Thread: Insulted for your beliefs?

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Insulted for your beliefs?

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    My co worker likes to bust my chops over being an atheist. I told him the office was hot and that's why I brought my fan in. I'm like you don't understand the heat I radiate. And he's like that's because you are from hell.

I thought it was a good one.

Yeah, I get similar stuff occasionally. I think its funny. Apparently though its harassment ("micro-aggressions". Imo, thats bs. Harassment is having someone whip out their penis and make insultingly suggestive explicit comments about it while waving it in your face (from the personal experiences of thalassa file). And the way to handle harassment is to punch it in the balls...because you can't tell on me without incriminating yourself and (at the time this happened) as a female in the military you sure as shit didn't hadle this sort of thing through official channels.

Asanine commentary is exactly that...though sometimes with the added benefit of being funny. But if you make that sort of comment to someone with a lousy sense of hummor having a bad day, or that lacks a strong personality, or someone that is insecure in their beleifs....and "oh. You are opressing meeeeeee". It detracts from the very real instances of harassment and discrimination discrimination.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    Yeah, I get similar stuff occasionally. I think its funny. Apparently though its harassment ("micro-aggressions". Imo, thats bs. Harassment is having someone whip out their penis and make insultingly suggestive explicit comments about it while waving it in your face (from the personal experiences of thalassa file). And the way to handle harassment is to punch it in the balls...because you can't tell on me without incriminating yourself and (at the time this happened) as a female in the military you sure as shit didn't hadle this sort of thing through official channels.

Asanine commentary is exactly that...though sometimes with the added benefit of being funny. But if you make that sort of comment to someone with a lousy sense of hummor having a bad day, or that lacks a strong personality, or someone that is insecure in their beleifs....and "oh. You are opressing meeeeeee". It detracts from the very real instances of harassment and discrimination discrimination.
    This is pretty much my thinking as well.

It's sad, and somewhat pathetic when I hear people talk all about their "right" to be free, while they simultaneously cut down others who exercise the same "right."

Are people unaware that each person is different? That one person's "right" to have an expressed opinion - in a free society - is exactly the same as any other person's?

Yeah, when it comes to blows, it is a different story completely. But if somebody flicks a booger at you, don't call in a swat team.

Some parts of one's "right to freedom" are completely un-enforceable...

Unless one is willing to give up freedom completely.

Interesting paradox. Fit subject for meditation.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

It's funny because my boss is a devout Catholic Mexican/Italian Marine. So...that's oodles of fun. Like he's doing lent right now and he's off for the Easter weekend sorta guy. The other assistant is Muslim. We all pretty much have a good attitude about religion etc. We are respectful but comfortable poking fun at each other. But...deep down? My two bosses are sorta freaked out by me. A tad scared I would say.

Which is exactly how it should be.
    Satan is my spirit animal