Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Migraines

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Re: Migraines

Congrats to both Anu and Becky for quitting smoking.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Should mention I smoked for over 55 years...so,yeh it can be done,even by a die hard smoker..
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Jan 2015
    Religion
    Kitchen Witch, Norse & Celtic inspirsed Wiccan
    Phrase
    If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Yes, I'm sure they're migraines. I've had medical confirmation on that front. No, I don't consume artificial sweetners. They are checimcal s***-storms and I am vehemently anti-GMO. I also stay far away from pharmaceuticals if I can help it. I'm not cutting out caffeine. I need coffee and tea to survive. I was just crazy busy yesterday and didn't get enough. Sleep and darkness help when I can get them but as that's not very often...

Anyway, thanks all for the help

Aug 2014
    Religion
    Practical Skeptic & Practicing Witch
    Phrase
    Drama-free Zone

If you have not already, look into something called Blue Tech for eyeglasses.

This thing is amazing, and has made my life so much better, dealing with staring at screens ALL DAY.

It 's based on a science that, after researching it, determined that the predominant trigger in light that makes a migrane occur/worse is blue light. So it filters it mostly out through a coating on the lenses. I didn't even know I HAD eye strain until I got these.

Jun 2015
    Religion
    Hellenic Polytheist

I developed migraine and got a complete cure from a homeopath. He fixed my hayfever, too!

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
    I developed migraine and got a complete cure from a homeopath. He fixed my hayfever, too!
    Yes, under certain circumstances placebos can be quite effective.

That's why I go to a very good doctor who inspires me with trust - I heal faster, for sure.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Jun 2015
    Religion
    Hellenic Polytheist

Homeopathic remedies are not placebos. If they were, then conventional doctors would be curing migraines with placebos instead of just offering symptom relief.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
    Homeopathic remedies are not placebos. If they were, then conventional doctors would be curing migraines with placebos instead of just offering symptom relief.
    There have been a number of studies to try to explain homeopathic remedies, and while quite a few have been explained medically, there are still a large number that have not. Clinical studies, papers, tests, and so on have all been done and are easy to find explaining that there are many instances where the placebo effect is closely linked to homeopathy. You mentioned headaches and migraines. Homeopathic remedies include the use of belladonna for that, stating that even though in a "healthy" individual, it would cause a migraine, but in someone already suffering it may ease it. That makes sense, but in the same exact way that having a cup of coffee to cure a headache makes sense (and is so much cheaper). If you dilate the blood vessels that are causing pain due to them being too constricted, of course it will ease the pain. But if you further dilate the already relaxed vessels, it will cause pain. Caffeine does the same exact thing.

Now, while some of those similar type cures work because science and medical knowledge have proven them to do so, I can't see how drinking powdered platinum will do much other than taste nasty.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
    There have been a number of studies to try to explain homeopathic remedies, and while quite a few have been explained medically, there are still a large number that have not. Clinical studies, papers, tests, and so on have all been done and are easy to find explaining that there are many instances where the placebo effect is closely linked to homeopathy. You mentioned headaches and migraines. Homeopathic remedies include the use of belladonna for that, stating that even though in a "healthy" individual, it would cause a migraine, but in someone already suffering it may ease it. That makes sense, but in the same exact way that having a cup of coffee to cure a headache makes sense (and is so much cheaper). If you dilate the blood vessels that are causing pain due to them being too constricted, of course it will ease the pain. But if you further dilate the already relaxed vessels, it will cause pain. Caffeine does the same exact thing.

Now, while some of those similar type cures work because science and medical knowledge have proven them to do so, I can't see how drinking powdered platinum will do much other than taste nasty.

Actually, a lot of what gets labeled as "homeopathy" isn't homeopathy. Homeopathy works like this.... If I want to cure stinky feet, I can get some dog poop (because like cures like) and put in a gallon of water and shake it (because shaking it causes the water to retain the memory of dog poop stink) and then I take some of the poo water and put it in a new gallon of water and shake it, and continue this dilution for x number of times. At the end, I tell you to drink water that (from the shaking) has the magical property of poo water, which will (because like cures like) fix your stinky feet problem.

In homeopathy there's no active ingredient....we're talking amounts like one part per billion or less. It truly is a placebo--its magic water (or, in the case of tablets, magic sugar pills). This is something very different from herbalism and (some) naturopathy. There's quite a bit of CAM that is crap. But there is also quite a bit that is based on sound principles and actually works in a clinical setting---many of our medications are built on the identification of the active ingredient of traditionally used plants.

(Meanwhile, the feet are stinky because the person in question wears boots for work for 12 hours a day. The answer is a combination of fresh breathable socks, foot maintenance, and replacing your boots on a good schedule. Combine that with some baking soda and this awesome foot mask made by Lush.)
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

LOL - while, meanwhile, PetCo sells homeopathic remedies to relieve depression in dogs that is 15% alcohol.

A glass of wine (12-13% alcohol) tends to relieve some of my depression as well...
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.