Saint Patrick's day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saint Patrick's day?

How do you feel about it? I get slightly offended not enough to protest but just make a post on facebook.

Re: Saint Patrick's day?

Not sure why you would be upset about what amounts to an excuse to get rolling drunk by most people..as they say everyone is Irish on saint pattys day....

Me,not at all impressed by it mainly because I hardly need to be irish to get drunk...
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

We drank until we were green in the face,
      My brother puked all over the place!
      They called the cops to haul us away;
      Another grand Saint Patrick's Day!

-from that famous Irish folk song, The Leprecaun In My Trousers
      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Tribe of my Tribe
      Clan of my Clan
      Kin of my Kin
      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Why are you offended? Because it portrays Irish=drunk, or because it celebrates Catholicism>indigenous Pagan beliefs in Ireland?

I don't care either way. I personally think its a silly thing to be offended by. I mean...literally (if one is offended by the latter), the life and times of St. Patrick are ancient history. Being offended because Catholicism (by way of Roman expansionism) took over any ancient indigenous Pagan beliefs in Ireland is a(IMO) nothing short of ethnocentrism applied to history. If its because its become a holiday of green beer and leprechauns, and portrays a stereotype of the Irish...le sigh, I can come up with a list of people longer than my arm that have it worse than that as a stereotype.

But if one wants to be offended because people often call it St. Patty's day instead of St. Paddy's day...I can get behind that.

In the mean time, I just consider it Irish American Heritage Day...with a touch of ancient Rome. Its a minor Catholic feast day-turned Irish American heritage celebration by Irish Americans in America (and later interestingly readopted in the secular since by the Irish outside of America). I have Irish American ancestors--some of them were even Catholic. I like leprechauns--I even have a great uncle that looks like one. And I'll drink green beer for that.
        “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
        ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
        ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          Why are you offended? Because it portrays Irish=drunk, or because it celebrates Catholicism>indigenous Pagan beliefs in Ireland?

I don't care either way. I personally think its a silly thing to be offended by. I mean...literally (if one is offended by the latter), the life and times of St. Patrick are ancient history. Being offended because Catholicism (by way of Roman expansionism) took over any ancient indigenous Pagan beliefs in Ireland is a(IMO) nothing short of ethnocentrism applied to history. If its because its become a holiday of green beer and leprechauns, and portrays a stereotype of the Irish...le sigh, I can come up with a list of people longer than my arm that have it worse than that as a stereotype.

But if one wants to be offended because people often call it St. Patty's day instead of St. Paddy's day...I can get behind that.

In the mean time, I just consider it Irish American Heritage Day...with a touch of ancient Rome. Its a minor Catholic feast day-turned Irish American heritage celebration by Irish Americans in America (and later interestingly readopted in the secular since by the Irish outside of America). I have Irish American ancestors--some of them were even Catholic. I like leprechauns--I even have a great uncle that looks like one. And I'll drink green beer for that.

It is the green beer. Food coloring in drinks is blasphemy! It alters the taste.

Comment

I can't find a reason to be offended by it.... Not one..., any chance on some clarification by the OP?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Wenny View Post
            It is the green beer. Food coloring in drinks is blasphemy! It alters the taste.
            Never mind, this is fair!
            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Ironically after looking in the graveyard. It seems every year a new person ask general the same question. Glad to carry on the tradition.

Comment

Screw green beer,give me the good stuff..Guinness...Or maybe Bass...
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm not Irish, but I have absolutely no problem engaging a bit in the holiday. Any excuse to do a little unwinding is fine by me.

Except last year a party bus pulled over next to my neighbor's house and some kid got out, retched on the street, and the bus then rolled away. I'm hoping we don't have that reenactment again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                    I can't find a reason to be offended by it.... Not one..., any chance on some clarification by the OP?

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind, this is fair!
                    I was trying to save myself there (however food color still makes things taste funny) and I am/was/is still a little fluffy about how to view things from a Pagan view point.

Comment

...I am/was/is still a little fluffy about how to view things from a Pagan view point.
                      I guess the same way we look at other holidays when we're up to our armpits in non-Pagans celebrating. We can hide in a hole on Christmas (like I do, but I hate Christmas anyway ) or just partake.
                      śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                      śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I have a serious dislike of seeing kilts on those who couldn't tell tartan from argyle if their life depended on it.

Comment

I was trying to save myself there (however food color still makes things taste funny) and I am/was/is still a little fluffy about how to view things from a Pagan view point.

I like fluffy. And I think there is nothing wrong with beign fluffy or offended...as long as you've given thought to the reasons why. I once was on the fence on the subject...the drun=irish merchandise bothers me a bit (My German-descended relatives are *way* more drunks than my Irish ones, but thats what October is for). But now I try to save my ire for things that I think actually are harmful. Heard some quote from a writer on NPR on the way home from work...something likE "the only thinkgs that are life and death matters are life and death". If
                          “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                          ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                          ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
                            I guess the same way we look at other holidays when we're up to our armpits in non-Pagans celebrating. We can hide in a hole on Christmas (like I do, but I hate Christmas anyway ) or just partake.
                            My daughter was born on Yule. I want to incorporate Celtic in the holidays but I don't know how.

Comment

I don't usually join the festivities but any holiday that gives me extra reason to drink is a good holiday!! Sorry if I sound shallow I just enjoy drinking, I don't understand why everything must be green D: Green beer is gross

Comment

Working...
                              X