Magical Names (I Don't Get It)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Magical Names (I Don't Get It)

I don't use one. I never saw a need too. Thistle is sort of an online witchy name...I've made a few friends who know my real, full name. Some still call me it. So more of a nickname than a magic name I guess.

Comment

Juniper is my "magical" name because I thought that's just what you did, back when I chose to follow a different path than what I grew up with. But really, over time, the name has become such a part of me that it basically IS my name. One of them. lol
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
        Just my own thoughts but if your doing it, selecting a magical name that is, to represent the spiritual / magical side of your life then your not embracing your whole life but making it something you do on the side. About like a Christian who is a Christian on Sunday go to church only and the other 6 days well it doesn't matter.

That aspect has always intrigued me regarding paganism. It'd be like me saying.."Hey Hekate it's so and so" and thinking she doesn't look at me and say or ask who I think I am the rest of the time?" Or worse assume that she doesn't know all the faces I wear and is only aware of the face I turn towards her.

If your magical / spiritual isn't fully part of all your life then who is lying to whom?
        Gonna be honest, I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that I must not be sincere about my religion because I'm thinking about using a magical name that better represents myself than my birth name.

Why do you assume that using a specific name for one aspect of your life/self means that that part of your life must only be a hobby or part-time interest? Does an author who uses a pen name only write as a hobby? Does that author stop being an author when they're not writing? Does a pagan stop being a pagan when they're at work and have to answer to their birth name instead of a name that has more spiritual significance to them?

This is all hypothetical on my end anyway. I don't currently use a magical name for any purpose, and I may never use one if I don't think it would help me in my spiritual development. That's what I'm considering right now.

Comment

Originally posted by sea-salt View Post
          Gonna be honest, I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that I must not be sincere about my religion because I'm thinking about using a magical name that better represents myself than my birth name.

Why do you assume that using a specific name for one aspect of your life/self means that that part of your life must only be a hobby or part-time interest? Does an author who uses a pen name only write as a hobby? Does that author stop being an author when they're not writing? Does a pagan stop being a pagan when they're at work and have to answer to their birth name instead of a name that has more spiritual significance to them?

This is all hypothetical on my end anyway. I don't currently use a magical name for any purpose, and I may never use one if I don't think it would help me in my spiritual development. That's what I'm considering right now.
          Hm lets start with this little statement.
          For me, it would represent my spiritual/magic-practicing self and help me get in the right mindset for prayer, meditation, magical workings, and so forth
          Sorry doesn't even compare to a pen name a writer uses to explore a different medium or genre of material. The rest i'll leave unstated as it is my own opinion of those who have to prepare themselves to be spiritual / occultish.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
            The rest i'll leave unstated as it is my own opinion of those who have to prepare themselves to be spiritual / occultish.
            So I'm Doing It Wrong because I'm not in a spiritual mindset 24/7? Gotcha. I'll make a note of that.

Comment

Originally posted by sea-salt View Post
              So I'm Doing It Wrong because I'm not in a spiritual mindset 24/7? Gotcha. I'll make a note of that.
              Really I think matters like this should be left to opinion. If you want to use one and helps you with your path, then I'd go for it. Others have mentioned reasons as to why they haven't, and I think they're fine if they decide against it.

Comment

I don't exactly have a "magical" name, but habbalah is what I use for all of my spirituality-related stuff. It's a username, sure, but it's a facet of my person. I have my birth name, the online nickname I've had for years, two different pen names, and this username. They're all me and I will answer to any of them.
                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Monsno, for someone whose signature says "I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!" you have been awfully quick to nitpick and cast insult a single line on someone else's comments in a way that really puts me in a "ye doth protest too much" mood.

Please stop. The same scrutiny dealt in kind would not be favorable.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

The mindset thing. You would have to virtually be an ascetic to be in a deep spiritual zone at all times. Or at the very least live in a monastery where that is the thing. Because most of us don't have that option and need to be able to focus on living (truly living which is another type of spirituality for many people) we may take a magical name because it throws us into that deeper spiritual mindset quickly. It's like a cue from a hypnotist. It's a day-to-day short-cut for those of us who don't have the time to get to that deeper spiritual zone over the course of hours on a daily basis. And it's not like you don't have to work to find the name that's going to be just the cue for you and to develop it to mean and do what you need it to.
                    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Honestly, if someone wants to be called RainbowButterfly Moonstone, its none of my business. What and why someone else wants to be called whatever it is they want to be called is none of my business. My job is to call them by the name they give me. What they do with it otherwise or why they want to use it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, to borrow from another quote.

While I'm entitled to think its stupid, etc, being an ass about it only makes me look like an ass.

Though it is a lot to say. I might ask if they have a shorter nickname I could call them.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                        The mindset thing. You would have to virtually be an ascetic to be in a deep spiritual zone at all times. Or at the very least live in a monastery where that is the thing. Because most of us don't have that option and need to be able to focus on living (truly living which is another type of spirituality for many people) we may take a magical name because it throws us into that deeper spiritual mindset quickly. It's like a cue from a hypnotist. It's a day-to-day short-cut for those of us who don't have the time to get to that deeper spiritual zone over the course of hours on a daily basis. And it's not like you don't have to work to find the name that's going to be just the cue for you and to develop it to mean and do what you need it to.
                        Beautifully put, Shahaku. I firmly second this.
                        "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                          Juniper is my "magical" name because I thought that's just what you did, back when I chose to follow a different path than what I grew up with. But really, over time, the name has become such a part of me that it basically IS my name. One of them. lol
                          I can really relate to this. Although not my magical name but rather the user name given to my by the college when I was in 6th form, I love it when I meet online friends offline, and they call me 'Jembru'. It feels so special, like my online life has crossed into the 'real world'. I don't feel that Jembru is a different persona though, but simply a second name, as much a part of me as my given name. It's a nice feeling.
                          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                            [...]I love it when I meet online friends offline, and they call me 'Jembru'. It feels so special, like my online life has crossed into the 'real world'. [...]
                            Same! Like people on here calling me Juni. (I've met a few peeps irl and they called me Juni instead of my real name). ^_^
                            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I never liked witch names because they all sounded ridiculous.

Rainflower Moonwolf or something like that

i just thought that if we wanted to perpetuate stereotypes about witches, then witch names would help that out.
                              A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

I have had a few witchy user/pen namespen, eg. Minerva, maverick. My usual user name is zoeythebuglady. Just because it's fun. Mickel as my true name though, fits me pretty well. I have never felt the desire to change it. My momma made a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X