X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saint Patrick's day?

Originally posted by AnaFae View Post
    Green beer is gross
    We did a "scientific experiment" in college--green beer vs regular (the drinkers were blindfolded). The results were unimpressive--the same as you'd expect in a coin toss.

The flavor difference is actually all in your head (seriously).
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I wnet to an Irish Festival last summer where the hot dog vendors put green coloring in the sauerkraut. It looked so weird! But of course it tasted the same.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Going to go to Chicago (Illinoian) to watch them dye the river green. A lot of Irish heritage in the city, there's a mass celebration.
        "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
        And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
        They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
        The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
        - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

I like kilts. If I could talk my husband into wearing one I'd be a lucky girl because he does have some wonderful calves . However that being said the Scott's are the ones who lay claim to the kilt. In the 19th century there was a "Gaelic Revival" and some not all of the Irish adopted a kilt. They wished to preserve their history more can be read here.

I can't say I go out and enjoy the festivities of Saint Patrick's day but its not because I am offended rather I don't like dealing with the drunken crowds. I'll drink my tullamore dew or jamason at home. Though dallas does have a huge Saint Patrick's day parade.
          "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
            I like kilts. If I could talk my husband into wearing one I'd be a lucky girl because he does have some wonderful calves . However that being said the Scott's are the ones who lay claim to the kilt. In the 19th century there was a "Gaelic Revival" and some not all of the Irish adopted a kilt. They wished to preserve their history more can be read here.
            THIS is sort of what bothers me. I *know* there are good reasons for people to wear kilts and listen to bagpipe music on St. Patrick's day, but around here where I live, most who do smush all the Celt-y things together in one big shamrocky leprechaun tartan plaid package that erases all the history between the different Celtic countries. As someone with both Scots and Irish blood (Lowland Scots, Northern Irish) it's irritating.

ETA: Kalynrae, I didn't mean to make it sound like *YOU* were being offensive or erasive or anything. I'm just saying that people where *I* live don't have the awareness YOU do. *blushes*

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              We did a "scientific experiment" in college--green beer vs regular (the drinkers were blindfolded). The results were unimpressive--the same as you'd expect in a coin toss.

(grumbles at the science) It still taste funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfaery View Post
                THIS is sort of what bothers me. I *know* there are good reasons for people to wear kilts and listen to bagpipe music on St. Patrick's day, but around here where I live, most who do smush all the Celt-y things together in one big shamrocky leprechaun tartan plaid package that erases all the history between the different Celtic countries. As someone with both Scots and Irish blood (Lowland Scots, Northern Irish) it's irritating.

ETA: Kalynrae, I didn't mean to make it sound like *YOU* were being offensive or erasive or anything. I'm just saying that people where *I* live don't have the awareness YOU do. *blushes*

Nope nope I completely agree with you. It drives me crazy as well. Its extremely irritating that people don't care or bother to know the difference. I went shopping today and the cops are already shutting down Greenville (thats where our parade is). I guess I'm just a fun sucker this year..
                "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

In an AP class, we were examining the effect of "rhetoric" (the art of speaking and writing effectively) , and we did a blind taste experiment where we compared "exotic bottled water" with drinking fountain water.

The results were: drinking fountain fountain water tastes better than exotic bottled water.

Fancy that. People are suckers for advertising...

LOL.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    In an AP class, we were examining the effect of "rhetoric" (the art of speaking and writing effectively) , and we did a blind taste experiment where we compared "exotic bottled water" with drinking fountain water.

The results were: drinking fountain fountain water tastes better than exotic bottled water.

Fancy that. People are suckers for advertising...

LOL.
                    We have a cold drinking fountain at work and here in the fridge at home (water spout) I re-fill my one bottled water with it.

Yes. I'm drinking out of my one plastic bottle for a week. I love all the evil chemicals in my plastic water. I'm going to die from sugar before I die from the plastic. Leave me be.

Also cold water has no taste so it doesn't matter to me.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

At CMU, where I attended college back in the 80s, they have (my daughter is currently attending) drinking fountains designed to fill bottles - this is a HUGE step toward effective use of resources. One no longer has to buy bottled water in disposable containers (I refill used pop containers, meself).
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

As an Irish heritage day, I use it to honor my Celtic ancestors. However I refuse to celebrate it as St.Patricks day (who by the way totally ripped off the story of radiant Lord Lugh driving the fomori out) and take the time to teach people about the ancient times.

Comment

My husband oversaw me reading this thread, and now wants to experience "the green beer." >.>

Comment

Nope, they only bother food coloring crappy easy to dye beer.... That's why its gross.... In my experience anyway...
                            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                              Nope, they only bother food coloring crappy easy to dye beer.... That's why its gross.... In my experience anyway...
                              Yeah...you are going to the wrong bars!

Besides you can't compare a good beer vs a crappy dyed beer and be scientific. You have to use the same beer, just dyed vs undyed (whether it is liquid nirvana or craptastic lite crap).
                              “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                              ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                              ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

I rarely drink and I can't do loud places for long, so St. Patrick's Day doesn't hold much appeal for me.
                                “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                                X