Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is a reasonable drinking age?

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    I beat you! 3 and my dad was giving me bottled beer. I saw the pics! I think it was Budweiser.
    LOL My Dad drank Piels beer. ( I don't even know if they still make that!) Grandpa later made his own, and on the first father's day after his death, my dad and I split the last bottle of it. I kept the bottle.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I had beer that a friend brewed,that was to be honest the best beer I ever drank.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Sixteen years old. Old enough to drive, old enough to serve in the reserves, old enough to drink.
        White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
        sigpic
        In Days of yore,
        From Britain's shore
        Wolfe the dauntless hero came
        And planted firm Britannia's flag
        On Canada's fair domain.
        Here may it wave,
        Our boast, our pride
        And joined in love together,
        The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
        The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I think it greatly depends on the person's mind. There are those who like drinking a LOT, those who barely drink for various reasons and those in the middle. So I vote for 21. It's the teens I'm worried about. The ones who drink under pressure of their friends and to show "how brave they are". BS..
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

My personal opinion:

10-13/14 for watered down wine on special occasions
            14-16 for the first smuggled drunken experience
            16 onwards at leisure.

I have the opinion of if you are going to act like a child, I will treat you like a child. Act like an adult, and I will treat you like one.

If they can drink responsibly at 15, then fine by me.

Mostly art.

Comment

In England (Scotland and Northern Ireland are different) the law is flexible:
              18 to buy alcohol in a shop or pub
              16 to drink wine, beer, or cider with a restaurant meal in the company of an adult
              5 to consume alcohol in the home
              That seems sensible to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMcCann View Post
                In England (Scotland and Northern Ireland are different) the law is flexible:
                18 to buy alcohol in a shop or pub
                16 to drink wine, beer, or cider with a restaurant meal in the company of an adult
                5 to consume alcohol in the home
                That seems sensible to me.
                I'm not too sure about the sensibleness of giving a 5 year old an alcoholic beverage. Maybe a sip...but "consuming alcohol in the home" leaves quite a wide door open.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  I'm not too sure about the sensibleness of giving a 5 year old an alcoholic beverage. Maybe a sip...but "consuming alcohol in the home" leaves quite a wide door open.
                  I think the idea is to create a bottom limit, not to encourage you to ply your children with alcohol! But English laws have traditionally been flexible. Take the age of consent:
                  1. Normally, you can have sex with some-one over 16
                  2. but can have sex with some-one 14-16 if you are under 24
                  3. and can't have sex with some-one 16-18 if you are their teacher or employer.
                  We are also very resistant to being told what to do or being regulated.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMcCann View Post
                    I think the idea is to create a bottom limit, not to encourage you to ply your children with alcohol! But English laws have traditionally been flexible. Take the age of consent:
                    1. Normally, you can have sex with some-one over 16
                    2. but can have sex with some-one 14-16 if you are under 24
                    3. and can't have sex with some-one 16-18 if you are their teacher or employer.
                    We are also very resistant to being told what to do or being regulated.
                    Yeah, #2 leaves a lot of room for abuse also. I'm down with "Romeo & Juliet" laws, but (by contemporary standards) a 24 year old having sex with a 14 year old (or even a 16 year old) makes me wonder what the 24 year old's problem with wo/men his/her own age. Its outright predatory. Or, as the hubby just said "A 24 year old having sex with a 14 year old is a pedophile".
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

On the drinking thing remember at one time the water was so bad,that everyone drank beer including kids,they got near beer(almost no alcohol)..I have had near beer BTW..almost not worth drinking..
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

For much of history, beer was considered a breakfast food, and good for ya...
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

That was probably small beer though corby, which bears little relation to beer these days. It'd have been very low alcohol - basically it was brewed just strong enough to be safer to drink than water and the herbs used (now always hops but other things were used in the past) helped with that too.

I think we've got it about right in the UK (18). I have to say I find the idea of 16 year olds behind the wheel fairly terrifying!
                          You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            On the drinking thing remember at one time the water was so bad,that everyone drank beer including kids,they got near beer(almost no alcohol)..I have had near beer BTW..almost not worth drinking..
                            Mr P's grandfather drank nothing but scrumy (local cider) until he was 12 (this was in the 19th century). The water available was downright dodgy.
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Maythe View Post
                              I have to say I find the idea of 16 year olds behind the wheel fairly terrifying!
                              You should. They are. Half the kids I teach shouldn't be allowed to ride bicycles in the street.
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                                I'm down with "Romeo & Juliet" laws, but (by contemporary standards) a 24 year old having sex with a 14 year old (or even a 16 year old) makes me wonder what the 24 year old's problem with wo/men his/her own age. Its outright predatory.
                                Again, it's setting outside limits. To us, the common US situation of a 19-year-old being imprisoned and criminalised for having sex with a 17-year-old comes over as appalling.

Comment

Working...
                                X