Burial methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Burial methods

And so, with the law not being a problem, how would you be laid to rest if it were your choice?
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
      And so, with the law not being a problem, how would you be laid to rest if it were your choice?
      Without the law being a problem I would definitely buy some land & start an ancestral grove with trees planted "in" the people buried there.

Comment

Perhaps because of the law I have never given it much thought. I don't feel very attatched to my body (well, I obviously do, but I don't believe it matters much after I die), but being buried in the woods sounds good... I like the idea of nourishing new plants.
        You remind me of the babe
        What babe?
        The babe with the power
        What power?
        The Power of voodoo
        Who do?
        You do!
        Do what?
        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

With the growing interest in Norse Paganism in that part of the world, do you think the government would start making exceptions for those leaning towards differing religious beliefs? I'm quite sure it's in Iceland that Heathenism is growing faster than the next several religions combined. Not sure how it is in Denmark or Sweden
          - Finn's Saga

Comment

I remember hearing talk of a heathen burial ground, but I don't really know what happened to that. I don't know about iceland, perhaps... perhaps it's different there already. As for Denmark, I'm pretty sure nothing big is going to happen - an approved burial ground in a wood perhaps, but nothing more in any near future.
            You remind me of the babe
            What babe?
            The babe with the power
            What power?
            The Power of voodoo
            Who do?
            You do!
            Do what?
            Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Both my parents have different family plots. I know something that really hurts my dad is that I will not be able to be buried with him (Jewish cemetery, I have tattoos) and something my mom feels down about (Fully catholic plot, never was baptized.) I won't end up being buried with either of them. I'm not too upset by this, but does anyone else have the same problem?
              Not really...the hubby and I both plan to be cremated and chucked out to sea, courtesy of the US Navy. Not something our families have expressed issues with (besides, aside from the cremation, its free).
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Pretty sure Dad's plan is Arlington (Mom may or may not follow suite). No one in the family is going to put any pressure whatsoever on me to me to earn a slot at Arlington. Makes funeral planning, whenever I get around to it, low on pressure.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Odahviing View Post
                  Without the law being a problem I would definitely buy some land & start an ancestral grove with trees planted "in" the people buried there.
                  Around here, periodically, somebody buys a house and finds a settler's graveyard. Generally, they are dug up and moved.

That's one of the reasons I'm in for cremation - I don't want to be a bother to anyone after I'm dead.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    Around here, periodically, somebody buys a house and finds a settler's graveyard. Generally, they are dug up and moved.

That's one of the reasons I'm in for cremation - I don't want to be a bother to anyone after I'm dead.
                    Similar story, when they extended the o'hare airport in Chicago, they ended up digging up a large graveyard for construction. I find relocating the dead in bad tastes. Was a huge controversy when it happened.
                    - Finn's Saga

Comment

We had a friend whose Tudor shop (15th century) was built over a much earlier Anglo-Saxon Graveyard. Whenever he did any renovating (such as propping up the building) he found a body. When this happens in the UK it's quite a big deal - all work much stop. He ended up keeping one set of bones in a plastic box - used to bring it out at mealtimes when guests were about. Really used to put people off their grub, too.
                      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I just hate the idea of my remains being kept for extensive periods of time in a box on someone's mantel.
                        Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
                        I'll see your pine box and raise you a cardboard box.

Maybe I can get my hands on a Viking sword (pun intended) and hold it while I'm being bbq'ed, ala a Viking funeral. Currently I have a 17" seax, but I'd like a sword. Anyway... yes, cremation but I'm also uncertain about disposition of my ashes. However, under no circumstances are they to be kept by anyone.
                        There are cool witchy things I could do like have them put into ink or a sword. I don't have anyone to give them to if I did that this point. If I don't have someone to pass it onto my athame will go with me.

Comment

I have a very specific plan. I want to be buried in the family graveyard in the Outer Banks, but I don't want to be embalmed. Just a pine box. I also want to have all usable organs removed and donated. I'd like my brain to be donated to Autism research, and my guts to be cremated and put into a ceramic urn and buried under the Chestnut Oak in my family's yard.

Comment

What I would most want it to own enough land (I believe it's 5+ acres in Texas) so that I could be buried there, in land that would pass down to my theoretical children. I would build a half-buried mausoleum and cover the upper portion in enough sod for grass to grow over. This way, should any descendants of mine come to sleep on the burial mound of their ancestors, they will know just where to go. I don't want anything done to me, no organs removed, just placed in a sarcophagus and interred in the familial burial mound.
                            "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."--Mark Twain

"There are only two types of people in this world who walk around beardless; boys and women. I am neither one." --Ancient Greek saying

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
                              There are cool witchy things I could do like have them put into ink or a sword. I don't have anyone to give them to if I did that this point. If I don't have someone to pass it onto my athame will go with me.
                              Wait I'm intrigued. If I read you right, you can embide ashes into an athame, or into ink? Please clarify, and share your methods
                              - Finn's Saga

Comment

Wait I'm intrigued. If I read you right, you can embide ashes into an athame, or into ink? Please clarify, and share your methods
                                Not sure about the athame bit, but you can DIY India Ink from charcoal ash, same thing might work with people ash (not sure though, because the composition of ash varies quite a bit). This might be interesting--they put a sterilized bit of the ash into the tattoo ink to do a memorial tattoo. They can also turn cremains into gemstones*.

*I would consider this. I think it would be kind of a neat way to honor one's family and have an heirloom that literally represented one's family that could be passed down from generation to generation.
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X