Witchcraft for Closeted Folk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Witchcraft for Closeted Folk

For those of us in the broom closet, with limited space and limited privacy, how would one go about practicing? When I was Wiccan, spellcraft and dedicating/charging tools and magical items required quite a lengthy ritual process that required a lot of time, a lot of tools, a lot of space, and a lot of speaking aloud. When I lived alone this was fine, but that's not my present living situation and moving just to have a space private enough to perform rituals is not a viable option at this point. I used to have a huge, gorgeous altar. Now I'm having to hide crystals and oracle decks in my nightstand drawer.

Any suggestions on how I can practice without needing to speak aloud, use lots of tools or proper, and I can do in small spaces (in summary, discreet) would be tremendously appreciated.

Re: Witchcraft for Closeted Folk

Firstly may I ask what limits your space so much? Parents, spouse, roommates, etc?
    Secondly, what type of dwelling do you live in. How large is your space, or what is around your house, IE forests, beaches, desert, mountains, etc
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

I'd like some information on this, too.

Right now I'm practicing out of a dorm room that I share with my roommate, and I've made do with a good will coffee table that I've set up as my altar, but it feels really uncomfortable to practice anything out loud knowing that the walls are so thin.

I've heard about sort of pocket or "To Go" miniature altars, like inside altoids cans and stuff.

Comment

We all have busy lives. Some of us have children, parents, jobs, school etc... We all are busy!!! Alot of people dont have the time to setup a candle, and cast a spell for there needs. (unless its a long term need) Some of us are so busy we have no time for spells at all. (there are really busy people in the world) however that

Took an age to find but still relevant.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
          Firstly may I ask what limits your space so much? Parents, spouse, roommates, etc?
          Secondly, what type of dwelling do you live in. How large is your space, or what is around your house, IE forests, beaches, desert, mountains, etc
          I live in a multi-generational household with Christian relatives who would crap bricks if they thought I was "opening demonic portals". I'm not in any sort of danger of being disowned or kicked out, but just out of respect and to keep the peace, since I am the "odd man out", I try and be as discreet as possible. I have a bedroom and an attached den area, but the den isn't private and my husband goes to bed early, since he gets up for work around 5am. So performing rituals in the bedroom after everyone else in the house has gone to bed isn't the best option either. As far as surrounding areas are concerned, I live in the suburbs. :/

Originally posted by Naiad View Post
          I'd like some information on this, too.

Right now I'm practicing out of a dorm room that I share with my roommate, and I've made do with a good will coffee table that I've set up as my altar, but it feels really uncomfortable to practice anything out loud knowing that the walls are so thin.

I've heard about sort of pocket or "To Go" miniature altars, like inside altoids cans and stuff.
          I do have a small wooden locking jewelry/keepsake box that could make a very nice portable altar. Thank you for suggesting a miniature!

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
          http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...-being-noticed

Took an age to find but still relevant.
          Thank you for taking the time to find that thread for me. I just downloaded Magic on the Breath​ for my Kindle.
          Last edited by Jaxxie; 16 Apr 2015, 08:09. Reason: spelling

Comment

I guess that depends on what your practice involves. I have a rather simplistic approach to what I do...not because I have to (I live alone) but because it's just how I am. For example, because herbs are important to my practice, I tend to grow them and cook with them a lot. So, for me, the acts of gardening and cooking are part of my "religious expression" if you will. I keep a single, white devotional candle lit as a dedication to my ancestors. Someone else wouldn't take notice of it but *I* know what it represents. I know people that honor their ancestors by dedicating certain plants and flowers to them which they keep and tend to around the house, etc. Most of what I do is incorporated into a rather mundane day-to-day approach to things that an outsider wouldn't even take notice of. If you don't feel a need to (or are unable to) be involved in rituals that take up a lot of time and space then it's easy enough to incorporate numerous, small daily devotions into pretty much anything you do without anyone paying any attention. Throughout the ages, people have had to find ways to hide their practices under the guise of things more "acceptable" to others...it doesn't make their (or your) practice any less valid, just more practical (and do-able) given certain situations. Hope this has helped in some way. Good luck to you...

Comment

Other than Mrs. P's book, I really recommend The Circle Within by Diane Sylvan and To Walk a Pagan Path by Alaric Albertsson for this.

Its not *what* you do, its *how* you do it, and most of the *how* can be done without anything obvious. The trappings are helpful, but unessential. And most of the trappings can be disguised as "moodlighting" or "knicknacks". I have an altar at work in my office...its a bowl with some dried plants, some stones, a shell, a cotton pod, a pinecone, and a feather. It looks like I like nature.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

I live with Catholic parents and my altar is on my bookcase. I recently read Everyday Witchcraft by Deborah Blake. I would recommend that also.
                Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I have several altars set up at three different forests in very discreet areas. If there is a will there is a way.
                  "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                  And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                  They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                  The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                  - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Im curious as to what branch of Wicca you were (and may still be) practicing. Since I don't have the time or means for huge rituals or tons of tools so I just stick to the basics and honestly, it doesn't make me less of a Wiccan. My goddess has never really minded (at least I don't think she has) that I don't put exuberant amounts of time into my faith. I am a full time student with a job to save for higher education as well as my love of pageantry and my current health to worry about. Sometimes things just can't be elaborate, and the Gods don't usually mind it.
                    A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

Working...
                    X