• Show
Clear All

Setsubun-sai

Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-Setsubun_2006_Kobe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	356112

It is a little bit late, but 3 February and 4 February mark the celebration of the Setsubun-sai Matsuri (meaning “season division festival”). Commonly known as "O-mame-maki"( the bean throwing festival) is a very popular New Years ritual related to the old calendar. In a somewhat similar manner to the Wiccan and Neo-pagan holiday of Imbolc, Setsubun-sai is a seasonal division which marks the beginning of Spring, as well as serves as the the 'New Year's Eve' of the traditional lunar calendar. It comes one day before Risshun (the first day of Spring according to the traditional lunar calandar).

The matsuri of Setsubun-sai is significant as a time for individuals, as especially households, to purify themselves and their households from the presences of oni (malignant spirits), and to pray for good fortune and good health in the coming year.

The reason why this matsuri is more commonly known as 'O-mame-maki'( the bean throwing festival) is due to the tradition of bean-throwing related to the festival. Families will scatter the soybeans, throw them out the door, or throw them at a member of the family wearing an oni mask, while shouting "Oni-wa-soto! (get out demons) Fuku-wa-uchi! (come in happiness)". While this is still common practice in households, many people also attend shrines where the it is done as a part of the Haru Matsuri (Spring Festival).

The beans are thought to symbolically purify the home by driving away the evil, mischievous, and malignant spirits that bring misfortune and bad health with them. They are also thought to bring good health and good luck by eating one bean for each year of your life plus one more, in some areas, for the year to come.

Happy Setsubun-sai, and I hope you all have a year of good fortune and good health! :^^:

Re: Setsubun-sai

Happy Setsuban-sai! I don't have soybeans, so I'll have to skip that part.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Re: Setsubun-sai

Aye, Happy Setsuban-sai! Though I don't think my family would appreciate me throwing soybeans at them, it sounds pretty fun though. (Not that my family all look like Oni ^^)
      Work hard Play hard.
      What is history?

Comment

Working...
      X