Ritual Food for Dietary Restrictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ritual Food for Dietary Restrictions

So I have stupid diet restrictions due to both lifestyle choices and intolerance. Because of that, my not-covenmate and I have to make gluten-free vegan dishes for Beltane. It's totally doable and I have some ideas that will be appropriate, but I was wondering if anyone else has to deal with ritual meals being adjusted for people with allergies, intolerance, or other restrictions?

Re: Ritual Food for Dietary Restrictions

Well I cook for a living so yes I deal with dietary restrictions, allergies, intolerance on a daily basis. My cousin is also vegan. I have one small allergy and its to blue cheese. I'm allergic to the mold, same stuff they use in penicillin. I am known however for ignoring it however.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I was vegan when I was in a coven and it was never a problem. The only sabbat I remember feeling a bit left out of was imbolc because my gods those cheeses looked and smelt fantastic! I'd be sat to the side nibbling on the children's play dough that passed for vegan cheese at the time... which I'd still taste the next morning...

Luckily vegan cream was much more palatable so I could enjoy sitting under a fruit tree eating strawberries and cream on Beltane. Oh and I remember the jam sandwiches.. nothing non-vegan about that, although not so good for a gluten intolerance.

After that, depending on the sabbat, it was mainly fruits, nuts, breads... seasonal stuff really. And our ritual biscuits (which we took turns to bake/burn), only had 3 ingredients, non of which weren't vegan friendly., and no one complained at paying a little more for our wine to ensure so animal parts were involved in the production. So really, I hardly ever felt 'different', outside of imbolc.
      Last edited by Jembru; 01 Apr 2015, 02:28.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I just did a bday party for 10 kids kids, 8 and under, where a kid was allergic to peanuut, tree nuts, tomato, citrus, and milk. Luckily peanut was her only contact allergy.

Grown ups should be able to suck it up. If not, tell 'em to piss off. In this day and age, dietary restrictions should be expected...BUT...I think those people shouldn't expect that everyone will be able to cater to their food needs. 1) its hard to do if you arent used to it, 2) its expensive, and 3) there are too many. plus, lets be honest, it doesnt always taste good.

This is why why, imo, potluck everything. then you can at least eat your own dish.

...So make it something you love!
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

The only time I ever have a problem with dietary restrictions is when its a health fad. I can't tell you the times I have had to stop in the middle of a Saturday night dinner service haul butt to dry storage find the rice flour and a fryer where that had not had raw flour fried in it because I have a guest who is "extreme" glutton intolerance only to be helping pastry at the end of their rush get a ticket for the same "extreme" glutton intolerance with beignets or the stout cake.

I don't approve or appreciate when people who play with the allergy word because they are on a diet or they don't like something. Just tell your server you prefer not to have an ingredient. I will insure its not in your dish... Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant. I have no problem accommodating different people. In fact I enjoy the challenge. Finding recipes that fits the needs of the group AND tastes good to everyone is fulfilling and exciting.
          "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post

I don't approve or appreciate when people who play with the allergy word because they are on a diet or they don't like something. Just tell your server you prefer not to have an ingredient.

I hate this.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I actually do have intolerance to gluten though, and I'm lactose intolerant. The only thing I don't eat by choice is meat. >_>

Comment

I'm a bit late coming to this thread. I know Beltane has come and gone, but it's an interesting topic and I'm sure it will come up again!

I have food allergies to legumes (peanuts, soy, beans, and the like). My reactions range from mildly crappy (carob and guar gum) to anaphylactic shock (peanuts, soy, etc), depending on the kinds of proteins in the beans. It's not really a hard allergy to work with, especially eating a mostly seasonal, traditional European diet. Peanuts didn't come into play until a few years ago, soy, carob, and guar gum are mostly fillers in processed foods, and beans and peas are pretty easy to avoid. It gets challenging in restaurants because of the sheer popularity of soy as a filler ingredient, but other than that, I'm pretty set. You just have to be aware of foods and cross-contamination and things like that...as long as allergens don't touch each other, then even severely allergic people are usually fine. Personally, I host potluck dinners from time to time, and I don't allow most allergens in my home because of the cross-contamination thing. I let everyone know beforehand and tell them what to look out for and stuff like that. Most people are pretty helpful, but they may not know how to deal with food allergies. Also, it just makes them feel better...I've noticed that a lot of people feel nervous when they hear "food allergy," and they seem kind of worried that they'll accidentally kill me. Telling them exactly what's not ok and how to work with it helps them feel at ease.

I also have friends who are severely gluten intolerant (and not just a fad thing....my one friend has to stay in bed for a good week if he even gets a cross contamination) and who are vegetarian. That's where dinners get a bit challenging. Mostly, you can't have a big meal that is vegetarian, legume free, and gluten free...none of those overlap unless you JUST eat fruits, vegetables, and dairy. So, we have some compromises. I'll serve things with gluten, but I'll make it clear which dishes have gluten in them. I'll serve things with meat in them, but I make it clear which those are. At my house, I don't serve anything with my allergies (obviously...how am I going to prepare something I can't even touch?) but other friends sometimes do at their homes and they make sure to tell me. That way, there is something for everyone, but we don't have to prepare entire meals based on numerous dietary restrictions (did I also mention that I have friends who don't eat pork? and friends who can't do lactose?)

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                The only time I ever have a problem with dietary restrictions is when its a health fad. I can't tell you the times I have had to stop in the middle of a Saturday night dinner service haul butt to dry storage find the rice flour and a fryer where that had not had raw flour fried in it because I have a guest who is "extreme" glutton intolerance only to be helping pastry at the end of their rush get a ticket for the same "extreme" glutton intolerance with beignets or the stout cake.

I don't approve or appreciate when people who play with the allergy word because they are on a diet or they don't like something. Just tell your server you prefer not to have an ingredient. I will insure its not in your dish... Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant. I have no problem accommodating different people. In fact I enjoy the challenge. Finding recipes that fits the needs of the group AND tastes good to everyone is fulfilling and exciting.
                This drives me crazy. I think it makes the general public take food allergies less seriously, which is a big problem for people like me.

Comment

śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                  śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

If you are concerned with following the tradition of your ancestors in terms of your ancestor based practice, if you go back far enough, Italians and Sicilians (the descendants of Ancient Rome) are pretty much the Americans (and by American, I mean mutts) of the Ancient world. They are descended from the peoples of Rome: the Etruscan, Ligures, Siciana, Elymian, Latin, Falisci, Umbrian, Oscan, Sabine, Samnite, Aequi, just to name a few of the original inhabitants; not to mention the Celts, the Greeks, the Phonecians, the Illyrians, and others (even Normans) that settled there before Rome became Rome.

What we think of as "Romans" are an amalgamation of peoples that shared a geographical location. As such, I'd personally go with what acceptable Roman offerings were (even if its your more recent relatives are Italian, some of their more distant relatives are bound to be of Rome)--and you don't need pasta for that. Olive oil, wine, grapes, honey, milk, dried figs, cheese, and salt are other traditional offerings in Roman religion. Additionally, you might find some inspiration from the Roman Parentalia--flower garlands, wine, bread soaked in wine, salt, wheat, and "cakes" (more like bread than what we think of as cake) were traditional offerings to the lares (the familial spirits). Also...in the Roman tradition, you share the meal with your familial dead...so if you don't eat (wheat) pasta or bread, get some brown rice pasta (which isn't half bad anyhow) or gluten free bread.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      If you are concerned with following the tradition of your ancestors in terms of your ancestor based practice, if you go back far enough, Italians and Sicilians (the descendants of Ancient Rome) are pretty much the Americans (and by American, I mean mutts) of the Ancient world. They are descended from the peoples of Rome: the Etruscan, Ligures, Siciana, Elymian, Latin, Falisci, Umbrian, Oscan, Sabine, Samnite, Aequi, just to name a few of the original inhabitants; not to mention the Celts, the Greeks, the Phonecians, the Illyrians, and others (even Normans) that settled there before Rome became Rome.

What we think of as "Romans" are an amalgamation of peoples that shared a geographical location. As such, I'd personally go with what acceptable Roman offerings were (even if its your more recent relatives are Italian, some of their more distant relatives are bound to be of Rome)--and you don't need pasta for that. Olive oil, wine, grapes, honey, milk, dried figs, cheese, and salt are other traditional offerings in Roman religion. Additionally, you might find some inspiration from the Roman Parentalia--flower garlands, wine, bread soaked in wine, salt, wheat, and "cakes" (more like bread than what we think of as cake) were traditional offerings to the lares (the familial spirits). Also...in the Roman tradition, you share the meal with your familial dead...so if you don't eat (wheat) pasta or bread, get some brown rice pasta (which isn't half bad anyhow) or gluten free bread.

Comment

I just had a totally irreverent thought coming back from the cafeteria getting b'fast. I got a corn muffin to take home to offer. I'll put some honey on it, put some apple slices (gift of Idunna), and some of the suggestions thalassa made. Since the offering items are so small, I wonder if the gods and spirits will bicker over who gets them... like the two kids arguing over who gets the last Pillsbury Crescent Roll at dinner.

Oh my Gods, how do I come up with this stuff!?

:rofl:

Comment

Working...
                        X