Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Youth Decline Of Manners?Losing Humanity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth Decline Of Manners?Losing Humanity?

I haven't forgot my teenage years.

Teenagers generally have a tough time.Trying to fit into the government and societies little box. Forced to "identify" their "self" image.

It isn't quite as stressful as being an adult. Yet it isn't a surprise so many of them end up with mental health issues.

Anyway, i was talking to a friend of mine about the sheer amount of cheek i witness when i travel about. From teenagers lingering outside shops and laughing at people, swearing, not giving a seat to an elderly person among other things.

Now, i don't want to assume my experiences are an absolute viewshot into every single teen, in every single country. Yet, it has become so common, i can't help but wonder if it is a big problem in the rest of the world.

It doesn't anger me.If anything, it worries me. These young adults are going to have to shoulder the burdens, we leave behind us. The pollution. Poisoned water sources. Instability of the financial system. The sheer broken consumerist, statist and capitalist system that is slowly killing the world. Yet, it seems like the prominence of technology is a contributor.

Are we losing our ability to communicate?Are we losing our humanity?

I may sound slightly hypocritical here.I mean, i'm online and ranting...Yet, i still care about the world.I still hold doors for people. Do random good deeds now and then.You could get all pedantic and argue they aren't random but you know what i mean...

I know i'm not the only one.

So what are your views on the subject?Do you feel like the internet steals a part of our humanity, if not used correctly?

I'd love to hear your views!

Re: Youth Decline Of Manners?Losing Humanity?

Here, my parents generation has tended towards treating kids as little adults... resulting in very confused young people who have never had much guidance or indeed disciplining.. that is not to say it is true for all, but for many it is...
    When I was in the smaller grades (around 8 years old) we looked up to the seniors (15-16)... when I was a senior many of us were actually bullied by those kids... I've had my coat stolen- I found it in the trash, my gloves set on fire... just before I graduated, a few tried to set fire to the school library....
    It serms scary. But I also think teenagers and young adults have frequently been the subject of this discussion. Imagine when rock'n'roll started...
    But as much as it seems to be going to the dogs (do you use that expression in English?), there are lots and lots of good people... always has been, always will be. The world just changes...
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

There was a point where I thought all teenagers were outright punks (and I'm not even much older than teenagers are), and I tried comparing their behavior to what mine was at that age. But I had such a warped upbringing, and that's not an uncommon thing. Now I see them more as individuals who have individual experiences and personality traits, and I know that when they get to be my age they will likely be looking at the next generation thinking the same things I was thinking.

I think it's all cyclical, I don't think we are losing humanity (in fact I think the internet has helped humanity along a fair bit because of the ability of mass communication to facets of society and culture that weren't readily available before). Awareness is raising, economies rise and fall (and have throughout human history), tragedies occur, great crimes occur, we learn, we heal, we rebuild, and then we repeat.

Comment

I think this "humanity" idea is a mirage that we have long reached for without ever reaching. And I think that teens today are no worse (or better) than 10, 20, 30, or 100 years ago. As for the internet, it has its pros and cons.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

You know, I caught myself thinking how irritating teens are these days. Then I really thought about it and realized that it was me that changed, not teens. Teenagers have annoyed older people since the dawn of time. That's what they do. Today's teens are not any worse than kids were in the past (in fact, I've read quite a few articles that suggested that they're -better- than kids were in "my day").

Comment

I walk very slowly nowadays... sometimes it irritates other pedestrians. One day I was making my way to the library when this boy in his late teens dashed ahead of me and I thought, 'He's an impatient one.'
            But he wasn't. He got to the library ahead of me, opened the door and waited to let me through.
            Most kids are actually still very nice.
            Not sure about some of the venomous old bats though...
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Sweet story Tylluan...Being old isn't to bad when things like that happen..
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                Sweet story Tylluan...Being old isn't to bad when things like that happen..
                I always say that being old - even if I' m knackered - is far better than the alternative!
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Teenagers ticked me off when I was a teenager.... I think I'm just grumpy.
                  http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                  ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I hate teenagers. But...I see quite a few with very good manners in my store. In fact last night riding my bike home down the darkened street I popped up on the sidewalk. And I just noticed the teen all in black walking and he had to walk on the grass. And I'm like soooooooory and he was totally cool about it. And we have quite a few young boys who work in our store doing stock etc. They are always so polite to me. It's ma'am this ma'am that. I like it. But I'm also like the mama bear of the store. And I have claws. So I have that working for me.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

The following quotes illustrate that adults always complained about the behavior of the younger generation - even back in the days of the an...

The young have apparently been in decline for ages, civilization marches on.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Kids these days!!!!.... with their loud music and their long hair, and their pot smoking and their draft dodging...and....oh, wait. Those were MY parents.

Signed RedF, the proud child of former hippies.

Comment

Hay,your talking about me...with the pot smoking and long hair and wait no draft dodging,I joined the navy before getting out and becoming a "Hippy"(Dislike that term BTW)
                          Street freak was the preferred term...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

So one of the big boys that works with us loves heavy metal music. Or some sort of screaming music. And the singer was like I AM A BLACK RAINBOW. And I'm like get that emo crap off my sales floor (we were closed at the time). He's like so Jodee, you like heavy metal? And I'm like do you see me? Does it look like I don't. Son, you don't know music till you are moshing in blood and puke. Kids these days.

(plays my manson)
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I like metal,but to be true I am a HARD rock fan..Stevie Ray Vaughan,and The red rocker... Sammy Hagar...Love Judas priest ,AC-DC,and the like...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X