Formation of an Association of Heathen Priests or a Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DEBATE! Formation of an Association of Heathen Priests or a Church

This is just an idea I thought of, I am perfectly aware a general pagan church is a bad idea and likely wouldn't work, but on the matter of a more specific grouping, of the heathen tradition made more sense in my mind. Historically speaking, there has always been an association of Asatru priests (the actual name in old Norse alludes me at this moment), given it wasn't as centralized as the Vatican Church by any measure but still, it existed as a formal organ by which young people could see education on matters of the gods as well as a group to run temples to the gods (conducting special ceremonies and the like.) Information on them is shaky (as with everything related to Asatru) but I've actually spoken to my history teachers and professors about Asatru and it is commonly believed that temples to the gods' priests and priestesses were connected to one another.

I was wondering if any of you think an organization like this is a good idea in the modern world? Perhaps just something to make information on Asatru easier to get a hold of, or maybe a group to raise funds, train priests and priestesses to run temples.

Personally I would like to see temples (like the ones reconstructed in Iceland) constructed and a organization of loosely connected priests with a common agreement on what is Asatru and what is myth in the modern world. I am more than willing to debate however, encourage you guys to debate one another and apologize if my ideas are a bit scattered.

Re: Formation of an Association of Heathen Priests or a Church

Hello,
    I fully understand your question in the manner. While many see the formal organization of Heathenism as a bad thing, I feel that it could help the expansion of our line and our folk. In this matter, there's actually some good news coming from our brothers of the great north. The Icelandic folk are building the first Norse temple in over 1,000 years. I'd link you to the articles, but it won't let me, so feel free to google the topic yourself.
    Now, there are pros and cons to this organization. The real pros are for gathered celebrations of folk, during blots, and holidays, where people can meet and connect with others who share the same belief system, opening up new chapters in differing places. More on the notes of formal unions in terms of weddings and proper honors for funeral rites can be attained through an organized place of worship. And of course, the powers of knowledge it could hold for those interested in learning, and joining our way would be emensley generous to our lineage.
    While all of these things are wonderful, the procession of the temple itself would have to fit into a very large outfit of beliefs. There are hundreds of sub-systems in our own faith. This brings the question of which type of way should be followed. And in picking one, we would still only cater to a small group of our large population. I follow the very old tradition way of the Vitki, and shamans of the old, and if a temple was to be made, the only way I could feel at home is if it were risen from real tradition, and not revival. While I am one of few, many follow the revival way, or some type of faith based off of tradition with new aged additions. It would be hard to find the right shade in a field of gray.
    But that's my input.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
      Hello,
      I fully understand your question in the manner. While many see the formal organization of Heathenism as a bad thing, I feel that it could help the expansion of our line and our folk. In this matter, there's actually some good news coming from our brothers of the great north. The Icelandic folk are building the first Norse temple in over 1,000 years. I'd link you to the articles, but it won't let me, so feel free to google the topic yourself.
      Now, there are pros and cons to this organization. The real pros are for gathered celebrations of folk, during blots, and holidays, where people can meet and connect with others who share the same belief system, opening up new chapters in differing places. More on the notes of formal unions in terms of weddings and proper honors for funeral rites can be attained through an organized place of worship. And of course, the powers of knowledge it could hold for those interested in learning, and joining our way would be emensley generous to our lineage.
      While all of these things are wonderful, the procession of the temple itself would have to fit into a very large outfit of beliefs. There are hundreds of sub-systems in our own faith. This brings the question of which type of way should be followed. And in picking one, we would still only cater to a small group of our large population. I follow the very old tradition way of the Vitki, and shamans of the old, and if a temple was to be made, the only way I could feel at home is if it were risen from real tradition, and not revival. While I am one of few, many follow the revival way, or some type of faith based off of tradition with new aged additions. It would be hard to find the right shade in a field of gray.
      But that's my input.
      Very interesting, I agree with a lot of what you say. I am also to a lesser extent about taking serious steps to revive the old Norse language (or at least increase knowledge of it) as I believe it would be useful to know the language of our ancestors, at least to help us understand older texts and runes to give us insight into their cultures and customs. Obviously, as you said, the biggest advantage is group rituals and formal engagements and ceremonies such as marriage (I am aware the temple in Iceland will offer funeral and marriage rites ).

In response to the issue of which sect to follow, I think the first sect to take up this idea will become the majority sect, just like it was with early Christianity. If the Asatruar adopt the idea of a central church, they will gain the most traction and their info will be easiest to get and probably will come to mind first when talking about heathenism, same if the Odinists adopted the idea first. I believe for each sect there should be a centralized church, our ideas are TOO varied to all fit under one church. But that is really my input, honestly I'd fully support an American Church of Asatru if it were to happen, or even formulate the idea myself if I got the support!

Comment

Originally posted by sirz345 View Post
        This is just an idea I thought of, I am perfectly aware a general pagan church is a bad idea and likely wouldn't work, but on the matter of a more specific grouping, of the heathen tradition made more sense in my mind. Historically speaking, there has always been an association of Asatru priests (the actual name in old Norse alludes me at this moment), given it wasn't as centralized as the Vatican Church by any measure but still, it existed as a formal organ by which young people could see education on matters of the gods as well as a group to run temples to the gods (conducting special ceremonies and the like.) Information on them is shaky (as with everything related to Asatru) but I've actually spoken to my history teachers and professors about Asatru and it is commonly believed that temples to the gods' priests and priestesses were connected to one another.

I was wondering if any of you think an organization like this is a good idea in the modern world? Perhaps just something to make information on Asatru easier to get a hold of, or maybe a group to raise funds, train priests and priestesses to run temples.

Personally I would like to see temples (like the ones reconstructed in Iceland) constructed and a organization of loosely connected priests with a common agreement on what is Asatru and what is myth in the modern world. I am more than willing to debate however, encourage you guys to debate one another and apologize if my ideas are a bit scattered.
        There's a recent, four-page discussion on this here: http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...ted-asa-church

Your assertion that there was some sort of organized Heathen priesthood is misinformed. Every freeman was priest in his own home. Hofs were built and maintained by wealthy landowners, not by any formal priesthood. The title of Gothi was self-bestowed, inherited, or bought and sold, even well into the Christian age. That title traditionally had more to do with "Oh, look, I can afford to build a hof" than with being any sort of priest (in the sense of leading religious ritual or ceremony).

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
        Hello,
        But that's my input.
        "Hundreds of sub-systems in our faith'... a handful, maybe... might even stretch it to a dozen, but hardly hundreds.

There are formal clergy (gothi/gythia) programs offered by the major national/international Heathen organizations, such as the AFA, Asatru Alliance, the Troth, Forn Sed and probably others. Google 'gothi programs.'
        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
        Tribe of my Tribe
        Clan of my Clan
        Kin of my Kin
        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
          There's a recent, four-page discussion on this here: http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...ted-asa-church

Your assertion that there was some sort of organized Heathen priesthood is misinformed. Every freeman was priest in his own home. Hofs were built and maintained by wealthy landowners, not by any formal priesthood. The title of Gothi was self-bestowed, inherited, or bought and sold, even well into the Christian age. That title traditionally had more to do with "Oh, look, I can afford to build a hof" than with being any sort of priest (in the sense of leading religious ritual or ceremony).

"Hundreds of sub-systems in our faith'... a handful, maybe... might even stretch it to a dozen, but hardly hundreds.

There are formal clergy (gothi/gythia) programs offered by the major national/international Heathen organizations, such as the AFA, Asatru Alliance, the Troth, Forn Sed and probably others. Google 'gothi programs.'

Well I suppose what I'm proposing has minimal historical basis, however my faith and strong support of it does not change. I believe an organization that doesn't base priest status on land ownership is a good idea and personally I'd like that community of the faithful to fall into if I'm in need of like minded help or friends, in my opinion Pagan Forum is an OK example of this community.

I believe the Asatru sect of heathenism should organize a church that gathers funds to build hofs (as a similar group is doing in Iceland!) and give official gothi training for higher level ceremony and special holiday celebrations (it is unreasonable to expect our faith to survive if we choose to keep the information passed down verbally, it has nearly led to our downfall in the past). Basically, I don't want to revert to rich=gothi, I want gothi training and a church owned hof=gothi to oversimplify it.

Comment

I think either way, if we wanted to centralize a temple for all the secs and subs, to build a temple where all belief systems congregated to worship the gods. As in, many large blessed carved statues where people can pay patronage and tribute to would be amazing.
            - Finn's Saga

Comment

Then by all means, build one. If it's in my hometown, I might stop by.
              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
              Tribe of my Tribe
              Clan of my Clan
              Kin of my Kin
              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

In response to the issue of which sect to follow, I think the first sect to take up this idea will become the majority sect, just like it was with early Christianity. If the Asatruar adopt the idea of a central church, they will gain the most traction and their info will be easiest to get and probably will come to mind first when talking about heathenism, same if the Odinists adopted the idea first. I believe for each sect there should be a centralized church, our ideas are TOO varied to all fit under one church. But that is really my input, honestly I'd fully support an American Church of Asatru if it were to happen, or even formulate the idea myself if I got the support!
                For each sect a centralized church....You mean the way the Christians did?

That certainly didn't end badly for the Cathars......:P

I agree, in theory, with what's being put forth as far as having a more organised religion as it were (keeping in mind, I think communism is a good idea in theory, but that still doesn't mean I'll share my stuff with anyone).

My problem is how people seek to practically put something like this in place, without falling foul of the same problems that plague organised religions (like Christianity). I don't think we can do it. The moment you give someone authority over a belief, that belief becomes dogma. Very rarely have I seen that sort of power wielded in such a way that inspired people to be good and kind and open minded, sadly it's usually gone to the opposite end of the spectrum.

And therein lies, for me and I won't speak for anyone else, the biggest fear I have of an organised heathenry (as an umbrella term). We already have a very real problem with racists within our community, I certainly don't want that to become doctrine. I would rather our community focussed on how we fix that problem first, rather than using our energy to build temples.

The group that's looking to build this temple seem harmless enough and by that I mean from the little I've read, they seem to match up with most of my beliefs, so I'd have no problems with them. Perhaps they'll be able to carve out a way for us to have a more organised belief system, while also not being too dogmatic about the whole thing.

Comment

All in all, I know that somewhere in my life, I will be visiting the temple in Iceland. And I feel each of you, no matter your thoughts on the topic, can agree with me on that note.
                  - Finn's Saga

Comment

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
                    For each sect a centralized church....You mean the way the Christians did?

That certainly didn't end badly for the Cathars......:P

I agree, in theory, with what's being put forth as far as having a more organised religion as it were (keeping in mind, I think communism is a good idea in theory, but that still doesn't mean I'll share my stuff with anyone).

My problem is how people seek to practically put something like this in place, without falling foul of the same problems that plague organised religions (like Christianity). I don't think we can do it. The moment you give someone authority over a belief, that belief becomes dogma. Very rarely have I seen that sort of power wielded in such a way that inspired people to be good and kind and open minded, sadly it's usually gone to the opposite end of the spectrum.

And therein lies, for me and I won't speak for anyone else, the biggest fear I have of an organised heathenry (as an umbrella term). We already have a very real problem with racists within our community, I certainly don't want that to become doctrine. I would rather our community focussed on how we fix that problem first, rather than using our energy to build temples.

The group that's looking to build this temple seem harmless enough and by that I mean from the little I've read, they seem to match up with most of my beliefs, so I'd have no problems with them. Perhaps they'll be able to carve out a way for us to have a more organised belief system, while also not being too dogmatic about the whole thing.
                    The sects as we understand them actually are divided upon themselves but centralized into one body (the Jesuits actually do have ideological deviation from the main Catholic church however remain under the same body.) I am not condoning we form a hierarchal structure with a "direct line to gods" at the head. Rather that it serve as a sort of Heathen library, where people write/preserve texts on Asatru to make them more accessible to people (I had to dig for most info I got, basically my biggest thing is making a group that makes the info accessible and preserves it for centuries.) I also think we should open, as was described in another post, temples through donations and other contributions with statues of the gods as well as offering tables in front of each statue, appoint gothi to care for the temple/maintain it, maybe develop a ritual for disposing of old offerings (just throwing them away has always bothered me), maybe offering Norse marriage rituals, Norse funerals and leading ceremonies but no formal "These are priests, you are not priests, bow down to the priests and hear their wisdom because we said it is superior to your own wisdom" as is common in Christianity.

Basically, the organization should try to build these temples (non-denominational Norse Pagan temples), preserve and write new texts (as well as not lost it if one sect does not recognize a new text as truth/fact) and basically just create an environment and eventually shape the world into an easier, more comfortable place for Norse Pagans. If someone wants to go to a statue of Freyja everyday and offer her 2 inch cuts of chicken, exactly a half inch thick harvested from a farm in North Dakota, who cares? We are still praising and offering to the same gods and as long as no one there preaches hatred of the other sects, their right to worship the gods their own way should be preserved and the gothi should serve as groundskeepers and a source to go to if you are interested in getting some texts to read over (donations should also be used to print informational pamphlets, smaller books and distribute them to those who ask for them).

Comment

The sects as we understand them actually are divided upon themselves but centralized into one body (the Jesuits actually do have ideological deviation from the main Catholic church however remain under the same body.) I am not condoning we form a hierarchal structure with a "direct line to gods" at the head. Rather that it serve as a sort of Heathen library, where people write/preserve texts on Asatru to make them more accessible to people (I had to dig for most info I got, basically my biggest thing is making a group that makes the info accessible and preserves it for centuries.) I also think we should open, as was described in another post, temples through donations and other contributions with statues of the gods as well as offering tables in front of each statue, appoint gothi to care for the temple/maintain it, maybe develop a ritual for disposing of old offerings (just throwing them away has always bothered me), maybe offering Norse marriage rituals, Norse funerals and leading ceremonies but no formal "These are priests, you are not priests, bow down to the priests and hear their wisdom because we said it is superior to your own wisdom" as is common in Christianity.
                      Yeah, it started that way with Christianity too.... I'm not saying your idea is bad, just that.... The past makes me very hesitant to try and create something like that now.

I would quite like a place of learning, or at least a way to make things more accessible though. I can only do so many things in my life and learning an ancient language is pretty far down my list of priorities at the given time :P If there was a place that could do some good translating, that would be wonderful.

I'm with you on the offerings. I don't offer anything that can't be consumed by the local wildlife. There's too much starvation in the world for me to be wasting food.

Basically, the organization should try to build these temples (non-denominational Norse Pagan temples), preserve and write new texts (as well as not lost it if one sect does not recognize a new text as truth/fact) and basically just create an environment and eventually shape the world into an easier, more comfortable place for Norse Pagans. If someone wants to go to a statue of Freyja everyday and offer her 2 inch cuts of chicken, exactly a half inch thick harvested from a farm in North Dakota, who cares?
                      Well...uhmmm..... -hides vegetarian pamphlets- Uhmmm.....

:P

I hadn't actually even thought of that. I guess any temple that's Norse will probably have a high usage of animals and their products, which would rule me out of ever going to them in the first place. (Though the group that built the temple are against animal sacrifice, maybe their temple would be okay for me.....). As it stands though, it does pretty much rule me out of attending a place like that, so I suppose I'll have to bow out of this debate.

We are still praising and offering to the same gods and as long as no one there preaches hatred of the other sects, their right to worship the gods their own way should be preserved and the gothi should serve as groundskeepers and a source to go to if you are interested in getting some texts to read over (donations should also be used to print informational pamphlets, smaller books and distribute them to those who ask for them).

And luckily I wouldn't be attending those places because of this ^^^^. I wouldn't care if the racist sects didn't preach hatred of my beliefs, I'd still have a problem with them and would make sure they KNEW I had a problem with them. I'd end up being more trouble than I was worth, I'm afraid :P

Comment

Basically, the organization should try to build these temples (non-denominational Norse Pagan temples), preserve and write new texts (as well as not lost it if one sect does not recognize a new text as truth/fact) and basically just create an environment and eventually shape the world into an easier, more comfortable place for Norse Pagans. If someone wants to go to a statue of Freyja everyday and offer her 2 inch cuts of chicken, exactly a half inch thick harvested from a farm in North Dakota, who cares? We are still praising and offering to the same gods and as long as no one there preaches hatred of the other sects, their right to worship the gods their own way should be preserved and the gothi should serve as groundskeepers and a source to go to if you are interested in getting some texts to read over (donations should also be used to print informational pamphlets, smaller books and distribute them to those who ask for them).
                        That seems like a great idea for me!! Especially for kids and people who can have altars or anything pagan-like in their homes because of restrictive family(like ppl from Christians families).

Yeah, it started that way with Christianity too.... I'm not saying your idea is bad, just that.... The past makes me very hesitant to try and create something like that now.

I would quite like a place of learning, or at least a way to make things more accessible though. I can only do so many things in my life and learning an ancient language is pretty far down my list of priorities at the given time :P If there was a place that could do some good translating, that would be wonderful.

I'm with you on the offerings. I don't offer anything that can't be consumed by the local wildlife. There's too much starvation in the world for me to be wasting food.
                        I hadn't actually even thought of that. I guess any temple that's Norse will probably have a high usage of animals and their products, which would rule me out of ever going to them in the first place. (Though the group that built the temple are against animal sacrifice, maybe their temple would be okay for me.....). As it stands though, it does pretty much rule me out of attending a place like that, so I suppose I'll have to bow out of this debate.
                        And luckily I wouldn't be attending those places because of this ^^^^. I wouldn't care if the racist sects didn't preach hatred of my beliefs, I'd still have a problem with them and would make sure they KNEW I had a problem with them. I'd end up being more trouble than I was worth, I'm afraid :P
                        I'm vegetarian too and feel the same about animal sacrifices(and any unnecessary animal killing)But I wouldn't mind much if the sacrifices weren't brutal or if were made only because a certain deity asked for it.
                        I also would have problems with the racists lol
                        but I think that they'll refrain from preaching anything in a place were you can't spread hate because they hate everyone anyway and most of their discourses are based on hatred(idk why they seem to em like a pagan version of the Baptist church lol)

Comment

Haha that was just an example, the greatest part is you would allowed to be offer vegetarian only offerings if you liked, there wouldn't be regulation on which offerings are acceptable and which are not! I'm just saying if one offers a certain way, their way doesn't have to be the only way.

Comment

Originally posted by AnaFae View Post
                            That seems like a great idea for me!! Especially for kids and people who can have altars or anything pagan-like in their homes because of restrictive family(like ppl from Christians families).

I'm vegetarian too and feel the same about animal sacrifices(and any unnecessary animal killing)But I wouldn't mind much if the sacrifices weren't brutal or if were made only because a certain deity asked for it.
                            I also would have problems with the racists lol
                            but I think that they'll refrain from preaching anything in a place were you can't spread hate because they hate everyone anyway and most of their discourses are based on hatred(idk why they seem to em like a pagan version of the Baptist church lol)
                            I really don't care how tolerant you are, I believe we shouldn't even recognize the racist Heathen sects, if they preach bigotry at all, they also shouldn't be welcome on temple grounds.

On the topic of animal sacrifice, well thankfully it is believed the Norse weren't so brutal about the sacrifice, brutality was more of an Aztec/Mayan/Incan thing. A quick knife to the heart, they die fast, painlessly, the sacrifice is performed. I also believe a sacrifice shouldn't be a "everyday" thing, like maybe on a special holiday or in a time of great strife.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha maybe we can open nonsacrifice/nonanimal temples, I mean it's not like it would be incredibly difficult to ban animal offerings and sacrifice. I think these pamphlets and other writings should be strictly on a "you literally said: 'do you have anything I can read'" basis, not like a thing we go door to door and hand out, that kind of work bothers me because it makes any religion that does that look like they're selling something, not so much they care about the spirituality (that is obviously not always the case, but that is just the way I see it.) And as I've said before, racist sects aren't sects and shouldn't even be considered part of the same umbrella that is heathenism as they are bastardizing it to spread hatred.

Comment

Haha maybe we can open nonsacrifice/nonanimal temples, I mean it's not like it would be incredibly difficult to ban animal offerings and sacrifice. I think these pamphlets and other writings should be strictly on a "you literally said: 'do you have anything I can read'" basis, not like a thing we go door to door and hand out, that kind of work bothers me because it makes any religion that does that look like they're selling something, not so much they care about the spirituality (that is obviously not always the case, but that is just the way I see it.) And as I've said before, racist sects aren't sects and shouldn't even be considered part of the same umbrella that is heathenism as they are bastardizing it to spread hatred.
                              Those temples would be a nice idea

On a similar note, I wonder how people deal with animals coming and stealing the food from temples. I've always seen that as 'a way that the Gods take the food', but it might actually need some serious thought if ever a temple was to get off the ground......

Ahhh the racists. They just ruin everything, don't they? Maybe a temple is another way we get rid of that.

.... I wouldn't mind going door-to-door handing out pamphlets. But only to the houses of people who bother ME on a Sunday! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!

Comment

Working...
                              X