Goffin' off with True Facts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goffin' off with True Facts...

My English 11B is filled with redneck hillbillies, to whome I have to teach William Cullen Bryant, Emerson, and Thereau...

I showed them "True Facts About Morgan Freedman" and gained a lot of street cred, thanks to Thalassa...

So, you know, thanks!
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Goffin' off with True Facts...

HAHA! I love that dude... Glad it helped!

So...is there a connection there, between True Facts and Emerson that I have missed, or is it one of those attention getter things?

Because I saw the FUNNIEST show on electricity in my ergonomics class, and I would totally use it as a science teacher...or if I needed a good laugh:

^I totally want to go find all of these to watch now
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Nope, but the class is made up of hillbillies who have failed 11th grade English more than once, so anything I can do to get them on my side is a win.

Humor does that. If I can get them to laugh with me, we can get through Emerson & Thoreau & Bryant without too much pain...
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

What else are you teaching this year?
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          HAHA! I love that dude... Glad it helped!

So...is there a connection there, between True Facts and Emerson that I have missed, or is it one of those attention getter things?

Because I saw the FUNNIEST show on electricity in my ergonomics class, and I would totally use it as a science teacher...or if I needed a good laugh:

^I totally want to go find all of these to watch now
          I love Mr. Hammond! He's a pretty funny guy. Thanks for the share.
          "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
          And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
          They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
          The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
          - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

What else are you teaching this year?
            I have journalism I & II, which I have a good handle on.

I also have English 9B, which is drama (Romeo & Juliet, which I also have a good handle on), and English 11B, which I got, suddenly, a weekend before I started teaching it - it starts w/ Emerson & Thoreau, & goes on from there

Thoreau will make sense to them, what with Civil Disobedience & all, but the language throws them off...

The trick is, for these guys, is making it relevant to them... Which is possible, since they are moonshinin' & smugglin' boo...

Comment

(I just think he's cute)

What else do you cover in that class?
              sigpic

Comment

(I just think he's cute)

What else do you cover in that class?
                Honestly? I'm not sure yet. It was sprung on me as a surprise.. I will be figuring it out over spring break (end of March)...

Such is education...

Comment

If you like hammond and science, watch "the science of stupid" it's good.

Just curious. 9B and 11B how old are they?
                  You remind me of the babe
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Gotta give it to you B. De.,I myself would not have the Patience for teaching. My first move would to smack the toughest looking kid,and go for the king of the room style of teaching...but I would also most likely get tossed in the slammer for good..
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

9B is ninth grade, so, depending on how many classes they've failed, 14 and up.

11B starts at 16, and goes up from there. About half I have in the current class are 18.

It's not so bad, the classroom work can be fun - the paperwork stinks, though.

Comment

Working...
                      X