Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As a Pagan...what significance does evolution hold for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: As a Pagan...what significance does evolution hold for you?

We're all children of the unfolding cosmos/universe either way. It is said in Norse lore that the gods are only immortal in relation to our ourselves, but there shall come a time when they too must die. Doesn't worry me - just the way things are.

Comment

Evolution is not something I "believe in"...needing to "believe in" something requires faith, and faith is something that you have to have because you can't ever "know" whether it is "true" or not (all of these are squishy words). Evolution is a basic fact of Life*--it is the process by which Life arose, the process by which Life proliferated, the process by which Life diversified (actually multiple processes). This is a scientific fact, and there are a number of theories and very likely hypotheses that explain the mechanisms involved that describe the manner in which it occurs.

The place where it gets squishy (non-scientific) is here--For me...science is the scaffolding that my religion is built upon and the idea that the cosmos is Divine makes the persuit of its unfolding (of how it works) holy work...and Evolution is one of the main ways that the Cosmos unfolds on our world. Spiritually speaking, Evolution is Transformation, and Transformation is a form of Change (the element of Fire)...it is (to paraphrase a line from a tv show) the way the Universe gets to experience itself.

*Life--I capitalize Life in this way to discern the sum of all living things, which are all connected and have a common origin.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I echo others' sentiment. While fascinating, it does not hold special significance to me despite in a sense holding a similiar view to fire as you do, Thalassa.

Comment

Working...
        X