Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using the names of deities?

Hi--
    I did a search on the forum to see if this had been covered, but I couldn't find anything (if I just missed a topic, I'm sorry!). I was just curious as to what people think about using the names of deities for one's children, or even for usernames online: flattering, or disrespectful? I know in a lot of faiths, choosing the names of religious figures is a very good thing to do, but in others, it's kind of like calling yourself (or whoever) one. I can understand both viewpoints, but if there's any sort of common consensus amongst pagans I'd love to know.

Re: Using the names of deities?

My very personal opinion is simply... not to. I believe it draws attentions that you don't necessarily want to draw from forces beyond my understanding.

But it is simply my very personal opinion. I'm a pretty superstitious person.

Comment

Originally posted by Niamh View Post
      Hi--
      I did a search on the forum to see if this had been covered, but I couldn't find anything (if I just missed a topic, I'm sorry!). I was just curious as to what people think about using the names of deities for one's children, or even for usernames online: flattering, or disrespectful? I know in a lot of faiths, choosing the names of religious figures is a very good thing to do, but in others, it's kind of like calling yourself (or whoever) one. I can understand both viewpoints, but if there's any sort of common consensus amongst pagans I'd love to know.
      From a personal perspective - I don't like it. It just annoys me. But whatever floats people's boats. :XD:

Comment

I don''t have a religious reason to or not to...but I wouldn't, unless I changed the name a bit or the name was a (relatively) common one as a name.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

"Jesus" is a common name for Hispanics.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

In the Roman Catholic faith, it's traditional to name children after a saint, or some other holy figure. There are lots of Mary's, for example.

Note: I'm not sure if this is still done as much, now that I think about it. I don't recall any saints with some of the kid's names that I hear lately.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Thanks for your quick replies, guys! It has always made me somewhat uncomfortable, but I never could tell if that was just a result of my own superstition.
              And Hawkfeathers, I was actually reading about that yesterday! It is still a common practice, but it used to be a requirement for baptism. Now it's just a nice thing to do

Comment

I'm a little bit uncomfortable with the idea, but I'm pretty sure that there is nothing spiritually wrong with doing so. Especially if it is done out of admiration or respect, but (depending on how superstitious a person is) doing so could be seen as linking or committing the child to a particular deity. That being said, I have a tendency to over-think things. ;3

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                  My very personal opinion is simply... not to. I believe it draws attentions that you don't necessarily want to draw from forces beyond my understanding.

But it is simply my very personal opinion. I'm a pretty superstitious person.
                  I second this. In ancient times, it was widely spread. But today it just brings unnecessary attention. Not only spiritual, but also material. I don't think it can bring any good.
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Among the Norse it was very common and popular to use a form of the name Thor, says the guy named Thorbjorn (thunder bear, or Thor's bear). I haven't run into any names based on other deities' name, however. I think it would be kind of pretentious, at the least.
                    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I have, at various times, encountered an Isis, Daphne, Athena, Thalia, Iris, Cynthia, Enid, Maeve, Electra/Elektra, Clio, Brigit/Brigid, Serena, Diana, Lilith, Rhiannon, Irene, and Freya. Not all of these are goddesses per se, but they are all mythological.

I've found they work when a) its already an common name or historically been a common name, or it is a known name...maybe its also place or a famous person's name. I think it also helps when they are lesser known or associated with something else (how many people think of Iris as the GReek goddess of rainbows before the flower?).

My first child's name was Aurora. And Chickadee's real name is Sophia. But most people think "dawn", not Goddess of the Dawn (or they think Northern Lights or Sleeping Beauty) when they hear Aurora. And most people don't associate Sophia with the gnostic Mother of God/Wife of God/Goddess of Wisdom.

I think the problem is when you pick a bit too far from the mainstream...something like Hathor. Or, if you pick something with a mythology that's going to give the kid a stigma--Electra is an awful name to give a child, even though it sounds cool.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

I'd say best not to, generally, in case of causing offense. That said, Carlin is the Lowland Scots language name for the Cailleach. But it's also Scots for witch, so I was happy enough using it. I honestly don't think the lady herself is at all bothered.

Comment

Personally I'd say not to. In antiquity we see a lot of deities referenced in peoples names but the social and cultural set up was miles away from what we have today. There are no major temple complexes, sanctuaries or sacred places where the deities name becomes part of the naming usage because of the proximity to the temple, shrine, sanctuary, etc. Nor do I personally see any pagan today dedicating themselves to the gods / goddesses the way it was done in the past when such dedications were for life. A priestess / priest today is nothing compared to what indicators we see of the archaic dedicates to their divinities were.

I'd add given the way many modern pagan's change deities like they change their underwear don't think it would be a good thing either. Sure I'm naming myself after you but i'm calling upon whomever to aide me or guide me in some way even if they do stand in opposition to you. Would be sort of like naming yourself some combination of Artemis then calling upon Hera for stuff. The two didn't exactly have a great relationship and had quite a few conflicts between themselves.
                          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                          X