Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Youth Decline Of Manners?Losing Humanity?

Mar 2015
    Pronouns
    male
    Religion
    Agnostic Humanist

Smile Youth Decline Of Manners?Losing Humanity?

I haven't forgot my teenage years.

Teenagers generally have a tough time.Trying to fit into the government and societies little box. Forced to "identify" their "self" image.

It isn't quite as stressful as being an adult. Yet it isn't a surprise so many of them end up with mental health issues.

Anyway, i was talking to a friend of mine about the sheer amount of cheek i witness when i travel about. From teenagers lingering outside shops and laughing at people, swearing, not giving a seat to an elderly person among other things.

Now, i don't want to assume my experiences are an absolute viewshot into every single teen, in every single country. Yet, it has become so common, i can't help but wonder if it is a big problem in the rest of the world.

It doesn't anger me.If anything, it worries me. These young adults are going to have to shoulder the burdens, we leave behind us. The pollution. Poisoned water sources. Instability of the financial system. The sheer broken consumerist, statist and capitalist system that is slowly killing the world. Yet, it seems like the prominence of technology is a contributor.

Are we losing our ability to communicate?Are we losing our humanity?

I may sound slightly hypocritical here.I mean, i'm online and ranting...Yet, i still care about the world.I still hold doors for people. Do random good deeds now and then.You could get all pedantic and argue they aren't random but you know what i mean...

I know i'm not the only one.

So what are your views on the subject?Do you feel like the internet steals a part of our humanity, if not used correctly?

I'd love to hear your views!

Nov 2014
    Pronouns
    female
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

Re: Youth Decline Of Manners?Losing Humanity?

Here, my parents generation has tended towards treating kids as little adults... resulting in very confused young people who have never had much guidance or indeed disciplining.. that is not to say it is true for all, but for many it is...
    When I was in the smaller grades (around 8 years old) we looked up to the seniors (15-16)... when I was a senior many of us were actually bullied by those kids... I've had my coat stolen- I found it in the trash, my gloves set on fire... just before I graduated, a few tried to set fire to the school library....
    It serms scary. But I also think teenagers and young adults have frequently been the subject of this discussion. Imagine when rock'n'roll started...
    But as much as it seems to be going to the dogs (do you use that expression in English?), there are lots and lots of good people... always has been, always will be. The world just changes...
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Oct 2011
    Religion
    Staroverci

There was a point where I thought all teenagers were outright punks (and I'm not even much older than teenagers are), and I tried comparing their behavior to what mine was at that age. But I had such a warped upbringing, and that's not an uncommon thing. Now I see them more as individuals who have individual experiences and personality traits, and I know that when they get to be my age they will likely be looking at the next generation thinking the same things I was thinking.

I think it's all cyclical, I don't think we are losing humanity (in fact I think the internet has helped humanity along a fair bit because of the ability of mass communication to facets of society and culture that weren't readily available before). Awareness is raising, economies rise and fall (and have throughout human history), tragedies occur, great crimes occur, we learn, we heal, we rebuild, and then we repeat.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

I think this "humanity" idea is a mirage that we have long reached for without ever reaching. And I think that teens today are no worse (or better) than 10, 20, 30, or 100 years ago. As for the internet, it has its pros and cons.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Pronouns
    female
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

You know, I caught myself thinking how irritating teens are these days. Then I really thought about it and realized that it was me that changed, not teens. Teenagers have annoyed older people since the dawn of time. That's what they do. Today's teens are not any worse than kids were in the past (in fact, I've read quite a few articles that suggested that they're -better- than kids were in "my day").

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

I walk very slowly nowadays... sometimes it irritates other pedestrians. One day I was making my way to the library when this boy in his late teens dashed ahead of me and I thought, 'He's an impatient one.'
    But he wasn't. He got to the library ahead of me, opened the door and waited to let me through.
    Most kids are actually still very nice.
    Not sure about some of the venomous old bats though...
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Sweet story Tylluan...Being old isn't to bad when things like that happen..
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    Sweet story Tylluan...Being old isn't to bad when things like that happen..
    I always say that being old - even if I' m knackered - is far better than the alternative!
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Aug 2012
    Pronouns
    female
    Religion
    animist hedge witch.
    Phrase
    Even if you're only a boy, you can fight like a girl!

Teenagers ticked me off when I was a teenager.... I think I'm just grumpy.
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

I hate teenagers. But...I see quite a few with very good manners in my store. In fact last night riding my bike home down the darkened street I popped up on the sidewalk. And I just noticed the teen all in black walking and he had to walk on the grass. And I'm like soooooooory and he was totally cool about it. And we have quite a few young boys who work in our store doing stock etc. They are always so polite to me. It's ma'am this ma'am that. I like it. But I'm also like the mama bear of the store. And I have claws. So I have that working for me.
    Satan is my spirit animal