Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: food poll #?: soup

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    Do you have any vegetarian recipes? I love stew, but I can't make a thick stew to save my life. Even my chili (which is delicious), turns out watery.
    I think it depends on what kind of soup we are talking about...but there are a few options:

1) Take out about a cup or two (depending on how thick you want it, maybe more) and puree it, then add it back in (this works with veggies and legumes)
    2) Arrowroot (but not with dairy), cornstarch, kuzu root starch, tapioca flour, garbanzon bean flour, etc...basically, look up a GF gravy and use those in a lesser amount--if you aren't GF, flour works (or make dumplings, it usually does the trick)
    3) Mashed potato (or yams)--nuke a tater, mash it mixed with some of the juice, and stir it in (alternately, add some dry potato flakes)
    4) Grate a portion of the veggies (I've not tried this trick personally, but my still veggie friend swears by it), sautee them til they carmelize, then toss them in and they sort of disintigrate and thicken it up (she does this with soups, not stews)
    5) Puree a can of Cannelini or Great Northern beans
    6) Pureed GF rolled oats (cook the oats, puree them, and then add them in), or rice, barley, etc
    7) ground nuts (I've not tried this one either)
    8) yogurt or coconut milk (I've tried the former, not the latteR)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Potato starch can work too. I add it to stews and gravies sometimes when they're not thick enough. Unlike corn starch, it doesn't leave a weird taste.

Comment

Will try all these suggestions, thank you!

Mostly art.

Comment

One favorite thick soup is split pea,with ham in it...Maybe good also without the ham...but spicy is good for it..
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
            Do you have any vegetarian recipes? I love stew, but I can't make a thick stew to save my life. Even my chili (which is delicious), turns out watery.
            I make a pretty good vegetarian pearl barley risotto-stew if you can eat barley.

Generally the trick to making stew thick is the start with the ingredients, sautee to add flavour and caramelisation THEN add water or stock in small amounts and simmer for ages, plus make sure there's a starchy ingredient or add starch or another thickening agent like on Thal's list. I find if you add the ingredients to the water you end up with soup... so do it the other way around.

And unless you have a slow cooker, good stew takes time and patience.

Comment

Lentil/vegetable. But I have to be in the mood, and there has to be bread with it for dipping. Recently it's been fantastic to come down off the hills in the snow and know that there's soup waiting for me. It's usually all I want when I'm ill too.

Comment

Right now I'm making cream of zucchini soup.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

I make a very simple one I made up in college (Cost me about 2 pounds back then)

2 leeks, sliced into rings
                  2 parsnips, peeled and sliced in coins
                  2 carrots, peeled and sliced in coins
                  a rutabaga/swede, peeled and chopped OR half a cabbage, chopped
                  1 lb chicken breast, chopped

Throw it all in a pot and enough water to cover plus an inch. Cook until the rutabaga/swede is bright orange and soft or until all the carrots and parsnips are soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

I like it with a piece of buttered bread.

Simple, pretty quick, super cheap, guilt free, hot, and soothing.

Can't beat it.
                  She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

Working...
                  X