The results of my much talked-about DNA test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The results of my much talked-about DNA test

My family is descended from Italians and Sicilians. My 4 grandparents were born there. Given that Sicily is at a crossroads and has been influenced by everyone who was anyone, I thought it would be a kick to find out our true genetic ancestry. Also because we have no information about my paternal great-grandparents and back, it feels like we popped in out of thin air. I've also had a gut feeling, based on circumstantial evidence, that we have Norman, Norse or other Germanic ancestry. So I popped for the $99 for the 23andMe DNA test. What I found out was a surprise, educational, and inspiring.

In a word (or a few):
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: The results of my much talked-about DNA test

That's so cool.

Comment

Ain't it though!!??

Comment

Gratulerar!
        baah.

Comment

Comment

O this is cool, I didn't know this was a thing that you could o

Comment

Oh yeah, there are a few companies that do it... 23andMe, AncestryDNA, Family Tree DNA. Nat Geo has a genome project but that one is really expensive. I don't even want to think about the detail they go into. My results is more than enough for me to digest. Of course these are all only as accurate as the size of the database. That is, as the database of participants grows, the accuracy and detail will become finer.

Comment

That's so cool!!! My family is so mixed that is almost impossible to guest where we're all came from
                ;(

Comment

Then you need a DNA test! It's really an eye-opener.

Comment

I really wanna do this now. I'm half Irish which is the culture I mainly grew up in but I'm also apparently Czechoslovakian, Austrian, Italian, English (possibly Hungarian). Lol, thanks for being a mutt dad.
                    A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

I'm glad I started something for someone. :bounce: I was raised Italian/Sicilian-American, not knowing anything about the history other than Sicily was invaded and had settlements by many powers. You just never think you could have that diverse a mix, or that your ancestors and DNA relatives could be so far flung. I have a few in Cuba via Spain; there is Morocco, Tunisia, Russia, Hungary, Finland; even Brazil and Australia, but that's not the end of it. They don't have my name, of course, because these other people go back to our common 4-5x great grandparents. That's 64 and 128 people who made whoopy and produced thousands of offspring.

The mtDNA and yDNA mutate only every couple 10s of thousands of years, so it's a foregone conclusion that all these people are related, descending from those 64 or 128 people. Here's one that blew me away... relatives in India and Bangladesh. Before I dug deeper into the reports the description of my father's haplotype says that it even migrated into South Asia. Maybe that's why I had an affinity for Hinduism. lol

My mother's line is probably the one that gave rise to the Northern European ancestors. Hers is very common in Europe. In fact 40-50% of Europeans share the H haplotype. All from one woman who lived ~40,000 years ago. So you see, we all have our own mitochondrial Eve and y chromosomal Adam.

Knowledge of our origins blows the lid off of "racial purity" bull crap, and "folkish" beliefs. Thomas Jefferson, clearly of British ancestry? Nuh uh, he has the same haplogroup as mine through my paternal line. Thomas Jefferson's paternal DNA originated in the Middle East. Eye-opening, huh?

Comment

So why'd you decide on the 23 group? I hadn't realized this was so affordable. Might do it when I actually have a disposable income again.
                        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I compared the 3 of them, 23andMe, AncestryDNA and FTDNA (Family Tree DNA). AncestryDNA seemed to push the family tree and Ancestry.com angle. I'm not really interested in finding relatives (actually I'm trying to get away from them! lol), I'm interested in the genetic ancestry and migrations. FTDNA is supposed to have a larger database and is more detailed, but it is more expensive. Some people do a couple of tests. I thought 23andMe was a good middle ground. But as always ymmv. I would do a Google search on something like 'DNA test comparisons'.

Comment

Wonder if there's anywhere I could get this done here. We Brits tend not to be as fascinated by our heritage as you are across the pond. So there may not be a market for affordable DNA testing here. I'd love to know how much Scottish I actually have. I know I had a great aunt and uncle from Glasgow (although, I'm not even sure we were blood-relatives), who I could never understand as a kid! My family name is Bruce, and we have red-heads on both sides of the family, so there's gotta be some Celt in the mix. I just don't know how much and it would be nice to find out. I've often felt I was born on the wrong side of the boarder.
                            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

There is one through National Geographic that runs about $200,and it seems is supposed to give you a map of how your ancestors migrated from one area to other areas..also mentioned if you were in a neanderthal line or other.

By participating, you will:

• Discover the migration paths your ancient ancestors followed hundreds—even thousands—of years ago, with an unprecedented view of your ancestral journey.
                              • Learn what percentage of your genome is affiliated with specific regions of the world.
                              • Find out if you have Neanderthal or Denisovan ancestry.
                              • Have the opportunity to share your story and connect with other Genographic Project participants, helping us fill in the gaps in the human story.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/n...Id=2001246&gsk

Not sure how accurate any of these things are,lots of places hyping this.
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                              X