The Morrigan and Anubis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Morrigan and Anubis?

I've made some recent discoveries and am in the midst of redoing some things about my current path and whom I work with; originally it was Bast because I felt her presence very early in my life (not to mention the swarms of cats that started appearing at my house) and other deities like Selene or those associated with the Sabbats but mainly Bast. The others I felt were temporary but she was the one that stuck around.

Recently I felt like The Morrigan was calling to me and moving to be a more obvious force in my life, especially because I am "fighting" some difficult battles right now ( mainly financial and family). Crows starting appear EVERYWHERE from my house or flying over my car, when I stepped outside, at my workplace etc. I started doing meditations and using my Tarot and everything pointed to her; like she had been there all along but waited until I was old enough to show her presence more.

I know that some disapprove of crossing pantheons but ,as an Eclectic Pagan, my views have always been so long as

• 1) you research the cultures of what you're looking up
    • 2) similar attributes
    • 3)you honor them in a way that isn't disrespectful to either deity

then it would alright. I feel like there is a God presence hovering around me and I'm pretty sure that it's Anubis. He was always my favorite Egyptian God and even though he is linked to the afterlife and mummification I viewed him as the strong, silent guardian who offers protection when you need it. Not to mention both him and The Morrigan started invading my thoughts.

My question is would it be wise to honor him alongside The Morrigan (since both are linked to the afterlife and are guides to the dead) or would it be smarter to keep them separate? So far my space is kinda small because of living at home and has spaces for The Morrigan, Anubis and Bast (although I'm moving Bast to have a separate shrine because I'm getting the feeling she wants some space to herself for now; like she's taken a step back to allow The Morrigan to come forward so I can learn additional things from her.)

I should mention that I have yet to get any negative vibes from any of them so I assumed that it would be okay (I keep getting a vibe that Anubis doesn't really care either way) but a second or third opinion would be welcome :=):

Re: The Morrigan and Anubis?

Originally posted by Akaichou View Post
    I've made some recent discoveries and am in the midst of redoing some things about my current path and whom I work with; originally it was Bast because I felt her presence very early in my life (not to mention the swarms of cats that started appearing at my house) and other deities like Selene or those associated with the Sabbats but mainly Bast. The others I felt were temporary but she was the one that stuck around.

Recently I felt like The Morrigan was calling to me and moving to be a more obvious force in my life, especially because I am "fighting" some difficult battles right now ( mainly financial and family). Crows starting appear EVERYWHERE from my house or flying over my car, when I stepped outside, at my workplace etc. I started doing meditations and using my Tarot and everything pointed to her; like she had been there all along but waited until I was old enough to show her presence more.

I know that some disapprove of crossing pantheons but ,as an Eclectic Pagan, my views have always been so long as

• 1) you research the cultures of what you're looking up
    • 2) similar attributes

then it would alright. I feel like there is a God presence hovering around me and I'm pretty sure that it's Anubis. He was always my favorite Egyptian God and even though he is linked to the afterlife and mummification I viewed him as the strong, silent guardian who offers protection when you need it. Not to mention both him and The Morrigan started invading my thoughts.

My question is would it be wise to honor him alongside The Morrigan (since both are linked to the afterlife and are guides to the dead) or would it be smarter to keep them separate? So far my space is kinda small because of living at home and has spaces for The Morrigan, Anubis and Bast (although I'm moving Bast to have a separate shrine because I'm getting the feeling she wants some space to herself for now; like she's taken a step back to allow The Morrigan to come forward so I can learn additional things from her.)

I should mention that I have yet to get any negative vibes from any of them so I assumed that it would be okay (I keep getting a vibe that Anubis doesn't really care either way) but a second or third opinion would be welcome :=):
    For you, this reply is coming late, but for others seeking it will perhaps be timely.

I have worked with the Morrigan as our primary female household deity for the past seven years. As we are all permitted our own unverified personal gnosis, allow me to share mine. She is quick, with a razor sharp mind and a keen sense of competitiveness. She dislikes braggarts and will often teach them a lesson by tying them up in their own words or making them eat them. However, she loves to see people bring their best game in whatever endeavor and even when she bests (usually!) someone if they have played well she is a generous winner. She is the champion of the hard-working who play by the rules, who are often exploited by those with powerful positions and the tendency to abuse their position. She typically won't start a fight (preferring to outsmart her adversary rather than overpower them) but she NEVER runs from a fight someone else started. She's a bit raucous especially when it comes to laughing at those she's outsmarted, but in gentler moments her voice reminds me a bit of the Dewar's Scotch woman, though of course more Irish than Scottish in affect.

I have worked with Anubis as my primary male household deity for the past five years. He's very different from the Morrigan. He is very much the strong and silent type - when I say he's a man of few words, it's because he seldom needs to say anything at all. There is a sense of immense power and depthless wisdom about him. Where the Morrigan might engage an adversary in a battle of wits worthy of Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch or Robert Downey Jr style) followed by a flawlessly executed rapier duel, Anubis would simply place a roller-skate at the top of a stairwell and stand in the shadows to watch, because he knows exactly where his adversary will be and the most effortless way to cause him to defeat himself. He has a dry sense of humor about awkward or ironic situations - I picture him chuckling with a hand over his mouth at an inside joke he has set someone up for. He has deep compassion and by that I do not mean sappy, syrupy sweet mushiness. He offers dignity, solace and guidance to those who can offer him nothing in return (the dead). Make no mistake, for all his "kinder, gentler" attributes he is a serious deity with great power and wisdom. Nothing flaps him. He is immovable as a mountain, still as the water in an underground cavern. He is the master of whatever is hidden and secrets. Whenever your goal seems blocked, he invariably knows a "secret passage" or shortcut that will get you where you need to go. He is truly the "opener of the way" and can help you out of situations that look insoluble and conjure opportunities where none appeared to be. More over, when death invariably touches your life in some way, he is a comfort and a strength.

I believe that Anubis and the Morrigan are terrific together. At least in my group's practice, they have seemed to manifest a pair of perfectly matched complimentary opposites. Their relationship is cordial but professional (there is no "couple" vibe at all) so it would not be a good mix for those who insist on the God and Goddess having a romantic aspect to their relationship. She is fire and air, he is earth and water.

The biggest thing these two have provided is opportunity and insight (vision). Ever had the experience of "discovering" something that was there all along but you just couldn't see it, until whammo, suddenly you do? Ever had the experience of just being stuck, unable to make progress, then shazam, out of nowhere a door you didn't even realize was there, swings wide open right in front of you? That's what working with these two is like. Yes, they make you do the leg-work. If you sit home playing video games all day while wishing for the perfect job, don't expect an employer to kick down your door to hand you an application. But if you are out there busting your keister looking and doing everything you can to make yourself a valuable asset for some employer, even if the prospects seem hopeless, out of seeming nowhere and opportunity can open up for you. And after they get you that realization or opportunity, you damn well better take advantage of it - or get used to doing things on your own from here on out. These two expect accountability.

Make no mistake, these are not cute, cuddly little figures - these are serious, hard core "face your life, deal with your stuff" deities. This appears to be what most people are calling "dark" these days. If by "dark" you mean ready to put away the rainbow unicorn stuffie and My Little Pony toys and deal with real grown-up stuff on a grown-up level, then yeah, they are "dark". That is one of the things I like about them. They aren't about to coddle the stupid or the lazy. At times, this is difficult, much like I imagine it must be working or studying under Gordon Ramsey - but if you have the constitution to stick it out, he WILL make you a better chef. That doesn't mean it'll always be a fun time but would you rather be coddled and make excuses or would you rather face your issues head on, up your game and overcome them?

Looking for gods to make things easy on you? Keep looking. If, however, you are all about growing into your true potential and leveling up as a human being, they will help you along that path. At least, that is my personal perspective and experience.

I don't have any particular insight regarding Bast but as Anubis and the Morrigan make a perfectly matched pair, Bast would rather be a bit of a 5th wheel in that context, so it doesn't surprise me that she would prefer that when you work with her, you do it separately. JMHO, YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Akaichou View Post

I'm not saying that I disagree with this, but I've never really understood what this meant. Is it wrong to worship both deities on the same altar/in the same prayer?

Because I do that all the time and I don't feel any bad vibes. Sure, Thor/Perun (almost entirely the same deity, to the point where I consider them the same) and Veles don't get along, but that has to do with them as gods, not because they are of different pantheons.

Comment

I think it depends on the deities. I worship Anubis and Bast. Anubis is a quiet guy and is not likely to interfere unless you really have a need for him too or he sees the need to. I have never worshiped The Morrigan, so I can't purely say what might happen, but I think they would be agreeable together. My thing is that Anubis is not a jealous deity. He has never seemed that way to me. He was alone as a personal deity for a while before Bast came along and he never became jealous then. That is my opinion though.
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Working...
        X