth to it ? Is it just simply something to occupy ones time with and because it gives a measure of pleasure somehow?
                          Outside of science, there is little objective, unbiased truth in anything. As I said before, the world is full of abstract concepts. Should I not like a movie or a book unless science proves it to be enjoyable? It's still true that it's enjoyable for me. Just as from my experience, that Uriel is here and in my life is true for me. Religion isn't a science, and science can't be applied to everything in the world in a way that will make it "true".

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            For you my friend,check out Scientology..But remember,you MUST get "CLEAR"
                            Explain I must get 'clear' . TY

Comment

Explain I must get 'clear' . TY
                              Scientology requires a lifelong commitment and a hell of a lot of money to become a member and gain its secrets.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                              X