Talking about hippies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talking about hippies

Somebody here asserted that they didn't like hippies, and it stung just a little bit because, aside from regular bathing and not using drugs, my view of the world is pretty similar, I think. My clothing is conservative and I don't blabble jargonesque when talking to some one, but that is more a function of being a grown up than having significantly divergent beliefs. I know other stealth hippies, at least two are more than 30 years my senior and could only be described as 'adorable.' So, what does a person mean when they say they don't like hippies? Is it the beliefs or the appearance? Is it the whole package or just a certain aspect thereof?

And for you listening pleasure (maybe), Them Hippies Was Right.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Re: Talking about hippies

What is a "hippie"?

After having lived through the 60s, I can tell you that a pretty broad range of ideas fell under the hippie umbrella...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Always hated the term "Hippie",just freak was the term among the peeps themselves..hippie was a made up title from the "Straights" at the time.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

When I was 8, my parents took me to Greenwich Village to have my portrait done in pastels. I remember seeing lots of people in "hippie" clothes in the streets, and I figured that's how I'd look when I grew up. LOL (I've actually been able to find some info on the artist, Chester Bloom, and apparently he did a lot of what's called Sports Pulp Magazine illustrations. Pretty cool.) By the time I got to high school, we didn't really dress much differently than those people I'd seen years before. Bell-bottoms, ponchos, long skirts, long hair, etc.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

At that time it was Bohemian culture,more do what you want and not follow social constraints.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

In theory, but in their non-conformity, they conformed.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Thats the trick...get everyone to be themselves by being everyone else....Like be unique by wearing jeans....that everyone is wearing to be unique..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Corbin, I was a kid when hippies were in their heyday, but I grew up hearing the songs and remember my dad telling my youngest uncle that he was not welcome at our house until he got a haircut. The songs are pretty much about peace and love and freedom and soul-searching and mind-expanding. I think of Bob Dylan and the Beatles.

What words were in the air? "Make love, not war." "Never trust the Man." "Power to the people." "Be here now." "Follow your bliss."

Of course, I saw it through the eyes of a child, not yet pubescent when the Beatles broke up. I remember the teenaged boy across the street crying in his front yard and and, when I asked, that is what he gave as the reason. It was lost on me at the time.

Anyway, there was some bad, but there was a lot of good. On the whole, them hippies was right. imo, of ccourse.

Comment

You have to also remember the Weathermen,the SLA,the bombings,and the crazy that also crawled out of the woodwork's..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                    You have to also remember the Weathermen,the SLA,the bombings,and the crazy that also crawled out of the woodwork's..
                    Yeah, there was some bad. I think drugs had a lot to do with the bad stuff. I know it was instrumental in the SLA and Manson family stuff. Not so sure about the Weathermen, but probably. Hard to imagine another reason to think violence would end violence. That's another one, "Live and let live." As I've said for years, though, it only takes one a-hole to ruin a party.

Comment

At the time a favorite saying was "Come the revolution",I knew people that used that like a mantra...those were the ones that went into the radical groups..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Everybody was radical, because it was cool.

Sex and drugs and rock 'n roll, to say nothing of young ladies bursting to show how liberated they are...

Yup, those were the days.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I hate hipsters because they come off as douchee in their need to be trendy 'with it' culture. I don't hate hippies. I hate hippy mentalities in general. I'm not all for love. I'm for war at times. I'm for being violent. I'm for being petty. I don't love my neighbor. And I don't want to smoke out in a room and listen to dead people play music I don't like. Usually because it's about love, peace and pot. It's not a hate for the people though. It's a dislike for the beliefs going on. I don't get it. i don't like it. It gets on my nerves. But I'm pretty much like meh, let people live.

I do not like hipster. I hate hipsters. I have a friend who is a hipster and I tell him all the time he's a douche. He wears big frame glasses, suspenders and an old timee haircut. Because he wants to show how much he is not a herd mentality type of person...by dressing in a herd mentality way.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

For me,I wear jeans because they are comfortable,and I worked where I needed cloths that would not get messed up by the work..Not for cool,but for working class jobs..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
                              Somebody here asserted that they didn't like hippies, and it stung just a little bit because, aside from regular bathing and not using drugs, my view of the world is pretty similar, I think. My clothing is conservative and I don't blabble jargonesque when talking to some one, but that is more a function of being a grown up than having significantly divergent beliefs. I know other stealth hippies, at least two are more than 30 years my senior and could only be described as 'adorable.' So, what does a person mean when they say they don't like hippies? Is it the beliefs or the appearance? Is it the whole package or just a certain aspect thereof?
                              I'm right there with you. I indetify as a hippie. I'm organic in just about everything from food to beauty products, I'm a staunch defender of the environment, and I try to DIY just about everything I can but I shower regularly, I dress a little bit boho, and I keep my drug use to weedy minimum. I don't get preachy about it or anything but there is definitely a judgement from others who don't get it. I like the term "stealth hippies." I might just borrow that from you.
                              (user formerly known as beckly_freckly)

You are a little soul carrying around a corpse.

Comment

Working...
                              X