Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Church & State News

  1. #41
    Copper Member
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    965
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE
    Location
    SE Washington

    Re: Church & State News

    What other religions are being taught? I tried to log on to Ktel.com as the video asks but the site is down... maybe something is being hidden?

    Teaching the basics of different religions to provide a social understanding is not a bad thing but such a curriculum would, by necessity, include other religions as well. I doubt that many religions could be fit into such a short course which begs the question, "which religions are being examined?"
    The "big three" would be the minimum but that would exclude major religions of many regions and, of course, those religions that fall under the label of Pagan.

    If only Islam is being examined this is an unlawful act by "promoting" one religion over others. It would be the same as a public school teaching Christianity or any other single religion.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

  2. #42
    Supporter kalynraye's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,728
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch
    Location
    Menasha, WI

    Re: Church & State News

    Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Hmmm....

    Apparently the phrase "anybody who is anybody" excludes all non-Christians - at least, in this person's view...


    Tennessee Mom Throws A Fit When Her Daughter Learns About Islam In School:
    “It is time as parents, teachers and administrators we stand up and take back our families, our schools and our country.”


    Watch the vid.
    OMG seriously!! Does she not understand we are a nation of multiple religions, that we were founded on religious freedom??? Of course they need to teach about other religions and cultures. The USA is a melting pot of different people. I do not for the life of me understand such close minded people!

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsFriend View Post
    What other religions are being taught? I tried to log on to Ktel.com as the video asks but the site is down... maybe something is being hidden?

    Teaching the basics of different religions to provide a social understanding is not a bad thing but such a curriculum would, by necessity, include other religions as well. I doubt that many religions could be fit into such a short course which begs the question, "which religions are being examined?"
    The "big three" would be the minimum but that would exclude major religions of many regions and, of course, those religions that fall under the label of Pagan.

    If only Islam is being examined this is an unlawful act by "promoting" one religion over others. It would be the same as a public school teaching Christianity or any other single religion.
    When I was in middle school and high school we learned about not only Christianity, Judaism, and Islam but Hinduism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Buddhism. Basic principles of each one. Which should be taught. The world is not just christians and raising a bunch of children to think there is only one way is ridiculous and foolish. Some or most of those children will eventually go out into the world and meet people of different beliefs and cultures and will be ill prepared to handle it. Taking Islam out of a textbook is just adding to fear and racism. I think she needs to go back and read her bible. I'm pretty sure there is a big huge section on tolerance.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

    "Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

  3. #43
    The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8,270
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Location
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

    Re: Church & State News

    In 6th grade the Tennessee state curriculum (as per the article) includes:

    Christianity
    Judaism
    Buddhism
    Hinduism

    In the 7th grade:

    Islam and it's relation to Christianity and Judaism.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

    I can't do everything, but I can do something.

  4. #44
    Supporter kalynraye's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,728
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch
    Location
    Menasha, WI

    Re: Church & State News

    "in relation to Christianity and Judaism" comparing them. How is that wrong? What is unchristian about that?

    Kind of off subject but we have 3 Syrian refugees that just started at work and I had a coworker who didn't know Muslims and Jews don't eat pork. That Hindus don't eat beef. She could not for the life of her understand why any religion would give up a certain animal. Nor did she know the principles behind any of them. As a cook this is not something that is ok. We feed people and you need to know basics of multiple cultures. Especially at a University where there is so much diversity.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

    "Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

  5. #45
    Copper Member
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    965
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE
    Location
    SE Washington

    Re: Church & State News

    Quote Originally Posted by kalynraye View Post
    "in relation to Christianity and Judaism" comparing them. How is that wrong? What is unchristian about that?

    Kind of off subject but we have 3 Syrian refugees that just started at work and I had a coworker who didn't know Muslims and Jews don't eat pork. That Hindus don't eat beef. She could not for the life of her understand why any religion would give up a certain animal. Nor did she know the principles behind any of them. As a cook this is not something that is ok. We feed people and you need to know basics of multiple cultures. Especially at a University where there is so much diversity.
    Comparing Christianity to any other religion goes against most Christian beliefs. We know that Christianity sprung from Judaism and that Islam sprung from Christianity and that their roots are in pagan belief systems before them. But try to explain to a Christian that Abraham, of the Bible, came from Sumer (Ur) and was raised as a Sumerian in a Pagan faith and fathered Judaism based on its myths and it would be sacrilege. I have discussed this with Jews and they are aware of it and readily accept it. Christianity cut itself off from its roots as did Islam, both to make their religion the only "true" faith. Yesuah was after all a Jew and a rabbi. The "new" religion he offered was called "the new Judaism" until Saul of Tarsus named it "Christian".
    My point was that if they are going to teach the tenants of religion they should include all religions, maybe even pagan religions?
    Last edited by DragonsFriend; 06 Oct 2016 at 16:07.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

  6. #46
    Live and learn anunitu's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10,927
    Religion
    stregheria

    Re: Church & State News

    Many religions tend to obscure their connection to earlier belief systems. One example of connection is Voodoo(by other names I know) that has a Catholic base in its history,though Voodoo does not hide that part of their history. I might guess Catholics "Might" want to disavow their connection to Voodoo however.

    Religion and belief is a very fluid in nature thing. Time and condition can and often does alter its structure.

    Even human nature grows and changes over time depending on the factors that can shape it.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

    all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.




    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

    my new page here,let me know what you think.


    nothing but the shadow of what was

  7. #47
    Supporter kalynraye's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,728
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch
    Location
    Menasha, WI

    Re: Church & State News

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsFriend View Post
    Comparing Christianity to any other religion goes against most Christian beliefs. We know that Christianity sprung from Judaism and that Islam sprung from Christianity and that their roots are in pagan belief systems before them. But try to explain to a Christian that Abraham, of the Bible, came from Sumer (Ur) and was raised as a Sumerian in a Pagan faith and fathered Judaism based on its myths and it would be sacrilege. I have discussed this with Jews and they are aware of it and readily accept it. Christianity cut itself off from its roots as did Islam, both to make their religion the only "true" faith. Yesuah was after all a Jew and a rabbi. The "new" religion he offered was called "the new Judaism" until Saul of Tarsus named it "Christian".
    My point was that if they are going to teach the tenants of religion they should include all religions, maybe even pagan religions?
    Actually Islam is a break off of Judaism not Christianity, but regardless if you have a problem learning about another religion or your child learning about a different religion maybe they shouldn't be in a public school. I do agree that the major religions of the world should be taught in school.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

    "Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

  8. #48
    Copper Member
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    965
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE
    Location
    SE Washington

    Re: Church & State News

    Quote Originally Posted by kalynraye View Post
    Actually Islam is a break off of Judaism not Christianity, but regardless if you have a problem learning about another religion or your child learning about a different religion maybe they shouldn't be in a public school. I do agree that the major religions of the world should be taught in school.
    Since Islam believes that Jesus was a prophet and began around 610 CE I would be surprised that it wasn't a Christian off shoot. Both Islam and Christianity share a root in Judaism and their use of the old testament and prophets before Jesus shows that. Islam believes that the Jews and Christians have modified the messages of the prophets and the teachings of Jesus. Islam therefore shows that Judaism and Christianity are in its roots, although I doubt there are many that would accept that.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

  9. #49
    Sr. Member Chessa's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    309
    Gender
    female
    Location
    Kansas
    Phrase
    Roses are red, violets are blue. The next one is false, the last one was true!

    Re: Church & State News

    The five "major" world religions are: Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism. Any time I've taken a comparative religions-type class, it's those five.

Similar Threads

  1. Pagan News & Pagans in the News
    By thalassa in forum News & Current Events
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 20 Dec 2016, 08:50
  2. Good News in Separation of Church and State
    By Rick in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27 Nov 2014, 22:23
  3. Welfare State
    By Alienist in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 24 Jun 2014, 06:41
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22 Jul 2013, 00:20

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •