X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Human microchipping.

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Not trying to make trouble or anything, but curious -

For people who would microchip kids, at what age to you have it removed?

For good reason, as I got older, I didn't want mom & dad to know where I was.
    Well. Imagine you keep it forever. And now you have Alzheimer and wander off. No problemo. Pull you up on the ol' gps and there you go. Imagine pedos on parole. Can't remove the ankle bracelet. Imagine the govt wanting you because you said bad things about the president. Imagine your baby mama wanting her child support. I mean it's all good...and it's all terrible.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I'm with most people here. If it's for some sort of healing purpose, then yes, I support it. If it's just for tracking or connections, no. I'll keep my chips in my phones and passports, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
        I'm with most people here. If it's for some sort of healing purpose, then yes, I support it. If it's just for tracking or connections, no. I'll keep my chips in my phones and passports, thanks.
        Don't forget the chips in your credit cards and cars too. Chips and dip for everyone!
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          Don't forget the chips in your credit cards and cars too. Chips and dip for everyone!
          Chips and dip make me so fat I once at nearly a whole cob loaf to myself. I was at someone's house party and everyone was being shy. So they missed out.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually meant to say more meaningful things but I forget what they are now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kindred View Post
            A little off topic but this made me smile...I was becoming convinced that I was the only one who felt that way.
            (You, me, and Hawkfeathers have just outed ourselves as introverts. Introverts know what I mean, but to extroverts, this sounds like a goofy paradox that doesn't make sense...)
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I don't trust this human micro chip idea, as funny as it may sound i don't trust any being making things that go into brains. It grants too much power. The brain is a strong aspect in our body, they can control the brain with just the right type of hormones or electrical pulses, finally having the people as their mindless zombies. This idea can just go down hill way too easily because humans love power and imagine how they'll feel when they accidentally control one experiment, realize how in control they are, and boom we've got an alive zombie apocalypse

So, no thank you, I'll pass on the human micro chipping

Comment

Originally posted by InTheClarity View Post
                I don't trust this human micro chip idea, as funny as it may sound i don't trust any being making things that go into brains. It grants too much power. The brain is a strong aspect in our body, they can control the brain with just the right type of hormones or electrical pulses, finally having the people as their mindless zombies. This idea can just go down hill way too easily because humans love power and imagine how they'll feel when they accidentally control one experiment, realize how in control they are, and boom we've got an alive zombie apocalypse

So, no thank you, I'll pass on the human micro chipping
                She has a point here, guys. But don't say that it depends on who controls the brain, because it never works like that. NEVER....
                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Not trying to make trouble or anything, but curious -

For people who would microchip kids, at what age to you have it removed?

For good reason, as I got older, I didn't want mom & dad to know where I was.

I go back and forth on this.

The only reason I would want one for the kids is so that if something *did* happen (statistically insignificant chance that there was), they could (hypothetically) be identified if they were found--but passively, not actively (AFAIK at this point, the technology isn't small enough for an active tracking device that can transmit from inside a person yet). Like with a dog, you have to scan the chip. But since scanners are in so many places (stores, etc), if they were taken anywhere, hypothetically (if the right software addition was a requirement for stores, etc) they could be tracked (in the same way cameras can do this now, since they are all over the place).

If I just wanted to follow my kid to know where they were, what they were doing, etc...I'd just give them a cell phone.

Personally, I think kids deserve a certain amount of privacy. Even if that privacy is used to do things that they know are against the rules--its part of the experience of growing up. I know that I wouldn't use such a technology to routinely spy on my kids--but their name, blood type, a unique number that is not their SSN that attaches to basic medical information (like allergies, etc)*?. But I know there are crazy parents out there that would be stalking little Susie on her date, etc--because they already do this stuff.

With that being said, I just find it interesting (ironic? oxymoronic?) that we love Fido SOOOO much that we microchip him in case he gets taken or lost...but with children (particularly very young childern) (or for that matter, why not Grandma with Alzhimers, etc) it becomes some huge slippery slope arguement.

The only difference between what we can already do with technology and a mircrochip is that you need a scalpel to take off the latter.

*this is already a thing as part of medical alert bracelets and stuff
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Let's imagine a "Best Case" scenario:

In the classroom, I see MANY students who are attached to their phones as if with a stainless steel umbilical cord. They, literally (and I DO seriously mean "literally") go into withdraw if they are required to put them away for 1/2 hour.

The time will come, in the near future (I'm wearing my pointy wizard hat and making an easy prediction), when those phone things will be implanted in heads. When that time comes people will be permanently connected to a big web of other people (yes, I'm sure it will be possible to turn them off, but my experience tells me that most people won't - check the data or make observations if you don't believe me).

Even if their is absolutely no abuse of power via these devices (fat chance of that, though. Again, look at how power is perpetually being abused. But we're exercising imagination here), they will fundamentally change the meaning of what it means to be human, and the nature of human experience. Something like a hive mind is the most likely outcome. How much like a hive mind is debatable, but something like it is inevitable.

For some people, this would be heaven - no more need to think alone, no more need to be independent, no more need to make decisions based one one's own personal internal and external experience. Everything can be checked and validated/invalidated by consulting other minds at any time. Society will function somewhat more smoothly, and their will be less discord when "consensus" can be arrived at almost instantly.

For other people, this is a good description of absolute hell.

Choose wisely.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    With that being said, I just find it interesting (ironic? oxymoronic?) that we love Fido SOOOO much that we microchip him in case he gets taken or lost...but with children (particularly very young childern) (or for that matter, why not Grandma with Alzhimers, etc) it becomes some huge slippery slope arguement.
                    I get your meaning, but it's not quite oxymoronic. There is logic behind it, although I would be surprised if anybody ever stopped to work it out (possibly intuitive logic at work here?).

Many more dogs/cats are lost each year than children. Lost dogs/cats can not be identified via the equivalent of "fingerprints" - creating a database would be over-the-top costly. Likewise for dental records (my dog & cats have never had a dental x-ray).

Identifying them via DNA would be possible, but mucho mundo expensive - and the burden of the cost would fall on the pet owner - most of whom could not afford the expense. For humans, the cost of DNA identification falls on the state.

In addition, no pets can talk. They can't give an address or any kind of description of anything, however vague it might be. Most humans can.

Add these things together and it makes much more sense to chip dogs/cats than to chip humans. I'm not saying that there are not specific cases where it would be wise to chip humans, but that would be a minority of cases. Chipping dogs/cats is, in the majority of cases, cost effective.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                      See, at least I can leave my credit card, passport, and phone at home (I don't drive, and bikes don't have chips). I realize that I usually carry my cards and phone, but I still have the choice not to. You don't get that choice if it's IN you.

Comment

The combination of human and machine IS the foretold Singularity,that has been expected for some time now...Might it have really started with the first hearing aid...or with the first limb replacement(that is pretty new,a few years only) War helped speed that one up...so it has begun...My name is HAL,and I can't do that Dave.....beep..

Also it has been hinted that a lot of cars already have this,and also can be taken over by the police if need be.

http://rt.com/news/remote-car-disable-eu-413/

It begins...you belong to the SYSTEM.....Sky Net...
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

On Sunday’s episode of the Emmy award-winning show Homeland, the Vice President of the United States is assassinated by a group of terrorists that have hacked into the pacemaker controlling his heart.  In an elaborate plot, they obtain the device’s unique identification number.  They then are able to remotely take control [...]

Illustrates my issues with implanted technology rather nicely.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

That has been a concern for a while...if it is connected,it can be over ridden,and now they say there is a major flaw in the encryption standard...so go figure...
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Since organizations (such as the NSA) collect data on software softspots and don't report them because they want to be able to exploit them (for our good, of course) this is especially troubling.

(based on NPR report heard in car - can't locate source quickly)

Comment

Identifying them via DNA would be possible, but mucho mundo expensive - and the burden of the cost would fall on the pet owner - most of whom could not afford the expense. For humans, the cost of DNA identification falls on the state.

In addition, no pets can talk. They can't give an address or any kind of description of anything, however vague it might be. Most humans can.

Add these things together and it makes much more sense to chip dogs/cats than to chip humans. I'm not saying that there are not specific cases where it would be wise to chip humans, but that would be a minority of cases. Chipping dogs/cats is, in the majority of cases, cost effective.
                                When I was still in the military, we found a lost toddler in the hospital. His grandma had to go to the ER, and was driven by another family member with the kid in the car, who was sleeping, so the family member in the car locked the car door and took a nap too. The little boy (he was 2 1/2) woke up, got himself out of the carseat, unlocked the car doors, got out of the car and made it through the (busy) parking garage into the hospital (good thing he didn't get hit by someone speeding or make it to the water, which surrounds the place on three sides) with no one the wiser, until he was found by staff and brought to us. Not knowing that he was missing, when our (repeated) calls over the announcing system went out, no one came to claim him. And we couldn't look for his family by name, the poor kid didn't talk very much (muchless know his phone number and address) and was scared to death. Almost 6 hours later the grandma went to the car, having been discharged from the ER and picked up her meds, didn't see the kid, woke up the family member (who had come off the night shift to drive her in), and realized the lost baby was hers. By then CPS had been called, the police were there, and it was a hot mess...because, by this point, we honestly thought the kid had been abandoned.

Sharkbait, much like this toddler seems to maybe have been, was an escape artist. Kid could defeat any child saftey device we could buy. He could work the deadbolt, the chain lock, the slidey lock, the eye and hook, and the pin thing...and dismantle the drawer and cabinet stops, the outlet covers, and the door handle covers by the time he was 2. And he loved his cozy coupe. In the 5 minutes it took for me to put a load of laundry away or hubby to go to the bathroom (and forget a shower unless both of us were home) he could make it out the door and halfway down the street (which had no sidewalk).

There's a certain age (or mental state. medical condition, etc) where I don't think it would be a bad idea to have a passive chip... Things that are wearable are removable and breakable. And unlike a tattoo, a chip can be removed when its no longer needed (like my bc in the arm).
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X