Aztec Reconstruction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aztec Reconstruction

I'm really interested in how you practice your spirituality the Aztec religion is fascinating.

Re: Hello From an Aztec Reconstructionist!

callmeclemens what would you like to know?

Comment

Okay two questions.
      1. What are your regular spiritual practices?
      2. How do you navigate around the idea of Human Sacrifice? I understand it was important.

Comment

Re: Aztec Reconstruction

I moved this to be its own thread...

Also, possible of interest are some previous threads on the topic:

Saw similar threads, figured I know enough and this is my chosen path, got any questions, ask.

http://www.paganforum.com/showthread.php?4426-ask-an-aztec-polytheist!

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Yay, Aztec Recon thread. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
            Okay two questions.
            1. What are your regular spiritual practices?
            2. How do you navigate around the idea of Human Sacrifice? I understand it was important.
            1) Regular spiritual practices include re-familiarizing myself with the Gods, this might sound corny but I find it extremely helpful. I just read back over the myths, and biographies, artwork and the such over the Gods as a sort of re-connection with them. I also light copal incense and use some prayers I have personally made and some I found online. I light candles and offer dark chocolate, milk, meats, flowers, feathers and the like. Anything organic that comes from the earth and the creatures. I also chant some of the prayers as well as I feel that alerts the Gods easier to my presence and intent to worship.

2) I actually wrote a decent response to that on the /r/Anahuac subreddit's wiki. I will copy and paste it. here:

Sacrifice was commonplace in the ancient central American society of the Aztecs. Who under strict observance to the Gods gave the blood of both willing of unwilling participants. Sacrifices could cover a wide variety of areas from all aspects of life. Anything from agriculture, to warfare, to political disagreements. Though, blood wasn't always sacrificed. It was the most powerful in gaining the Gods recognition. Cocoa, meat, vegetables, fruit, pottery, jewelry, etc. Was also given to the Gods as recognition and appreciation for their divine actions and interventions.
            In the empire, sacrifices were handled by a priest in an ancient and orderly fashion. It was coordinated and contained to a festival and celebration that promoted both the Gods, the Tlahtoani (Emperor), and the priest. As well as bringing good fortune upon the Aztec people. Using prisoners of war was a common practice; even much so that there was a practice between the various city states called Xochiyaoyotl (Flowery Wars) where the cities would accumulate human prisoners for the sole purpose of sacrificing. So there wasn't any forced sacrificing of locals that didn't understand the concept. It wasn't the act of mass murdering of innocent civilians for the benefit of an insane blood thirsty emperor or priest.
            Aztec culture was deeply religious in the sense that the Gods were intertwined in the daily lives of the everyday practitioners. There was a concept among the people called "nextlaoaliztli" which roughly translates to "debt payment" from the act of creation and the giving of life has left an eternal debt upon us which can only be fulfilled through the act of blood, fidelity, and observance of Them. In the 21st century modern practitioners of the Anahuac religion do not under any circumstances advocated or sympathize with the concept or act of human sacrifice for the Gods. Though there is an option that most practitioners use in place of giving a life. It's called Blood Letting or Auto Sacrifices. It's the simple act of giving an amount of blood that's comfortable with the individual. You simply put it over an open flame or into purified water. That will appease the Gods for a while. Now, by a while solely depends on the amount given and for the reasons. If you don't give blood... the Gods will take it. And it will be forceful, either way the Gods will get their blood.

I just give a small amount of blood through Blood Letting for the Blood Debt (the act of creation of the human species) it's a small incision on my thigh, arm, chest, etc and I take the streams of blood and sacrifice it that way. Please ask more! I love answering questions.

Comment

How many Gods are there in your faith? And if too many to name, who are you favorites and for what purpose do they serve?
              "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
              And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
              They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
              The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
              - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

There are around 26 main Gods that the Aztecs recognized. There are others; example: Hinduism, there are a main pantheon and local village gods, area gods etc. My top five: Quetzelcoatl: God of Intellegience and Self-Reflection
                Tlaloc: God of Rain, Lightning and Thunder
                Huitzilopochtli: God of Sun, Fire and God of War
                Tezcatlipoca: God of Ancestral Memory, Time and Lord of the North
                Xochipili: the Flower Prince, is the god of flowers, pleasure, feasting, frivolity and artistic creativity.

Comment

Working...
                X