This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guns

It only takes about a half an hour to make a functional shotgun and is completely legal in the USA.
    All it take is a drill and a hacksaw and a couple of pieces of pipe and fittings.

This is why you will never be able to get rid of guns.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I currently have a few (and have had many,many,many more in the past) firearms ... I used to hunt back in my younger days ... Now I have the ones I do for two reasons ... They are fun to shoot and they are here "just in case" ... I used to have a concealed carry permit but since gaining weight it is hard to hide a gun so I carry in the open (when I do carry) ... Usually though I leave them at home ... I have no problem with a waiting period for handguns (within reason) ... I can if I wanted own a full automatic machine gun if I pay the fees and get the permits ... Sometimes I am tempted because I have fired a few and they are FUN ... But the cost of firing one is astronomical even for someone that loads their own ... I don't care for civilian versions of military arms because of function and reliabiity ... I prefer a good solid bolt or single shot ... Altho my pump shotgun is good ... As far as handguns go I prefer revolvers ... Less parts to break ... Less jams ... And if you cant hit your target in 6 shots you are either too far away or a really bad shot and shouldn't have a gun in the first place ... ... ... Enough ramble for now ...
      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Magus,
        I think we could be good friends. I am retired now and still planning on getting a few more guns (mostly for competitions at the local range). All but one of my rifles are bolt action. The one exception is an SKS that I rarely shoot due mostly to the guns lack of accuracy. It is nearly minute of man at 100 yards. All my other center-fire rifles shoot under 1 MOA.
        I like wheel guns better than anything else. Like you say, they are more reliable. I am too old to fight and too young to die so if someone intends harm I'll have to shoot them. I've been carrying for 44 years and If my Ruger Security-Six is not on me I feel undressed. My wife takes comfort in the knowledge that I can fend off anyone with ill intent but I have never pulled it on a person in all that time. (I did have to draw on an animal once that came at me real upset). I have never killed anything or even fired the gun outside of hunting with it once. A 357 is a great caliber when the loads are put together right but even with the accuracy and velocity I get with nearly maximum loads I limit its use to 50 yards. When I was shooting pistol silhouette with it I got two perfect scores in my last year of AAA class shooting with a production revolver. I haven't hunted in just over 10 years due to a back injury from a rear ender collision while waiting at a stop light. I am getting better and don't take narcotics of any kind for pain anymore but I still take a lot of aspirin. I figure in two more years I will be ready to get a tag and bring home my favorite kind of meat. (free range venison)
        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.

Comment

And from the looks of it we are only a few hours apart (Less than 8) ... I will be 60 in 2 weeks so I think we might be close in age too ... I hear WalMart is still a fair place for ammo ... My favorite rifle is a flintock (never runs out of ammo) ... Favorite pistol would be a 38 with handloads ... I don't like recoil that much .. Probably an olde S&W Model 10 ... Which firearm to own is a real personal choice, but I think everyone should have the choice ...
          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I have just a half decade on you. I was 65 just last month. I am 5 hours from Seattle and I miss the group we had and all the pagan activities there. The Walmart here is not even good for fishing gear and their ammo selection is very poor. There are three other stores that have much better selection of guns, ammo and reloading supplies. BiMart is closest to me and then Ranch and Home and Cascade are about tied.
            I lost all interest in the smoke poles a long time ago but there is an active group at the range. Most of my rifles are bolt actions and I like the wheel guns more than semi-autos but I have both semi-auto rifles and pistols. Some of my guns are for the different competitions in which I shoot and some are for hunting and some are just to protect my family from the varmints. My favorite handgun is the Ruger Security-Six I have had since I was 21. It, being a 357, does have a bit of recoil but it is very accurate and it has become a natural fit in my hand. It is one of the very few that I shoot instinctively. I agree that personal "feel" and choice is what makes the gun work for the individual.

Comment

This ties in with discussions about state's rights. In some states, you can buy a gun for cash at a yard sale. And I mean assault rifles, etc., not just little bitty things or hunting rifles. No paper trail whatsoever. In other states, you need all kinds of security checks. So, obviously, people go on road trips and make purchases. How do you stop that?
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Does the government limit where you can buy a kitchen knife? How about a baseball bat? There are limits on buying assault weapons. You need to pay the tax to own any fully automatic firearms. The AR, AK, and SKS rifles are not fully automatic guns. They are semi-autos which means that they load the next round when you pull the trigger and fire one round. If you hold the trigger down it doesn't continue to fire like an assault weapon.
                My point is that trying to limit the legal accessibility of guns only affects those of us who follow the laws.More people in the USA are killed by beatings, without weapons other than body parts than are killed with rifles. You can't stop or even slow violence by placing limits on the types of things people use to defend themselves. (OK, in England you are not supposed to defend yourself.) The police don't defend you against crime. They are there to process the crime scene to gain evidence to prosecute the criminal IF they catch them.

I am always amazed when I hear Pagans who are against guns or self defense of any kind. We, Pagans in general, are taught that we have personal responsibility for what happens in our lives. We think nothing of defending ourselves from psychic attacks but some would rather let government agents "protect" them from physical harm. We are supposed to be connected to nature yet we do not want to protect ourselves, as the animals do, with the gifts the Goddess gave them for that purpose. We would rather cower and let those that would do us harm get away with it and then call the police. It is your responsibility to protect yourself. If you were an antelope would you hobble your legs and have your horns cut off and let the predators have the advantage? Antelope use their speed and horns to defend themselves. They train from the time they are born to defend themselves. Why is it that we don't?

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                  OK, in England you are not supposed to defend yourself.
                  Rubbish. The law here enables you to defend yourself proportionally. If you're cornered, or defending your home, you can do whatever is necessary, up to and including lethal force, in self defence. What you can't do is kill some-one to avoid a beating, fight when you could retreat, or shoot some-one who has turned their back (like some US cops).

The fact is that all the guns floating about the US do not make you safer. Compare the published crime figures, if you don't believe me.

Comment

The report that was forced by the Obama administration on the Surgeon general showed that between 1 1/2 million and 3 million citizens either prevented a crime or stopped a crime with a personal gun each year.
                    Now if you remove those guns from the public you would have those people as victims of crime instead of part of the solution to crime.
                    In The UK if someone tries to rob you at knife point and you hit them with a cricket bat and they die as a result you are guilty of murder. Especially if someone looking at the area after the fact thinks you could have run like a rabbit. Hogwash!

Comment

Sadly, there's been a mass shooting today at a community college in Oregon. Reports say 10 dead. So both gun advocates, and those against, will be out in full force.
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

That was the first thing I saw on the news after waking from my nap...did not make me a happy camper to wake to that..
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'd like to read this report from the government. Do you have a link?
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...ted_at_um.html ... Here ya go ... Including Obamas speech ...

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ore...ollege-n437051 ... http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34419802 ... http://www.kgw.com/story/news/crime/...ting/73154898/ ... http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/01/at-le...affiliate.html ... Have to give you at least a few different sources ... And another tidbit of info ... Average victim fatalities when aw enforcement stops the shooter --- 13 ... Average victim fatalities when civilian stops the shooter --- 2 ...An armed and propery trained janitor could have lessened the body count ... And to think people egged him on and supposedly gave him suggestions on what weapon to use ... We should put them on trial for involuntary man slaughter ... 13 counts of it ... Or at east conspiracy to commit murder ...

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                              Criminals will always have weapons.
                              Agreed.

I don't have one. My cousin taught (or tried to) me how to shoot one of his handguns and a turkey shooter (my shoulder is ruined so anything that really kicks I can't use). At the end of the day, I couldn't hit the big wooden board from 15 feet away so... I'm thinking big dog instead.

The concept of everyone being able to buy a handgun used to bother me a lot. Especially when on those rare occasions you'd witness a few idjits sporting unconcealed firearms in a grocery store or something walking around like they owned the place and randomly saying "boom" and laughing. In that sense, it still really bothers me.

But in light of recent events, I may try giving the firing range another chance in the future.

Comment

It's strange, the cultural difference. In the US you seem to feel safer if you're armed to the teeth. In the UK we feel safer because we're not. Even the UK police do not want to be armed. We have armed response units, but the average bobbies on the beat don't want a gun.
                                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                                X