The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

It's very cold!

You can tell by my posting that I've got the day off - Frozen Hell Day.

I just had to go out and buy gas, and lemme tell ya, this is not the day you wanna pick to go skinny dippin'.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Re: It's very cold!

Same here B. De....seems fitting for this forum...colder than a witchs t**..ah the wonderful languages and the quint sayings..
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    Same here B. De....seems fitting for this forum...colder than a witchs t**..ah the wonderful languages and the quint sayings..
    I have some experience in that area, and it's colder than that!

A witches t** averages 65.4 degrees F.

The wind chill is putting the air at about 200 below zero.

Oct 2014
    Religion
    Hinduism with a dash of Heathenry

Do tell!? I've been home from work the past three days recovering from a flooded house because of two burst pipes. I had 2" of water in my kitchen, not to mention my carpets being soaked. Had a plumber, water extraction company, the water company (emergency street shutoff), and gas company (check and re-light my water heater), and a hole in one bathroom wall. The damage so far is not enough to meet my insurance deductible. My driveway is a sheet of ice from the flooding water that froze once the supply was turned off. On top of that I had to shovel 4" of snow the other day. I now have every faucet in the house with a steady drip. This is the longest cold stretch we've seen in years. Every service company I spoke to had response backlogs of 4, 6, 8 hours. I'm actually experiencing mini-ptsd. Every noise or toilet flush I hear makes me jump and my heart start pounding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	3834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	3835
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

^^^ How awful!!!!

It's hovering around 0 here in the Ozarks too. I haven't been out since Sunday due to the ice/snow. It's supposed to warm up on Saturday and rain so I'm hoping to get out then.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorbjorn View Post
    Do tell!? I've been home from work the past three days recovering from a flooded house because of two burst pipes. I had 2" of water in my kitchen, not to mention my carpets being soaked. Had a plumber, water extraction company, the water company (emergency street shutoff), and gas company (check and re-light my water heater), and a hole in one bathroom wall. The damage so far is not enough to meet my insurance deductible. My driveway is a sheet of ice from the flooding water that froze once the supply was turned off. On top of that I had to shovel 4" of snow the other day. I now have every faucet in the house with a steady drip. This is the longest cold stretch we've seen in years. Every service company I spoke to had response backlogs of 4, 6, 8 hours. I'm actually experiencing mini-ptsd. Every noise or toilet flush I hear makes me jump and my heart start pounding.

That stinks! But thanks for reminding me to turn on the drip.

We haven't had frozen pipes, but the tube running from the toilet to the septic tank tends to freeze, leaving us toiletless until a good thaw. Hasn't happened yet this year (superstitiously crossing fingers).

Oct 2014
    Religion
    Hinduism with a dash of Heathenry

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    That stinks! But thanks for reminding me to turn on the drip.

We haven't had frozen pipes, but the tube running from the toilet to the septic tank tends to freeze, leaving us toiletless until a good thaw. Hasn't happened yet this year (superstitiously crossing fingers).
    Uh... that is a bad sign. My kitchen faucet was doing the same thing. It was freezing, and I had no water in the kitchen. It was a sign that there was frozen water in the pipes. If I had let the water drip after the first time it began working again, my disaster may not have happened. The man from the water company told me that under normal conditions water flows at about 40 psi. If pipes are frozen it can skyrocket to well over 100 psi. Let hot water run for a while out of all your taps and see if that helps thaw that line, if it happens. In any case keep them dripping lukewarm. Moving water will not freeze, and the warm water will help.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorbjorn View Post

Frozen pipes suck for sure. Definitely have spent my fair share of time crawling under houses and such thawing frozen pipes or cutting out and replacing ruptured ones. Have to admit though I'm surprised to see you holding a copper pipe haven't seen those in years. Says its an older house for sure. Think nearly everything from the 70's onward has used a PVC type pipe or something similar for indoor pluming.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

So...you northerly types will laugh...but its gonna be below zero here tomorrow with wind chill.

I want to cry.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

yeh,copper pipes are expensive...and people will cut into your wall to steal them these days..

- - - Updated - - -

Cold is cold,and even colder if you are not used to it..first year in Albany in winter,I felt like I was gonna die..(Had California blood then)
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html