This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Church & State News

Ok,this is an interesting question,and it may spark a debate,but I hope not.

Here is the story.
    Are employers required to grant Muslim employees prayer breaks?

Now it comes to the question,can YOU ask for say a break to do a religious thing,like burn incense to an Idol at work? also what about other religious folks not of the Christian or Muslim persuasion?

- - - Updated - - -

Also,what if part of your religious beliefs requires you to smoke some bud,like Rastafarians?

- - - Updated - - -

Ponder that one please.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Or if your religious beliefs require you to not touch pork or alcohol and you work at a store that sells it in a job that requires you to do that.
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Yeh,something like that,or a pharmacist that refuses to sell birth control because their religion forbids it... Kinda slippery slope I think...Or marriage license for gays,cause you think that is Icky!

- - - Updated - - -

and I just thought if you will not fill my script for pain pills because you are against it on religious grounds.(darn,I went there)

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I've probably told this story here before, but years ago I worked at a place with Tues. - Sat. hours. Sat. was the busiest day. We had an Orthodox Jewish part timer who wanted to be Ass't. Mgr. when that opened up. That required Friday eve. and a full day on Sat., which she said she couldn't do. The head honcho was Jewish himself and he came in and explained to her that although we had been, and would continue to be willing to flex her hours to accommodate her in her part time position, it wasn't going to work in any kind of management situation since these were the hours of the place, period.

So that's kind of how it is, IMO. If you are already working somewhere, you know their deal. If they change mid-stream and suddenly try to make you come in on your worship day when they didn't do so in the past, then you have a case. There needs to be a common-sense common ground. Other wise you have everybody taking every full moon and Friday off and wearing spaghetti strainers on their heads at the conference table. (Sounds kinda fun!)
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

You might be a pastafarian...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Well, I'm def. a pasta addict LOL
              sigpic

Comment

Well when we hire people we ask them if they have any restrictions. We have had a few say they can't work on Sundays. As long as we know up front, we try to accommodate.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Assault rifles for Jesus. This is how it's done in Missouri.

http://www.rawstory.com/2014/06/miss...3sIV8.facebook
                  sigpic

Comment

Hmmm....

Apparently the phrase "anybody who is anybody" excludes all non-Christians - at least, in this person's view...

Tennessee Mom Throws A Fit When Her Daughter Learns About Islam In School:

Watch the vid.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I myself am leaning towards the raisincrusians and their respect to the SUN dried experience.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

What other religions are being taught? I tried to log on to Ktel.com as the video asks but the site is down... maybe something is being hidden?

Teaching the basics of different religions to provide a social understanding is not a bad thing but such a curriculum would, by necessity, include other religions as well. I doubt that many religions could be fit into such a short course which begs the question, "which religions are being examined?"
                        The "big three" would be the minimum but that would exclude major religions of many regions and, of course, those religions that fall under the label of Pagan.

If only Islam is being examined this is an unlawful act by "promoting" one religion over others. It would be the same as a public school teaching Christianity or any other single religion.
                        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                          Hmmm....

Apparently the phrase "anybody who is anybody" excludes all non-Christians - at least, in this person's view...

Tennessee Mom Throws A Fit When Her Daughter Learns About Islam In School:
                          “It is time as parents, teachers and administrators we stand up and take back our families, our schools and our country.”

Watch the vid.
                          OMG seriously!! Does she not understand we are a nation of multiple religions, that we were founded on religious freedom??? Of course they need to teach about other religions and cultures. The USA is a melting pot of different people. I do not for the life of me understand such close minded people!

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                          What other religions are being taught? I tried to log on to Ktel.com as the video asks but the site is down... maybe something is being hidden?

Teaching the basics of different religions to provide a social understanding is not a bad thing but such a curriculum would, by necessity, include other religions as well. I doubt that many religions could be fit into such a short course which begs the question, "which religions are being examined?"
                          The "big three" would be the minimum but that would exclude major religions of many regions and, of course, those religions that fall under the label of Pagan.

If only Islam is being examined this is an unlawful act by "promoting" one religion over others. It would be the same as a public school teaching Christianity or any other single religion.
                          When I was in middle school and high school we learned about not only Christianity, Judaism, and Islam but Hinduism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Buddhism. Basic principles of each one. Which should be taught. The world is not just christians and raising a bunch of children to think there is only one way is ridiculous and foolish. Some or most of those children will eventually go out into the world and meet people of different beliefs and cultures and will be ill prepared to handle it. Taking Islam out of a textbook is just adding to fear and racism. I think she needs to go back and read her bible. I'm pretty sure there is a big huge section on tolerance.
                          "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

In 6th grade the Tennessee state curriculum (as per the article) includes:

Christianity
                            Judaism
                            Buddhism
                            Hinduism

In the 7th grade:

Islam and it's relation to Christianity and Judaism.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

"in relation to Christianity and Judaism" comparing them. How is that wrong? What is unchristian about that?

Kind of off subject but we have 3 Syrian refugees that just started at work and I had a coworker who didn't know Muslims and Jews don't eat pork. That Hindus don't eat beef. She could not for the life of her understand why any religion would give up a certain animal. Nor did she know the principles behind any of them. As a cook this is not something that is ok. We feed people and you need to know basics of multiple cultures. Especially at a University where there is so much diversity.
                              "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                                "in relation to Christianity and Judaism" comparing them. How is that wrong? What is unchristian about that?

Kind of off subject but we have 3 Syrian refugees that just started at work and I had a coworker who didn't know Muslims and Jews don't eat pork. That Hindus don't eat beef. She could not for the life of her understand why any religion would give up a certain animal. Nor did she know the principles behind any of them. As a cook this is not something that is ok. We feed people and you need to know basics of multiple cultures. Especially at a University where there is so much diversity.
                                Comparing Christianity to any other religion goes against most Christian beliefs. We know that Christianity sprung from Judaism and that Islam sprung from Christianity and that their roots are in pagan belief systems before them. But try to explain to a Christian that Abraham, of the Bible, came from Sumer (Ur) and was raised as a Sumerian in a Pagan faith and fathered Judaism based on its myths and it would be sacrilege. I have discussed this with Jews and they are aware of it and readily accept it. Christianity cut itself off from its roots as did Islam, both to make their religion the only "true" faith. Yesuah was after all a Jew and a rabbi. The "new" religion he offered was called "the new Judaism" until Saul of Tarsus named it "Christian".
                                My point was that if they are going to teach the tenants of religion they should include all religions, maybe even pagan religions?
                                Last edited by DragonsFriend; 06 Oct 2016, 16:07.
                                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                                I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X