Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Question On Animals In Druidry

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    No problem, I think possibly the best thing is to start afresh and I am quite happy to do this. And I do realise that sometimes people get off onto the wrong foot with each other, so let's put it behind us and start again.

You introduced the idea of the Sons of Mil back at post No. 6 and the whole thing became rather foggy from thereon. So since we've probably gone a bit off course here from the original post about animals in druidry, if you want to discuss the Sons of Mil it could be a good idea to start a new thread maybe? That leaves all the old baggage behind.

I think my main problem is the way myth can be used to back up a theory - don't have a problem with it per se, as long as it's clear what you're doing. Once that's clear it's a good idea in a discussion like this to progress slowly, making sure everything is as clear as possible before moving onwards.

So please, start a thread on the sons of Mil and druidry if you wish and I am happy to take part.
    That was actually what I was thinking myself since you were not the only one that questioned the Son of Mil. It seems the different stages of Celtic history are going to be a good topic but something that would have to be taken one step at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Riothamus12 View Post
      I'm really hoping to get answers from reconstructionists here. I was looking up the truth behind the whole spirit animal thing that occasionally pop-ups when discussing new-age or neo-pagan spirituality and I came upon this link...

Now aside from Indigenous people being outraged (justifiably so) about continuing misconceptions related their spiritual traditions there was one post that was of particular interest. Foedadea/Boo made a post that addressed a supposed practices of ancient Druids. Five posts down is where you'll find it. Is there any truth to this according to what reliable sources are available, or is this a new interpretation?
      I was looking into Druidry for a year and a bit and still am casually. I haven't yet come across anything that says ancient Celts identified themselves with an animal. I'm inclined to agree with the poster's later opinion when s/he states animals were symbols of a set of characteristics.

Comment

I truly think that much of the animal/druid connection has more to do with an adaptation of popular culture into lore than with actual historical practice. The first connection between druids and animal forms I'd ever heard of was from the original (back in the 70s) Dungeons and Dragons. It had stuck as a staple and from there had moved into things like Warcraft. Outside of there, though, I had only seen references to druids and animals as portents, divinations, and characteristics to be harnessed. Writings by fiction authors who had done research into it, as well as "guides" found in the historical or New Age sections of bookstores tend to downplay or not even mention that. Instead, there is the focus on them as simply being the priesthood of the time and area, sometimes with magical abilities and sometimes not.
        "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Comment

I vaguely recall there is a part in the book 21 LESSONS OF MERLIN that touched upon supposed animal influences on the Druid beliefs. That said it's not a book i'd recommend at all even if there are supposed to be some deeply buried nuggets of wisdom in it.

Personally I'd think any usage of animal symbology would be more due to social and culture than connected specifically to the Druids. Probably similar to the notion of clan / tribe totems or heralds in actual usage. Perhaps, and this is all speculation on my part, certain groups within a part of society such as wolf and bear clans are found in certain Native American nations or the beserker groups of the Wolf and Bear in Nordic beliefs.

The idea of totems, spirit animals, guides, etc has really taken hold upon western paganism in my opinion as more and more "Noble Savage" and Native American beliefs were borrowed to make things more enticing. Well more enticing and used as filler to make books have more things to offer vice another author's books until it became an accepted aspect of all 101 books.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
            I vaguely recall there is a part in the book 21 LESSONS OF MERLIN that touched upon supposed animal influences on the Druid beliefs. That said it's not a book i'd recommend at all even if there are supposed to be some deeply buried nuggets of wisdom in it.

Personally I'd think any usage of animal symbology would be more due to social and culture than connected specifically to the Druids. Probably similar to the notion of clan / tribe totems or heralds in actual usage. Perhaps, and this is all speculation on my part, certain groups within a part of society such as wolf and bear clans are found in certain Native American nations or the beserker groups of the Wolf and Bear in Nordic beliefs.

The idea of totems, spirit animals, guides, etc has really taken hold upon western paganism in my opinion as more and more "Noble Savage" and Native American beliefs were borrowed to make things more enticing. Well more enticing and used as filler to make books have more things to offer vice another author's books until it became an accepted aspect of all 101 books.
            I never hear of that book in a good light but I've never taken the time to really investigate. Is it particularly worse than normal Llewellyn published books?
            "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
            ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
              I never hear of that book in a good light but I've never taken the time to really investigate. Is it particularly worse than normal Llewellyn published books?
              It's been a long time since I read it but the best comparison I've heard of is it is the Silver Ravenwolf of Druidry coupled to Edain McCoy and D. J. Conway all rolled into one book. What's bad is I recall there is also a companion book to it but it's been so long now I don't even recall its title. Granted my own biases towards it but if I could ever get my money back or time back it would be for that book and reading it.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I read about 3 chapters years and years ago and if I remember correctly I put it down after several kabalah style references. Though I can not stand in judgement of it because I never bothered finishing it.

Comment

Its fairly terrible as a Druidic or Celtic resource. Llewellyn has a few decent titles, but this one is worse than even their normal mediocre dross.
                  “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                  ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                  ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Ouch, it takes talent to be that bad.
                    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
                    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

The division between nature animals and people seems to have less of a division in Celtic beliefs that the Christian beliefs that followed. The gods and goddesses dwelt within nature and their stories talk of transformation of people and deities into animals. The supernatural was connected with the natural and we are told the druids called on the natural forces to defend the tribe or the land. The stand apposed to the Christian where the supernatural/ god is outside of the natural and one must call on god to intervene and god is divine as apposed to the land forms, rivers, springs as being divine places. The druids did not need to ask the gods for the magic but rather called on nature to carry out the magic. Thus I would think that the pre-Christians showed respect of the qualities that an animal would have. They seemed to have respect in particular to birds including ravens and waterfowl, boars, bears, dogs/wolves, deer/stags and others. Stories would include for instance a stag being able to guide a hero into the sidhe/otherworld. Again it is pointed out that these are the images left to us from a later age and not from the time when there was only the pre-Christian religion. It becomes a personal decision whether one believes or not that these are correct.

Comment

I'm actually genuinely curious about these lost references. Druidry and Celtic history isn't one of my strong suits, but I'd say it's a bit more than a passing interest too. If you ever find some of those sources, I'd be interested in adding a few to my reading list.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                          I'm actually genuinely curious about these lost references. Druidry and Celtic history isn't one of my strong suits, but I'd say it's a bit more than a passing interest too. If you ever find some of those sources, I'd be interested in adding a few to my reading list.
                          I have been spending some time looking today and am surprised at how much new material is out there but how little of the original text remain. It was much easier to get my hand on these things when I had the user name and password of a history professor, now I am finding they are requiring you to be somehow in the business. It really gets my conspiracy side up and running. I will do what I can to get the information but this is going to take some time.

Comment

Originally posted by SonoftheWaters View Post
                            I have been spending some time looking today and am surprised at how much new material is out there but how little of the original text remain. It was much easier to get my hand on these things when I had the user name and password of a history professor, now I am finding they are requiring you to be somehow in the business. It really gets my conspiracy side up and running. I will do what I can to get the information but this is going to take some time.
                            I know what you mean. When my username expired in my university's database I lost access to a lot of things that I took for granted for those years. But considering those articles are pay-per-read and universities pay for them to be accessible, it makes sense.

Still, it makes me want to go after a grad program just for the library access again. :P

Comment

JSTOR has a free account that lets you "check out" up to 10 articles a month.
                              “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                              ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                              ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X