X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Church & State News

I'm making this guy a sticky.

And to open it up for news articles and discussion, I'll kick it with this charming (sorry Texas) congressan's little idea:

The reactions are bee-you-tee-full!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Church & State News

I never understand why they keep trying this stuff..It is stupid and also a bit annoying. Clear as anything..separation of church and State...
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Wait,and the weird and strange will come to you...

Arizona lawmaker wants church attendance to be mandatory

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2164602

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

If this is true, I will laugh so hard.... http://conservativefrontline.com/mar...ed-he-was-gay/

EDIT: Pretty sure its a satire news site. But if it happens, I will LAUGH...
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

This just doesn't make sense. What the heck does religion have to do with the armed forces? Isn't government supposed to be separate from religion? Maybe i'm thinking of something else.
          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Our state (Iowa) allows a blessing at the opening of the state senate and house so long as the blessing is inclusive. A Wiccan member of my church will be the first Wiccan in the country to offer a blessing at the state level. http://www.kcrg.com/subject/news/wic...house-20150328
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

^^^ I read another article about that, http://www.kcci.com/news/wiccan-to-d...tives/32066106
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Not really news (more sarcastically humorous commentary) on the Indiana "Religious FReedom" legislation...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  Not really news (more sarcastically humorous commentary) on the Indiana "Religious FReedom" legislation...
                  Lol funny thing about #5 is the bible verse that people think says men or women shouldn't crossdress, actually refers to men disguising themselves as women not to go to war, or women disguising themselves as men to go to war. So if a woman is in the military at all, no cake for her. XD

I think the sad part is that I can actually see a lot of christians following through on some of these things though, from my experience in a charismatic evangelical church. v_v

Comment

Sadly but predictably, they begin to eat their own. http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/d/s...PUaZJn_SHFqqXQ
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                      Sadly but predictably, they begin to eat their own. http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/d/s...PUaZJn_SHFqqXQ
                      I'm pretty sure that they don't consider an inclusive Christian denomination "their own"....
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                        Our state (Iowa) allows a blessing at the opening of the state senate and house so long as the blessing is inclusive. A Wiccan member of my church will be the first Wiccan in the country to offer a blessing at the state level. http://www.kcrg.com/subject/news/wic...house-20150328
                        An update on this. Deb is still planning to be there, but there are already people picketing. She made a comment in one interview about how many Wiccans didn't want to claim the title witch because of the negative stereotypes Christians associate with the word due to the bible. The article quoted her as simply saying that the word witch has a bad reputation. So there are chunks of the pagan community out to get her for that one. And the Christians...duh. There is a chance the Westboro's are going to show up, but they weren't there yet on Saturday night, likely because of Easter. We're expecting them by Tuesday. The invocation is on Thursday.

And then she made a comment in one interview about how she has her first degree in the Cabot tradition. So the Cabot's are on her now and have given her an ultimatum. The invocation she was going to do was an inclusive one more in line with the Unitarian Universalist ideologies (she is also a lay minister for the UU). She was told by the Cabots (the daughter was the one who called her) that she could not act as a UU minister and a Cabot priestess. If she did not do the invocation in the Cabot tradition, she would loose their backing and her priesthood. And since the invocation is required by state to be inclusive, she's not sure if they are going to allow her to do the Cabot invocation. In which case she will be calling them back and going from there.
                        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post

And then she made a comment in one interview about how she has her first degree in the Cabot tradition. So the Cabot's are on her now and have given her an ultimatum. The invocation she was going to do was an inclusive one more in line with the Unitarian Universalist ideologies (she is also a lay minister for the UU). She was told by the Cabots (the daughter was the one who called her) that she could not act as a UU minister and a Cabot priestess. If she did not do the invocation in the Cabot tradition, she would loose their backing and her priesthood. And since the invocation is required by state to be inclusive, she's not sure if they are going to allow her to do the Cabot invocation. In which case she will be calling them back and going from there.

...And this is why we continue to have bad PR.

Seriously. Public change is incremental. It requires baby steps, it takes coddling, and coaxing, and compassion, and buckets of patience. Decades of work*. For groups of people that are all *oh, ancient traditions and ideals*, they sure don't understand concepts of communites very well.

And what happends when someone finally has this opportunity?

Oh, well...if you don't do it *my* way, it doesn't count and I will fry you publically.

*and that is decades of behind the scenes work just to get to the point where visible activism can work, and even then (if you look at the Civil Rights movement in the US as an example, it took over 10 years of protests) it takes years of civil action to get real change
                          sigpic

Comment

I only have this to say...see Duce's cartoon from the other thread once again..

Last edited by anunitu; 06 Apr 2015, 07:34.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

These just in:

Atheist Mom Gets Threats After School Cancels 'Bible Man' Visits

"We just can't get over how much hate there is in their loving, Christian hearts," the mother, who has not been identified due to the nature of the threats, told the station.

And this here:

Oklahoma Satanist church wants permission to distribute books in elementary school

Less than two weeks after a third-grade teacher in Duncan, Okla., distributed Gideon Bibles to her students, the Church of Ahriman, a Satanist church in Oklahoma City, has asked permission to distribute Satanist literature at Woodrow Wilson Elementary School.
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X