This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trans potty pass

Trans lady uses women's locker room to hang her purse and coat. Female member gets upset and complains. The member also talked to other people in the gym and was being inappropriate. (whatever that entails) Planet Fitness cancelled her membership. The lady says she was complaining she thought there was a man in the locker room not a trans person.

What say you?

sauce here
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Trans potty pass

I don't buy the "I thought she was a man" part. Yes, it's obvious from the pictures that she's trans, but she really doesn't look like a man who just, like, threw on a wig and decided to sneak into the women's locker room or something. Also, how can the complainer say she thought she was a man when staff apparently told her what was going on from the time of her first complaint? Okay, she might have genuinely thought a man had snuck into the women's room the first time she made a complaint, but what did she think the subsequent times?

Comment

I say go planet fitness!!
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I don't understand why this is even in the debate thread. A trans woman is a woman. If you are going to disallow trans people from using their gender-identify associated change rooms and washrooms, than you might as well disallow gay cis men from using men's changerooms and lesbian cis women from using women's changerooms on the same premise.

There is no debate.

Edit: The fitness centre did the right thing.

Mostly art.

Comment

I agree I don't think there is a debate. But where I got it from..boy oh boy..there was debate.

Also what's with cis? I had to look it up. So when did I am a woman turn into me having to say I am a female who was born a female and am ok and match that I am indeed a female. This is totally off topic. But fuck that. I've got enough labels to deal with.
          I'm a girl. yay

carry on

Comment

I'm all for inclusiveness and trans-visibility or whatever, but I can see how a trans person could be misidentified. Especially at the gym where it's a tad impractical to wear pretty dresses, earrings, makeup, and such things.

Unless y'all think we're living in a world without any trace of sex or gender ambiguity. /shrugs

That being said, I don't know all the specifics of the situation and I have no real reason to believe that the gym was out of line to revoke her membership beyond my finding her excuse plausible.

In the end it's their gym and, rightly or wrongly, they're the ones who make the rules and not me.
            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

My feelings on this story are of a type of rage. As said above, there is no debate whether a trans woman is actually a woman. I feel that in our world, there needs to be a people who can be rightfully oppressed to make us "normal people" fee better. Take into consideration the oppression of the black people. Todays oppression is not pointed as much towards racism, but to those of differing sexual orientation. I have heard a handful from the right wing party stating that they don't think gays should even be allowed to vote. If this hate can actually manifest into more than just hate, where we continue to make laws, and enforce old ones that hurt and belittle people who are different, we have never learned our lesson from atrocities committed in the past. Take into thought those put to death by Nazi Germany. A good number of those people were homosexuals. Does this make us no better than the Nazis for making laws prohibiting common rights to those who we think less than ourselves?
              "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
              And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
              They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
              The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
              - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Ssssh. Don't bring up the nazis dude. You are gonna kill mah thread.:=o:

Comment

Duce is a CIS woman?? Crap,I now must adjust my social understanding of all things CIS Question is what is the proper way to let people know you are CIS,I mean one must follow social convention,right?

Just call me Saul,so better call Saul
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

There are also people who think the "man of the house" should be the only one to vote. All kinds of weirdness out there about who is "me" and who is "other", and why "me/like me" is so much more important.
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Question: Do I now need to ask everyone here what their gender class is?. I want to be sure not to offend someone by saying the wrong gender pronoun like CIS or I believe the 100 other labels needed now to define gender. I am just old,and you are confusing the crap out of me..

Just to be clear.you get to be whoever you are,me I am cool no matter what..Just KISS(Keep it simple stupid)
                      Last edited by anunitu; 09 Mar 2015, 05:56.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                        Question: Do I now need to ask everyone here what their gender class is?. I want to be sure not to offend someone by saying the wrong gender pronoun like CIS or I believe the 100 other labels needed now to define gender. I am just old,and you are confusing the crap out of me..

Just to be clear.you get to be whoever you are,me I am cool no matter what..Just KISS(Keep it simple stupid)
                        Cisgender isn't a pronoun. You can be transgender, or cisgender, or somewhere in between the two (the theory of gender identity as a spectrum). If you are uncertain of what pronoun to use with a person you are speaking to, ask. It's more polite to ask them, than it is to assume and be wrong.

If you are a cisgender female, you are a she.
                        If you are a transgender female, you are a she.
                        If you are a cisgender male, you are a he.
                        If you are a transgender male, you are a he.
                        If you are uncomfortable with labels, are non-gendered, or don't prescribe to gender pronouns, you are typically referred to as "they", but if a person is uncertain about the person they are speaking to, it's best to ask, because it's considered impolite (in most cases) to use the wrong gender pronoun.

...is the general gist of it.

Mostly art.

Comment

Ok,just remember I am a CIS Fart....and the old is not a choice...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            Ok,just remember I am a CIS Fart....and the old is not a choice...
                            I'm on the Pride committee in town. I had to do a lot of research when I first joined, because I didn't have any experience with non-gendered people, and I didn't want to offend anyone.

Mostly art.

Comment

Glad to see you are working for change..as to the "Simple part" the general public will react badly if their "social structure" is tweaked to much to fast..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X