Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: A Question On Animals In Druidry

  1. #21
    Member SonoftheWaters's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    56
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Druid
    Location
    Idaho
    Phrase
    The only dumb question, that would be asked in earnest, is the one that you did not ask.

    Re: A Question On Animals In Druidry

    Quote Originally Posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    This is all rather vague for the discussion really. Maybe a couple of suggested dates and sources would help us???
    We are talk a very vague area of thought and research. Almost all of 'Celtic history' was destroyed and you are really only left with piece mealing old legends, myths and half corrupted stories together and trying to interrupt these stories. Feel free to add your own thoughts and view points in regards to the OP's question.

  2. #22
    Bronze Member Munin-Hugin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,154
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Northern Tradition
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: A Question On Animals In Druidry

    Maybe this may help a little bit, Tylluan.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milesians_(Irish)

  3. #23
    Silver Member Tylluan Penry's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,256
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Location
    South Wales Valleys, UK
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

    Re: A Question On Animals In Druidry

    Quote Originally Posted by SonoftheWaters View Post
    We are talk a very vague area of thought and research. Almost all of 'Celtic history' was destroyed and you are really only left with piece mealing old legends, myths and half corrupted stories together and trying to interrupt these stories. Feel free to add your own thoughts and view points in regards to the OP's question.
    No, YOU are talking vaguely, claiming academic sources that you have forgotten, lost or had stolen which is fair enough, I appreciate these things happen. But you are talking complete and utter bollocks here. I am not trying to interrupt stories, (did you perhaps mean interpret instead?) merely trying to pin down what you are saying.
    In order to have a discussion we need to tease out meaning properly, with some sort of method. Not dancing around the fire, saying anything that comes into our heads.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
    Maybe this may help a little bit, Tylluan.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milesians_(Irish)
    I'll pm you about this Munin-Hugin!
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com


    Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

  4. #24
    Member SonoftheWaters's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    56
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Druid
    Location
    Idaho
    Phrase
    The only dumb question, that would be asked in earnest, is the one that you did not ask.

    Re: A Question On Animals In Druidry

    Quote Originally Posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    No, YOU are talking vaguely, claiming academic sources that you have forgotten, lost or had stolen which is fair enough, I appreciate these things happen. But you are talking complete and utter bollocks here. I am not trying to interrupt stories, (did you perhaps mean interpret instead?) merely trying to pin down what you are saying.
    So what are you questioning, specifically? Tomorrow is my day off, I can do some minor research and give you references? You claim I am talking bollocks but have not put up any reference to anything other then the Son of Mil. If you don't know about the Son of Mil, then you haven't even read gods and fighting men, which is even one of the basic reads for Celtic stories.

    As far as the spelling, get over yourself, this is not an academic paper.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    I'll pm you about this Munin-Hugin!
    Interesting you want to complain about me being vague but instead of openly posting your comments on the Son of Mil you will hide them in PM? Who is the one being full of bollocks? I am not the one hiding what they have to say on the subject from the forum.

    I find it interesting that you still haven't even posted your own thoughts on the subject yet either, but instead are offering to PM people on the subject. What are you hiding?
    Last edited by SonoftheWaters; 17 Aug 2015 at 02:50.

  5. #25
    sea witch thalassa's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11,237
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Location
    coastal Georgia
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

    Re: A Question On Animals In Druidry

    Quote Originally Posted by SonoftheWaters View Post
    So what are you questioning, specifically? Tomorrow is my day off, I can do some minor research and give you references? You claim I am talking bollocks but have not put up any reference to anything other then the Son of Mil. If you don't know about the Son of Mil, then you haven't even read gods and fighting men, which is even one of the basic reads for Celtic stories.

    As far as the spelling, get over yourself, this is not an academic paper.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Interesting you want to complain about me being vague but instead of openly posting your comments on the Son of Mil you will hide them in PM? Who is the one being full of bollocks? I am not the one hiding what they have to say on the subject from the forum.

    I find it interesting that you still haven't even posted your own thoughts on the subject yet either, but instead are offering to PM people on the subject. What are you hiding?

    A request for resources is a perfectly reasonable request, particularly when we don't know you, and can't use past interaction as the basis for whether or not we take your claims with a grain of salt, or the whole shaked. Disagreement on what things mean or how one interprets them is reasonable. If something is UPG, or SPG to your specific tradition, say so. We don't need MLA/APA citations here, but giving the source of information that is not common fact is custom here. Being an ass is not. Getting snarky over it, and being snidely insulting other members on the other hand, is not reasonable, and is a violation of forum rules.




    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

    “We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

    "We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

    "Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

    Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

  6. #26
    Member SonoftheWaters's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    56
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Druid
    Location
    Idaho
    Phrase
    The only dumb question, that would be asked in earnest, is the one that you did not ask.

    Re: A Question On Animals In Druidry

    Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    A request for resources is a perfectly reasonable request, particularly when we don't know you, and can't use past interaction as the basis for whether or not we take your claims with a grain of salt, or the whole shaked. Disagreement on what things mean or how one interprets them is reasonable. If something is UPG, or SPG to your specific tradition, say so. We don't need MLA/APA citations here, but giving the source of information that is not common fact is custom here. Being an ass is not. Getting snarky over it, and being snidely insulting other members on the other hand, is not reasonable, and is a violation of forum rules.




    I have no problem with that but I am not the one that started being snarky, I apologize if it offend anyone, however I stated that most my stuff has been lost , in the same post offered to research the material if the poster would be specific on what she is requesting the poster has only made a comment on the term Milestone which I did correct to the Son of Mil which is well known to those who study the Celtic faith and the fact that she has yet to post on this topic herself and instead she offers other posters information by pm and she is unwilling to share openly for debate. I can not ask her for references because she offers no explanation of problem or question on my post and then insult my comments by calling them bolluck.

    Alright I am done ranting it's a pain type on a phone and I think you get my jest by now

  7. #27
    Opinionated Rae'ya's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,376
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia

    Re: A Question On Animals In Druidry

    Quote Originally Posted by SonoftheWaters View Post
    I have no problem with that but I am not the one that started being snarky, I apologize if it offend anyone, however I stated that most my stuff has been lost , in the same post offered to research the material if the poster would be specific on what she is requesting the poster has only made a comment on the term Milestone which I did correct to the Son of Mil which is well known to those who study the Celtic faith and the fact that she has yet to post on this topic herself and instead she offers other posters information by pm and she is unwilling to share openly for debate. I can not ask her for references because she offers no explanation of problem or question on my post and then insult my comments by calling them bolluck.

    Alright I am done ranting it's a pain type on a phone and I think you get my jest by now
    SonoftheWaters, you are relatively new here, so perhaps you aren't aware of the appropriate way to respond to an administrative directive. Posts in green or turquoise are direct requests from the moderators of the site to calm down and adhere to the site rules. Posts written in red are direct warnings from the administrators of the site, and are ignored or argued with at your peril. If you do not agree with what a moderator or administrator has advised during such a post, the appropriate thing to do is PM them privately and state your case in a polite and humble manner. It is neither seemly nor wise to answer back in a public post.

    If you aren't already aware of them, I'd like to point you to the Site Rules, which include some very clear directions about conduct during disagreements and heated discussions. I'll quote the point that is directly relevant to this particular case for your benefit:

    • Do not couch personal opinion as fact. You will be called out by community members (this is your only warning). If you make a claim that is extraordinary (ie. unlikely to be commonly accepted or commonly known by our community) either make sure that it is expressed as your opinion or backed up with a link or citation so that members can find more information.
    Unfortunately, you have complicated the original transgression by publicly answering back rather than accepting the administrative directive with grace. This may have been an honest mistake, and one which I hope you will not make again. If you have any questions about how to respond to potential future staff postings, I encourage you to read the Site Rules or contact a staff member via PM.

  8. #28
    Bronze Member Munin-Hugin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,154
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Northern Tradition
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: A Question On Animals In Druidry

    Quote Originally Posted by SonoftheWaters View Post
    As far as the spelling, get over over yourself ...

    Interesting you want to complain about me being vague but instead of openly posting your comments on the Son of Mil you will hide them in PM? Who is the one being full of bollocks? I am not the one hiding what they have to say on the subject from the forum.

    I find it interesting that you still haven't even posted your own thoughts on the subject yet either, but instead are offering to PM people on the subject. What are you hiding?
    If you feel you truly must know, the PM was regarding the fact that even though this is not my area of expertise or spiritual focus, I had taken the time to simply put up a link to some references regarding g the Milesians, and we were taking the discussion to a place that you have not been invited to be a part of. And as for spelling, in this case it is a HUGE deal, because if you type into Google "Mileson" you get a very large amount of links to masons, lawyers, books, and people's Facebook pages, but no links leading to anything relating to Irish lore and mythology. I was only able to find info when I used "sons on Mil", and within those links it was to things about the Milesians with references to them being the tribe of Mil in the text.

  9. #29
    Member SonoftheWaters's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    56
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Druid
    Location
    Idaho
    Phrase
    The only dumb question, that would be asked in earnest, is the one that you did not ask.

    Re: A Question On Animals In Druidry

    Quote Originally Posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
    If you feel you truly must know, the PM was regarding the fact that even though this is not my area of expertise or spiritual focus, I had taken the time to simply put up a link to some references regarding g the Milesians, and we were taking the discussion to a place that you have not been invited to be a part of. And as for spelling, in this case it is a HUGE deal, because if you type into Google "Mileson" you get a very large amount of links to masons, lawyers, books, and people's Facebook pages, but no links leading to anything relating to Irish lore and mythology. I was only able to find info when I used "sons on Mil", and within those links it was to things about the Milesians with references to them being the tribe of Mil in the text.
    I do apologize for using the term Mileson and not Son of Mil, this was out of habit and not intended to miss lead. I will leave it at that so we can get back on topic.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Tylluan: for clarification: So what are you questioning, specifically? Tomorrow is my day off, I can do some minor research and give you references? Please lets keep it on topic, I have other post on the general pre-Christian thread if its is question outside the topic of Animals in Druidry.

  10. #30
    Silver Member Tylluan Penry's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,256
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Location
    South Wales Valleys, UK
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

    Re: A Question On Animals In Druidry

    Quote Originally Posted by SonoftheWaters View Post
    I do apologize for using the term Mileson and not Son of Mil, this was out of habit and not intended to miss lead. I will leave it at that so we can get back on topic.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Tylluan: for clarification: So what are you questioning, specifically? Tomorrow is my day off, I can do some minor research and give you references? Please lets keep it on topic, I have other post on the general pre-Christian thread if its is question outside the topic of Animals in Druidry.
    No problem, I think possibly the best thing is to start afresh and I am quite happy to do this. And I do realise that sometimes people get off onto the wrong foot with each other, so let's put it behind us and start again.

    You introduced the idea of the Sons of Mil back at post No. 6 and the whole thing became rather foggy from thereon. So since we've probably gone a bit off course here from the original post about animals in druidry, if you want to discuss the Sons of Mil it could be a good idea to start a new thread maybe? That leaves all the old baggage behind.

    I think my main problem is the way myth can be used to back up a theory - don't have a problem with it per se, as long as it's clear what you're doing. Once that's clear it's a good idea in a discussion like this to progress slowly, making sure everything is as clear as possible before moving onwards.

    So please, start a thread on the sons of Mil and druidry if you wish and I am happy to take part.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com


    Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Similar Threads

  1. Druidry vs Celtic Recon?
    By GardenOfShadows in forum Celtic Traditions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27 Sep 2014, 12:22
  2. Druidry
    By Greenlife in forum Celtic Traditions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04 Jun 2013, 15:49
  3. Druidry in Australia
    By Azvanna in forum Celtic Traditions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12 May 2013, 05:21
  4. Question about animals and gems
    By PrincessWillow in forum Pagan Traditions & Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28 Mar 2013, 23:53
  5. Druidry
    By Luke_Ironside in forum Celtic Traditions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03 Feb 2012, 20:53

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •