Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Just for fun) what language(s) would you want to learn off of this list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: (Just for fun) what language(s) would you want to learn off of this list?

Persian. I don't know why but it just intrigues me. (And because I used to know a lot of cuss words in Farsi.)

For some reason I'd also like to learn Manchu. I tried to study it but still I dream of waking up someday, speaking and writing fluent Manchu. Mongolian would also do.
    Woah! I thought I was being unique for trying to learn Swahili!! You make me look mainstream (bashfully kicks her 'fadish' Japanese signature out of sight). I, erm... I've never even heard of manchu!

(I didn't answer the question, because.. well.. everyone knows my answer...)
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
      Woah! I thought I was being unique for trying to learn Swahili!! You make me look mainstream (bashfully kicks her 'fadish' Japanese signature out of sight). I, erm... I've never even heard of manchu!
      That is sort of creepy, you're the second person who brings up Swahili when I mention Manchu.

I just wanted to be a decent Qing dynasty emperor imposter so I decided to (try to) learn the "language of the Qing", in other words, Manchu.
      baah.

Comment

Ah, that makes sense then! So its a dialect of Chinese?

Hmm.. I wonder if it's just that people think of these languages as exotic? I actually recently met a girl from London who is up here studying Japanese at uni. She asked me if I speak any other foreign languages and I mentioned that I'd dabbled with German and Swahili. It turns out her grandmother is from Kenya! I kinda wish I could remember a bit more now. It's a beautiful language, with some delicious phonetics to wrap your mouth around.. like the short little 'u' sound you get when a word starts with 'm'..

I love languages, but I'm just not naturally gifted. I have to work at it. It took me about 6 years to get decent at Japanese.. I don't think I can afford to learn more languages if it's going to take 6 years for every one..
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

The language of the birds(Reference from the made for cable movie "The Librarian")
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Ah, that makes sense then! So its a dialect of Chinese?

Hmm.. I wonder if it's just that people think of these languages as exotic? I actually recently met a girl from London who is up here studying Japanese at uni. She asked me if I speak any other foreign languages and I mentioned that I'd dabbled with German and Swahili. It turns out her grandmother is from Kenya! I kinda wish I could remember a bit more now. It's a beautiful language, with some delicious phonetics to wrap your mouth around.. like the short little 'u' sound you get when a word starts with 'm'..

I love languages, but I'm just not naturally gifted. I have to work at it. It took me about 6 years to get decent at Japanese.. I don't think I can afford to learn more languages if it's going to take 6 years for every one..
            Not a dialect of Chinese but a *sound of typing as I have to go to Wikipedia to check out the correct term* Tungusic language that is more related to Turkish and Mongolian than Chinese. It has a lot of Chinese loan words though. But (more or less) spoken in Northeastern part of China. I guess Mandarin Chinese sort of ran over it, even the last Qing emperor couldn't speak it properly even though he was Manchu.

..Now it got really person because the other Swahili-speaking person I mentioned earlier had also randomly met someone who had some sort of connection to Kenya. And I know someone who has used some Swahili as an inspiration for a novel. (Or at least she had the word 'Swahili' in her notes, she said she needed to remember it.)
            But you got me interested in Swahili now (not that I'd have the time or resources to actually learn it) + African languages are quite underrated imo. And when it comes to languages being exotic... I guess it has lot to do with where one lives (and naturally, how widely spoken a language is. ). I guess my Finnish would be quite exotic in Kenya or "Manchuria".

And Jembru, that doesn't sound too bad if learning decent Japanese takes 6 years, it is such a complex language after all? (How many languages actually come with three different writing systems + romanisation or whatever that is called? ) I studied Russian for five years and I still go by "I don't know" and numbers from one to ten.

Originally posted by Anunitu
            The language of the birds(Reference from the made for cable movie "The Librarian")

Would be so cool. Even the name rocks. (A slight facepalm towards "The Librarian" though.)
            Or whatever ancient. Anything ancient. Why can't I just order languages like pizzas?
            baah.

Comment

For the language peeps out there...I'm reading The Horse, the Wheel, and Language: How Bronze Age Riders from the Eurasian Steppes Shaped the Modern World by David W. Anthony and its quite interesting. He talks a lot about language transmission and how language changes over time natually and how those deviations can be used to piece together a hypothetical proto-Indo-European parent language. He also talks about archaeology and whatnot. I got it for other reasons, but I figured some of ya'll might find it interesting.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Horses and language in the same title... This I've got to read! Does it touch on the possibility of religious beliefs and practices being transmitted along with language? I'm really interested in the idea that older faiths have a common ancestor, or at least influenced one another.

Comment

Norwegian and Irish...I have/feel an affinity for both

Comment

Horses and language in the same title... This I've got to read! Does it touch on the possibility of religious beliefs and practices being transmitted along with language? I'm really interested in the idea that older faiths have a common ancestor, or at least influenced one another.
                    Kindle says I'm only 10 perceent read...its not been a topic yet, but religion has been mentioned a few times. Stuff like the latin "theos" being related to the greek "zeus", and the old indic of the rig vedas originating in northern syria...
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Languages i want to learn German Latin and Hebrew
                      Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Working...
                      X