Returning with trepidation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning with trepidation

Hey all, as I start to write this I am feeling both excitement and wariness. I know the title is interesting, to say the least, but I will explain.

15 years ago, I started the long journey that is a practicing Pagan (i'm leaving it at the umbrella term on purpose, being young I was too ADD in my interests to follow a particular path and was jumping around a lot). It was going well, my girlfriend at the time and I had a lot of excitement and enthusiasm and we were learning everything we could. We weren't really on the internet a whole lot so our support structure was basically non-existent as we were currently living in what is known as the Bible Belt of the United States, but we made do. I'm going to do a tl;dr of the time period and just say it was great and I could tell it was going to be a life long journey...

Unfortunately it didn't last due to one particular experience about 12 years ago now.

I was dabbling in deep meditation and astral projection on my own without any guidance except for some books at the local bookstore, which I now know to be a poor decision. The book (I can't remember the title of it) stated that in order to leave the physical so you could travel you had to be so relaxed that your spirit was almost bored, and then concentrate on thinning a section of your bodies natural shield and push through it. One night I was doing just that when I felt that I had finally (after over a year) managed to thin my shield enough to push through. So I went for it, but rather than feeling what others have described as blissful freedom, as soon as I went to exit I felt the most fear inducing, intimidating presence I have ever or most likely will ever experience in my life. It felt like the presence physically forced me back into my body, and it was so powerful that I literally spasmed out of my bed, completely out of breath, like when you get hit in the stomach with a soccer ball and can't breathe for a few minutes. It took me over an hour to calm down, and couldn't sleep the rest of the night.

Within the next month, I stopped any sort of practicing, and even started to disbelieve (I think it was my mind trying to distance itself from the situation). My girlfriend and I broke up and I didn't think about anything related to Paganism for the next 10 years. This was fine, as my wife is 100% athiest, for a while.

2 years ago though, I became friends with a new group of people and a section of them are Pagan to one extent or another. I started to celebrate the solstices with them and it started to make me think back to days past. Since that first solstice, I was unable to force myself to disbelieve any more as I felt the strongest connection to that fire that I have in years to anything. So I started to look back into things on a small scale, until a month or so ago when I remembered that experience from 12 years ago. But being older, rather than running from my problems I decided to try and meet them head on. After much introspection and thought, I realized that what I needed was to share my story with others and build a support structure, learn about what could have gone on back then, and defeat my own fear.

SO, I got a tattoo last night that says 'All knowledge is worth having' and here I am. Telling my story, hoping I won't be judged, and looking to get back into what I truly believe I should have been doing this whole time.

so yea... HI ALL!! sorry for the depressing first post. :=L:

Re: Returning with trepidation

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Greetings and welcome to the forum!
        "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Welcome Strugl. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I hope you find what you need here!
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Welcome, we're glad to have you. I once Astral Projected by accident in my sleep. I panicked myself back and my spirit guide was slightly upset.

if I may weigh my opinion, I think when you Astral Projected, something thought you may have been in danger, not ready, whatever the case maybe and pushed you back. I've heard stories that the Astral Plane can be dangerous.
            A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

Hello there, and welcome to the forum! :3

Comment

Thanks all! Excited to be here

Serria, I've had that thought recently and still hold it as a definite possibility.

Comment

Hey there, and welcome. We typically aren't a very judgy type of crowd so I hope you get on here well.

I messed around with some astral stuff when I was quite young, and to this day I'm still not sure what was real and what wasn't. It's not an easy experience to say the least. I hope you find some happier experiences to offset that bad one.

Beyond that, have you by chance read the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey? I ask because the "All knowledge is worth having" line used quite often in her books. Just made me curious.
                  We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                  It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                  Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                  -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Why yes, that quote is from that series! It's in my top 5 series I've ever read. Happy to see someone else notice

Comment

Originally posted by Strugl View Post
                      Why yes, that quote is from that series! It's in my top 5 series I've ever read. Happy to see someone else notice
                      We have a few folks here very into that series. In fact, one of our members created a meditation based off the Namaah series recently. http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...ting-us-again)
                      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

That's awesome! I loved that section of the series. Thanks for the link to the post, I'm going to bookmark it

Comment

Working...
                        X