That English thing I was bugging people about;

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That English thing I was bugging people about;

Around September-November time last year I was messaging around to get permission to take an extract from a post for analysis and use in a Language Investigation i had to do for my coursework. At the time a few people were interested in what I'd discover, but it's kind of hard to give the answers to an essay before you've written it ;P

I don't know how many people are really interested in it but as of yesterday I got the 'A-ok' to share it (I asked ages ago, my teacher actually remembered 0.o), so voila! In all honestly a lot of it is quite obvious, it's an essay to get marks more than an essay to find out new and interesting things.

Titled 'How does online text based interaction differ between participants according to the level of anonymity?', when comparing the post to three other texts, (extracts from Omegle *shudders*, League of Legends and Skype) I found that;
    • In less anonymous conversations, the level of formality drops and there are more instances of incorrect punctuation, slang and swearing.
    • In chats like Omegle, due to the high level of anonymity participants are inclined to talk a lot more, as there aren't any negative results from using the chat.
    • Group chats etc. are dominated by pre-established groups, other users get shut out a lot.
    • High stress chat environments (Video-game chats) warrant vowel omissions, text speak etc. because they're trying to speak quickly.
    • Participants respond more to people using proper grammar, and in some cases completely ignore trolls and abusive participants.
    • Formality and use of punctuation shoots through the roof anytime an argument/debate starts.
    • Visual aids like capitalisation, emboldening and smileys are used widely regardless of formality/anonymity.
    • The Pagan forum source was the only source to not use greeting sequences.
    • If something is wrongly/negatively-interpreted, participants will shout at each other a lot more than trying to clarify the statement.
    • Less people apolagise on the internet.
    • And finally, I've established I'm never using Omegle, ever again.

Thanks a bunch!
    Work hard Play hard.
    What is history?

Re: That English thing I was bugging people about;

Hmm. I don't even know what greeting sequences are. Good thing folks here don't seem to care.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Re: That English thing I was bugging people about;

I'm guessing greeting sequences are probably things like:

"Hello. How are you doing?" or "Hi! How are you feeling?"

Maybe?

I guess we don't do a lot of that here; though we say similar stuff in our first introduction threads, usually...

Comment

Working...
      X